Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's have some fun; stupid thing someone has said about dealing with MS

I am in the mood to finally have some fun. Ladies and gentlemen, please post a stupid thing people have said to you about dealing with MS. I'll start, yesterday someone who I barely know, and has no medical background or reason to ask this question, asked me, "Have you been OFFICIALLY diagnosed with MS?" And you may also help me with a response to this question. I just looked at her and said, "yes." When what I really wanted to say was, "What the . . . . is your reason to ask me this question you . . . . . . . . . . .."

Hi Marie, welcome to MSWorld!

In response to your question- hmmmm- there are so many

1. maybe if you didn't spend time doing all your housework you wouldn't be so tired all the time!

2. maybe if you didn't walk, your leg would be stronger!

3. maybe if you got more sleep your brain could function better! (what the @#%^&$#)??

Some people are just so clueless!!

Comment

If you quit eating aspartame your symptoms will go away. (I don't even eat it. ???)

My neighbor's hairdresser's son's grandmother's cousin followed a diet that CURED MS! Why aren't you on it?

Have you been diagnosed? Have you seen a neurologist? Are you sure you have MS? (My mom, a month AFTER my diagnosis...by a neurologist, of course.)

Comment

I Hate the PEOPLE,friends & realitives- WHO -KEEP ASKING MY SPOUSE "Why -isnt HE ON Disibility?"

I hate them beacuse; if they can say that, while I'm standing right next to them, to My Spouse.
        What other -EVIL things, are they capabale of?
        or saying.

Comment

"What the . . . . is your reason to ask me this question you . . . . . . . . . . .."

I know how I filled in the blanks. Hilarious

Comment

"MS is the most common disease to get diagnosed with now a days".- Really?? Cuz it took me 3 years and alot of painful tests to get that diagnosis!
            "It seems like MS is the new "it" Disease"- REALLY??? So glad I can be apart of the club, However I will gladly change it for your normal life!! Give me a break people!!
            The Best things in life....aren't things!

Comment

How's "you look great"? (as I'm falling asleep because the two hours out has blown through all the energy I had left for the day).

Comment

Me: I wish this creepy crawly feeling would go away. I feel like bugs are all over me.

MOM: I get that all the time too.

Me: Really??? Maybe you should be tested!

It really ticks me off when people try to make light of your symptoms or act as if they're going through the same thing.

Comment

oh YES, this is one topic which will be sure to get me going. The most recent was in the throws of the beginning of a 'new friendship'. In the course of sharing various things about the MS there ensued a sort of 'discussion' where I was going to be the blessed beneficiary of her 'far out' ideas and life long wisdom. So after reminding me of how people have cured themselves of cancer (the infamous Louise Hay), this moron then says to me 'there's no reason why you can't do the same and why you can't think your way out of having MS, after all the mind is a very powerful thing and does control the body.'

Not being one to suffer fools gladly, this silly cow was left in little doubt of what my mind thought of her stupidity not to mention insensitivity. Right, like I WANT to be living with this bovine faecal matter? Like I LIKE existing and not living? Like I CHOOSE to be disabled?

Needless to say the friendship didn't quite develop.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

THEM: MS - Oh really? Well, I have a cousin...or sister-in-law...or friend of a friend....or neighbor's ex-wife....or past co-worker's mother in law...or aunt's brother-in-law's cousin....or dentist's ex-secretary's sister...or...or............. who have MS too!

ME: (blank look, saying nothing, but thinking - here we go again)
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Mine is: "But you don't look like you have MS?"
                      Like, what does MS look like anyway, do you want me to not take care of myself so I look as bad as I feel? I have had this from strangers at the Ms clinics, to family questioning my dx to my first neuro when we thought I had a pinched nerve in my neck.

I really try hard to not let it get to me, and it really doesn't anymore.

Comment

This is raunchy not sure it will get posted...

I was talking about being nervous about losing sensation in my throat fully. I had some numbness on one side. My friend says well I am sure your husband will appreciate that.

Really.

Comment

Hi newby

Your friend was referring to you not being able to talk or yell alot, right? (no need to answer)

Take care,
                          KoKo
                          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My husband has two sisters. When he told them (separately) about my diagnosis they had quite different responses. Sister #1 works at a hospital and her husband is a doctor - her concern was they caught it early and that I was put on meds quickly.

Sister #2 said - "That's no big deal, I know lots of people with MS".

Yeah, well... I've known a few people that have had breast cancer but if you tell me you have a diagnosis, I'm not going to blow you off. (I don't much like sister #2).

Comment

Originally posted by Marie12 View Post
                              I am in the mood to finally have some fun. Ladies and gentlemen, please post a stupid thing people have said to you about dealing with MS. I'll start, yesterday someone who I barely know, and has no medical background or reason to ask this question, asked me, "Have you been OFFICIALLY diagnosed with MS?" And you may also help me with a response to this question. I just looked at her and said, "yes." When what I really wanted to say was, "What the . . . . is your reason to ask me this question you . . . . . . . . . . .."
                              A different take on your question....

I bumped into an acquaintance who I see on and off, usually a few times a year. I had not seen him since last winter and in catching up I remembered his daughter (adult, mom living in a different state) had MS, but getting around, walker, if memory serves. So I asked how the kids are doing (he has other children).

"She passed away of the MS this spring."

I never revealed I had MS to anyone and mentioned nothing other than voicing my sympathy for his loss.

But... we here at MSW have had threads on this subject (dying of MS) and most agreed that "complications from MS" (immune system infections etc.) can result in death.

So, from what he said... this is the doctor speaking ! ?

Guessing that this qualifies as a "stupid thing." When a doctor doesn't even take the time to qualify cause of death to the only parent.

AND more misinformation regarding MS enters the mainstream. And more people say the first thing that pops into their head when hearing "MS."

Jer

Comment

Working...
                              X