Age at time of Dx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80!

My grandmother was 80 when she was diagnosed! She had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) for so many years. Her RA was really bad and I think that overshadowed the MS. She had 14 children! Can you imagine having two automimmune diseases and 14 children? I think of her on my bad days. Wow.

I have a friend who on the other hand was diagnosed at age 16. She is 56 now. She started out with Optic Neuritis.

-Karen
    Karen,
    Part time Registered Nurse
    Diagnosed 2012 just started Gilenya Jan. 12th, 2015. Formerly on Betaseron for two yrs

Comment

49 years 11 months

Although I had weird things happen off and on for years.
      Only one relapse though Just more than 12 years ago.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Started having symptoms at 30 but wasnt diag till recently...im 40 now.

Comment

diagnosis

2 mnths ago today at age 33
          Dx: 10-5-12
          Began Avonex: 11-21-12

Comment

age at dx

I was 49 but had sx probably for 12 years.
            Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

addendum: I'll be 62 next month and on tysabri for the past 5.5 years.
              Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

DX at 54 one year ago

Reading all the posts here have been helpful. Not much activity now but I am new. So heres my story. Had numbness of the skin on my right leg. Ignored it, I work a lot with heavy lifting so lower back pain comes and goes.

Then about three months later the skin on my right torso as if a line were drawn in the middle of my stomach and back, went numb. This I had to have checked out and within a fews weeks I had a dx. MS. I started on Avonex as soon as I was able to get it.

Since then only one episode and that was ON. So I feel lucky and hopeful that I will still be able to work and keep an income and ins. for many years. Of course that will mean that disability will hold off. Like I said hopeful.

Comment

Older and just diagnosed

I was diagnosed at age 55, I went to the ER with a bad headache, was admitted and given the diagnosis, : "you have MS" shock or what? Now on Avonex, mostly tinging symptoms to one hand but some much sharper and really bad pains in head and ribs of all places. My sight is good, no problem there, I have considered every scenario and none of them are good....... what can I expect???

Comment

Dx @ 29

I was Dx a few months before I turned 30. I had ON about fours years prior. Ophthalmologist said this could possibly mean MS in my future. Lucky me, she was right on the money! Just started having mobility issues in the last couple of years. Was very athletic all my life. Most recently a cyclist, but heat & balance ended my riding. Texas gets very hot! Anyway, that's it in a nutshell.

Comment

I was 33, but could have been diagnosed 4 years younger when I first started with TN. I insisted that the endodontist fix my teeth because they were hurting so badly. He did 4 root canals in the front 4 teeth on the right side before he said, you need to see a neurologist. I saw one. He said you know, we should check you for MS because you are so young to have TN. I was having none of that. I said no thank you. I feel fine other than my teeth.

So four years later I was diagnosed with stroke-like symptoms. Learned my lesson.
                      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                      Tysabri

Comment

I was 65 when diagnosed. My neuro said all the signs pointed to MS EXCEPT my age! After the spinal MRI it was confirmed. I have had symptoms on and off for at least 10 years but it only got bad 2 years ago. Now I don't know whether to blame my age or the MS for the balance, sight and other problems.

Comment

I WAS 27 IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.

Comment

I was diagnosed this past November, just before my 60th birthday. This after a year of tests to determine what caused the gait and balance problems. Best I can determine, the symptoms were present only for about two years before diagnosis.

Comment

Age?

56 when I received a definite dx.
                              the lesions and bands in the spinal fluid was found approx 6 years earlier.

The nuero thinks I may have had MS since mid to late teens as that is when some of my symptoms began to show up.

Comment

This is a unique question because diagnosis was much more difficult 30 years ago. I am 62, and was diagnosed at 52, but I know my first episode was when I was around 35. Symptoms were all sensory at first and got somewhat better over time. Dr. suspected MS but there was no treatment at the time and the various tests were not conclusive.
                                Then 10 years ago, I had another episode, and recognized it as the same thing that had happened before, only worse. Lookibng back, I see lots of symptoms I had throughout the years, but just didn't recognize, like buzzing, numbness, and tingling. This has been some ride, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X