ms clinic doc doesn't believe me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ms clinic doc doesn't believe me

Yesterday i had a visit with my ms clinic doc. I had had another doccumented flare up from the er so i figured i was going to get a chance to talk to the doctor about some of the things going on from that.She wasnt even all the way into the room before she started telling me that i should stop going to the er when i think im flaring up unless im sure i need steroids. um, how am I suppose to be the one to know that? she then tells me my mobility issues arent ms related, they are depression related and that i tell a good ms story. I have been diagnosed with ms, been treated for ms for the past 3 years now but all of the sudden its depression causing my issues and not the ms.

I haven't been able to get this conversation out of my head since it happened.I honestly am left wondering what it is exactly im suppose to do . Me having fallen from my legs giving out isn't in my head, occupational therapists telling me i need a wheelchair for when i go out isn't in my head or depression related. im just so mad and sad at the same time. The MS clinic is suppose to be the place where you dont have to fight to be believed anymore. sorry for the rant. i just had to get it off my chest.

***Post broken into paragraphs for readability; some of our members have vision problems.***

Hi Suzib,
    How terribly unprofessional! Horrid to want to make you feel that you're inconveniencing the ER. Getting in to see your neuro can sometimes take so long, much longer than you'd want to wait.

I left the MS Clinic because of the poor bedside manner displayed by my neuro. My new neuro is fabulous. If you can shop for a better neuro, I wish you the same luck.

Did you get treatment? How are you feeling?
    Laurakim

Comment

wow.

there have been a few times when i know i needed roids but my neuro(s) have always understood and gave them to me. (like when one leg wouldn't work this summer, but w/e)

this is not in your head. and i suppose if u only think ur having a heart attack...u need to know?

and say it is depression related...is the depression MS related? thereby making it MS related by logic.

best of luck. I would be looking for a new doc if i was u
      Learn from yesterday
      Live for today
      Hope for tomorrow

Comment

thanks for the replies. no, i never did get treated except badly. This doc is my 3rd neurologist. so now with everything that was barked at me i have totaly lost my confidence. I just keep thinking the next one wont believe me either.here we are 3 days later and i still cant get the conversation out of my head. as stupid as it sounds it shook me to my core. everything i thought i knew was true i question now. this really sucks as if feeling badly isnt fun enough.

Comment

I am experiencing the same BS with my MS doctor....first of all I have been diagnosed for almost three years and Ive seen 4 different doctors at my MS clinic when I thought my Doctor was my only doctor and the only one I would be seeing....so every time I go in a different doctor has to read my file get to know whats going on with my MS while I sit and wait. I have called the clinic on several occasions about symptoms that ALL have nothing to do with MS....Ya ok! I was in the ER a few months ago b/c I got a migraine soooo bad at the same time my face and arms/hamds went tingly I couldnt even walk to the car....the doctors in the ER knew nothing about MS gave me a spinal tap thinking I had an anurisim (which I did not) the migraine lasted a week consistantly the worst week of my life....I called my MS doctor to tell them what had happened said migraines are not a typical symptom of MS...WHAT google it I beg to differ!! I also said I would like an MRI just to check up on things....still havent heard back and that was like 3 months ago....I feel like an idiot for even calling them when I get off the phone...unless its something major that lasts at least 48 hours....whatever this whole MS is BS to me cuz noone knows anything especially ME!!!

Comment

Wow what a shame that so many people are being treated in an unprofessional manner. After tests came back negative a doctor told me that "nothing showed up in your tests, we know everything is ok so maybe you won't feel the pain anymore" (in other words you're probably just faking it). I wasn't too pleased with that answer either.

I know when my mom was first going through the diagnosis process she did switch neurologists because the doctor she had said their was no way she had MS because her MRI was negative. Of course many people with MS have lesions that show up on their MRIs but not everyone does. And apparently this particular doctor thought it was impossible. I know its very frustrating when you feel like you have a better understanding of things than the doctor does.

But if you keep having issues like this one I'd say that switching doctors is a good option. I know its also frustrating to explain your story and expereinces to each new doctor. But in the end if you can find a really good, patient and understanding neruo it will be worth it (and there are some great ones out there)
            good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X