Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsChip View Post
    I was actually told yesterday that its the wrath of god punishing me??????
    Well my God doesnt work like that- he may test me but he's loving and kind xxxx
    Me too....
    I had a preacher tell me that because of sin I had this disease. WTF????
    If sin was the reason for MS, EVERYONE would have MS.

Can I get an Amen?

Comment

Amen!

Five years ago, I asked my family to wait with telling anyone that I had been diagnosed with MS until I had time to deal with it personally. So I finally got brave one day at my daughter's sporting event. I was using a cane back then, and a Mom of a girl on my daughter's team asked me why I was using a cane, and if it was arthritis. I was 49 at the time, and I replied that I did have arthritis along with several other problems, but the main reason for the cane was because I have MS. Then she looked at me and said, "But you seem like such a nice person."

Now I can look back and laugh, but at the time, that statement kind of shocked me. So after that her daughter was always busy when invited to any team get togethers my daughter had at our house. But I am very forgiving, which is very easy with the memory loss I deal with. I am very forgiving. I think a lot of people are surprised when I am kind to them. But I was always kind. It's not just because of the memory loss. But maybe it is because of the memory loss, hmmmm? The hardest thing for me was to no longer be able to help my family and others. But even with all this junk I'm dealing with, I'm still finding a way to help. A little goes a long way. Amen!

Comment

Newly dx, heard them all already!

I am a new poster, been diagnosed as "probable MS", awaiting more test results for confirmation. I have been reading these statements & even in the few weeks I have been telling friends & family, I have heard nearly all of these!
        "It could be worse...it could have been a brain tumor"
        "You must be tired because you are coming down with a cold"
        "I know so & so and they travel & work & look great" now I know they must be doing a great job of hiding how they really feel if they do all that & still look great!
        I don't have alot of symptoms yet, but the ones I do have are invisible, so if I say anything about them, everyone lets me know they are experiencing the same thing..."OMG...I must have MS too...I forget things all the time, or I am tired all the time!" Whatever...
        "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

:0

When I told my best friend of 20 years I had MS, he became very upset and told me ..

People die from MS.. what will you do? I cant loose you.

He is HIV positive.

Comment

"you`re so lucky to stay home all day and do whatever you want." ?????@#%$&^, i`ll gladly trade and go to work!!!
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

literally had someone tell me well AT LEAST it isnt cancer.. seriously?
              would you want anyone to have either? to be sick at all?
              people are so just idiots some times

My mom thought it was a form of aids... ya

Then when I had shingles she thought I had a sexually transmitted disease and looked at my husband funny for the longest time.

Comment

With DH's official DX in September, he has not told many people. Against his better judgment he told his blabbermouth mother who heavily hinted to all the other family members that something was wrong with him, and eventually telling a few others.

During Christmas dinner his aunt made up this elaborate story how a family friend was DXed with MS to draw it out of my DH. So DH spilled it, and at the end of the night, when we were leaving, the aunt thanked him for telling everyone and said "I think we had a right to know."

What? A right to know? He has had symptoms for at least 10 years, he isn't contagious, you won't ever have to take care of him, and YOU have a right to know? I have to say with my RA, and our son's D, that is the comment that has rubbed me the wrong way more than anything.

DH said he will never tell them anything again unless he is on his death bed.
                DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
                Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
                DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

Comment

[QUOTE=NancyJones;1267956]literally had someone tell me well AT LEAST it isnt cancer.. seriously?
                  would you want anyone to have either? to be sick at all?
                  people are so just idiots some times

I had a friend say this exact thing...at least it isn't brain cancer! Whatever...it still stinks!
                  "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

She said the wrong thing

When I was first diagnosed (12 yrs ago), my DS made the "At least it's not a brain tumor" remark. I replied that they did find a brain tumor, which was true. I was actually quite amused, because I knew it would freak her out. After her "OMG" , I explained that it is small, benign and only needs to be monitored occassionally to make sure it's not growing.

I think that's the last time she has made that type of statement to anybody.

Comment

My Mom said this

Not DX yet, i'm in the limbo of all the testing, but she told me if you would get something to help your nerves, you would get better, it's your nerves that are making you sick!

Well mom, you're kinda right, but its not the anxiety and depression doing it, its the sickness, bringing on them, not visa-versa!

She thinks I need a shrink, not a neurologist!

Comment

my husband was told by one of my co-workers when i was out on sick leave because of the MS "she just needs to get a grip or find another job".

i like to get a grip on that......neck.
                        dx:RRMS 3/10/09
                        DMM: Low dose Naltrexone

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
                        ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by southernms View Post
                          my husband was told by one of my co-workers when i was out on sick leave because of the MS "she just needs to get a grip or find another job".

i like to get a grip on that......neck.
                          -- I love this.. can I help??

Comment

People are funny

I, like the rest of you, have heard all the above stupid comments. I get mad sometimes, depends on the day, sometimes I just ignore or laugh. But the one that got me the most one day where you just say WHAT? A school counselor, yes that's right, I said a school counselor, told me with great enthusiasm that I should sky dive! She was serious! She told me that she heard it would release endorphins from my brain and I would be pain free for about a month. How do you even respond to that? From then on I just give stupid or humorous comments first. Like when I fell into my bosses office. I got up and said to him, "Good morning! Just thought I'd drop in!" He laughed and we had a great working relationship. I wish all could be like him.

Comment

You don't look sick

I get this one all the time even from people I know well. The other one I get is... "When do you get to stop using that cane, are you not better yet". This is from people I also know well. You would think that after seeing me use a can for over 5 years now, they would realize the cane is not going anywhere.
                              I may have MS but MS does not have me!

Comment

Slurred speaking & staggering

After public speaking; someone came up to me, slapped me on the back and said; "have another one"!
                                Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X