Trans, Hormones and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans, Hormones and MS

Im 29 and FTM transgender, Diagnosed a yr ago, and I am on hormones, at first my dr said there would be no problem and my endocronogist agreed there is no correlation. However I heard of another FTM who had to lower his dosage bec of flares due to hormones. Now I havent had flares but my symptoms to stir a little before my shot every two weeks ot testosterone and then go away there after.

I am afraid that i might be messing with something bigger that I shouldnt however I dont know how to not complete myself. I intend to have surgery as well. I dont want to live in fear of not completing myself but I also dont want to undergo a devastating episode. I guess i just needed a place to express my fears where someone could maybe understand where I am coming from, relate or at least not be judgmental.

I already feel like I am going through this alone as my partner left me when I got sick last yr because she couldnt handle what was going on. I see a counselor but she doesnt really give good advice she says its up to my drs as of what to do, and they hear my fears but say they are unwarranted. I say wonderful bedside manner guys.

***Post broken into paragraphs for readability. Some of our members have vision problems with large blocks of type.***

Originally posted by ajroller1981 View Post
    Im 29 and FTM transgender, Diagnosed a yr ago, and I am on hormones, at first my dr said there would be no problem and my endocronogist agreed there is no correlation. However I heard of another FTM who had to lower his dosage bec of flares due to hormones. Now I havent had flares but my symptoms to stir a little before my shot every two weeks ot testosterone and then go away there after.

I am afraid that i might be messing with something bigger that I shouldnt however I dont know how to not complete myself. I intend to have surgery as well. I dont want to live in fear of not completing myself but I also dont want to undergo a devastating episode. I guess i just needed a place to express my fears where someone could maybe understand where I am coming from, relate or at least not be judgmental.

I already feel like I am going through this alone as my partner left me when I got sick last yr because she couldnt handle what was going on. I see a counselor but she doesnt really give good advice she says its up to my drs as of what to do, and they hear my fears but say they are unwarranted. I say wonderful bedside manner guys.

***Post broken into paragraphs for readability. Some of our members have vision problems with large blocks of type.***
    Welcome, welcome

Thank you for your honest, open hearted post.
    MS has affected us all and binds us together.
    Each of us has a different life and so there shouldn't be any judging. No matter who you are, MS is a lousy disease.

It's not uncommon unfortunately for some to leave because of our diagnosis. MS isn't for wimps, is it?

Hormones and how they work with MS is not something I know enough to say anything about, but it's a great question you posted.

Thank you again for your post and feel free to change counselors if you you don't feel like it's helping.
    I did that years ago when the counselor I saw made a comment about how odd my gait was. I felt like a curious object to this person instead of a person in need of help.

The new counselor was much better.

Comment

@ twisterred

i agree MS is a lousy disease, and today I have just been super struggling. Good advice bout getting a new counselor. She has been very helpful with a lot of things I just have a hard time finding someone who specializes in chronic illness as well as gender identity disorder which her practice does. I dunno its craziness. I have come to see that we are all like one big connected family. And I hope that my experiences can help someone along their journey as many of others out there such as yourself will and have helped me

Comment

MS Testosterone opinion

I'm a heterosexual male, I know a very healthy FTM very well, we see each other every week for dinner and besides the usual updating on our lives, political rants, etc. sometimes we compare our differing testosterone raising methods and effects of raising T levels. About five years ago I had my T levels go to zero following 18 months of low dose mithantroxone [?] infusions, it is primarily a chemotherapy agent.

I started with gel, found it didn't raise my T levels into the low end of normal and was concerned about transferring it to my female friends, I now self inject T every other week. My friend uses the under the skin pellets, I'm convinced it is preferable because T levels are more stable, when I can find a doctor familiar with them I'll switch.

With T levels near the high end of normal, I'm more energetic, more interested in sex, definitely in good spirits, I exercise regularly. My friend is weight lifting, absurdly strong, now has to shave, and is addressed as sir by waiters.

As an MS'er with a progressive form of this disease I share your concerns, but I'm not aware of any MS related side effects, I am aware of the general complications of steroids, willing to trade the chance of them for a more enjoyable life.

Good luck with your difficult but necessary path.

Comment

Here is a bit of info about Testosterone and effects on the immune system. {URL}http://www.thisisms.com/article-181-thread-0-0.html{URL}.

I have searched for info about HRT and transgender people (MtoF) and MS and have found that there is almost no information available. If you can speak to an endocrinologist, they are the experts on blood chemistry. If the T decreases your GID and makes you feel good then keep perhaps a lower dosage would yield similar results. MS and GID are both no fun,
          You only live NOW.
          SX 1999 /DX 2003
          norml.org

Comment

Hello. I am at the opposite side of the scale (M2F). Also have had MS since '05.
            I don't really know if this is any help, but any research I could find would come to the same conclusion. Testosterone (during puberty at least) defines the thickness of the nerve linings. This is why there is a lower occurrence of males with MS.
            Whether HRT causes any of this to change post puberty is something my neuro has not been able to find out for me, as no research has been done in this area.
            Once again, the TG community goes blind lol.
            Hope this late posting brings a little hope, Shae.

p.s. Glad to see that I'm not totally alone on being TG with MS.

Comment

My thoughts

I am a post-gastric bypass patient, as well as, being dx'd w/ MS in 05. Now, I don't know much about this particular hormone change, but I do know that the sudden change in my body (due to the weight loss) caused the MS to show itself.
              I guess there are many things that can cause a flare - even as simple as stress.
              It sounds like it is not a question of "should I quit taking them" it is "how do I deal with MS and my life". The same as it is for all of us. It seems part of you. Like my surgery is part of me.
              Oh, and I'm a really kool femme too lol.

Comment

Thank you...

Although I have opinion on what does what for your transition... Except the counseling aspect.

Are you on a DMD? I would wonder if that has an impact toward your Testosterone injections. If the immune system is effected I would wonder if that has an impact. I take Gelynia (the new oral med) and it changes the dynamics of the "t" cell in my white blood cells.

Just curious, please consider my question of positive intent.

Comment

Trans and Hormones

hello im a trans guy with MS too . and I need to know if the surgeries hurt me .
                  it's actually emergency thanks for answering .

Comment

Hi I have been on a number of different hormones for the past 38 years due to my pituitary gland being removed 38 years ago I have had MS for the past 20 odd years, My endocronogist and Neurologist believe the hormones have masked the symptoms of MS, you need to trust the doctors know what they are doing Good luck Craig

Comment

Also a tranaguy

Is anyone still active on here? I know these posts were some time ago but I hope so. I just had top surgery and am on T gel. How are you doing on HrT? Does it affect MS? My doctors don’t seem to know.

Comment

Working...
                      X