Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aussie teacher with lesions on brain

Hi to all from way down here in Australia

Wow, I've searched the internet for MS boards and such, but never have I seen one dedicated to teachers. Whoever had this wonderful idea, I love you....

About two weeks ago, I had an MRI done on my brain because we thought I had a pituitary tumor due to declining vision in my left eye. Well, the pituitary was absolutely fine, but the rest of the brain wasn't. I have multiple lesions in the periventricular regions, and the centrum semiovale.

Because it was my normal doc (GP) who ordered the MRI for me, I now have to wait and see a neurologist who is about 1400 klms away. So until I have seen the neurologist, run some tests to rule things in and out, I don't have a definate diagnosis. My GP is pretty certain that it is MS due to the MRI and other symptoms I have.

And I am also a teacher, teach 9 year olds. The fatigue is awful and my memory is shocking. I have had these kids since Jan (our school year is Jan - Dec) and I still muck up their names, use different words when explaining something, etc.

I have never liked sports days and such, and now I know why. The heat has always killed me and left me so run down. My legs have been ok but there are days when doing playground duty that at the end of it, I have sciatica type pain for a couple of hours, then it disappears. This doesn't happen all the time, just every now and again.

I have told my principal what is going on, because, I have another health issue going on too.

I am so looking forward to talking to others, and other teachers, about how we do this.

I am determined to keep teaching for as long as I can. This is for a few reasons. One is for the distraction, and the other is for financial reasons. I also love teaching and couldn't see me doing anything else. I am also very aware that this disease is very unpredictable so my fingers are crossed.

I have also decided to tell the rest of the staff too as I feel as if i have nothing to hide and this would explain a few things for them. 90% have been supportive and wonderful. I cannot complain.

Anyway, looking forward to chatting more....

Originally posted by gailw View Post
    Hi to all from way down here in Australia

Wow, I've searched the internet for MS boards and such, but never have I seen one dedicated to teachers. Whoever had this wonderful idea, I love you....
    That would be me ... I felt teachers needed a place to find other teachers easily ... unfortunately, we've since been located down here in the employment section rather than in the message boards proper, and many have not found us, or have forgotten us. I'm glad you were able to join.

I'm getting ready to retire, having taught for 30 years, special ed., elementary ed., and middle school. But fatigue and depression have lessened me, and I am sad to leave "early" but will enjoy the extra time with my family.

Keep posting ... try to get the boards to relocate us back in the message board section instead of here in the forum ... there were once many teachers posting daily here.

Wishing you well, and welcoming your presence...
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Thanks chalknpens

Sorry to hear about your early retirement, but your right, now you have more time to enjoy the family

So you also taught in special ed? WOW, I take my hat off to ya. Never done it myself, but have had the one or two special needs kids in my regular class, and they did require extra effort and such.

I will keep posting here and try to keep the board active.

Gail

Comment

Hello,

Hope that you are still checking this thread. I am glad to find fellow teachers here.

I was diagnosed in 2005, but in retrospect realized that I had symptoms years earlier. Regardless, I had to stop f2f teaching in 2005, because I just could not handle being on my feet, talking all day, the extreme fatigue, pain, etc.

I then taught college students online from 2005-2010. This worked out fairly well for the first few years, but between 2008-2010, things again went downhill. I figured that at a minimum, I should be able to do this. When my MS symptoms became more intrusive into my daily life (even at home!), I had to honestly evaluate what was best for me.

I am in the process of applying for SSD, but I know that this can take some time.

However, in the meantime, I'm happy to share and to offer support where I can.

I hope to see you online!

Believe your own truth. Dx 2004. Currently Tecfidera and Ampyra.

Comment

I teach middle schoolers and I joking ask, "Who are you?" They laugh and then usually tell me their names. I have 150 students to remember so I just play it off that way.

Comment

Go see this guy:

Dr. Borody in Sydney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Borody

Comment

Hey, I´ve got about 20 lesions and teach middle school. No fatigue so far, though I come home and chill. My concessions- I now hold the banister when going downstairs- actually- i balance my wrist on it to avoid touching all those germs.

Accommodations so far- portable air conditioner in the room and classroom moved closer to the bathroom. Since health insurance is tied to the job, I need to keep working- luckily I like my job.

I am on copaxone. Come spring I may need to explain the welts to kids. I am using the school´s fitness room 3x a week to regain lost strength. Exercise does help- a lot.

Comment

Working...
              X