No announcement yet.

HOW DO YOU SPEND YOUR TIME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like the first one better, first thing I looked at was location and said look a upcoming cover story in Co

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
      Mostly I sit in a windowless room under a bare light-bulb drinking cheap booze and circling names in the phone book while I clean my guns and talk jibberish to myself.
      (like in a bad made for TV movie.)

Actually I just hustle and do all the things that are needed like eating, exercising, cleaning and fixing stuff, working any small job I can find....just living.
      (my hustle has just gotten slower)
      Tommy, you always have a snappy come back, and you often make me laugh. What an image you paint!
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

I work part time as an adjunct college professor, a high school substitute teacher, and a tutor. These allow me to "adjust" depending on how I am feeling. I do wish I had a full time job so I could get health insurance that would pay for medication (I have a not-so-great hospitalization policy with a $1000 annual cap on scripts - no CRABs or orals for me!) I also occasionally write for an encyclopedia company and knit and crochet Civil War items that I sell through a shop in Gettysburg. I am an avid Civil War reenactor - I can dress out and sit in a shady spot and knit! I deep water run at my local Y - great exercise and no overheating.
        Polly
        MS hit like a hammer out of the blue May 1, 2007
        Life is hard, yard by yard, Inch by inch, it's a cinch.

Comment

I um...um...

I had a hard time figuring out what I do all day. I play on the computer, email, internet games, facebook, etc.

I've really had a hard time cooking lately. I raised 3 children and worked 28 years for BellSouth, now cooking a meal really STRESSES me out. -- TRUE-- I was tired of cooking, been married 28 years and cooking everyday for him. I thought I just ran out of ideas, there's plenty of recepies online, but I have trouble putting a meal together.

Also I used to be an avid reader. Lately I have trouble reading a book, I cant seem to follow the story. I do much better with magazines, short stories, or Reader Digest.

That's just me

You guys seem to know how to live. I wish I could say I stayed busy all day, but I watch alot of TV.

Sandra

Comment

Once physically active, now mentally

Like many of you, I was once very active--jogging, gardening, gourmet cooking, working, taking care of 3 children--and ambitious. Now I've had to let go of most of that and replace it with activities I can still do. I can go to a gym nearby that requires a short walk with my walker to get inside and do the exercises my PT gave me for about an hour. (I have to use a wheelchair for walks a few feel longer.) I can notice the birds that come to my feeder that my maid/helper fills for me. I read news and mostly nonfiction books. I can write (that's how I made my living), and I'm currently writing a book on healthy lifestyle/healthy eating, taking into account how difficult it is for most of us, with or w/o MS, to cook. I try not to spend too much time on the internet because I've discovered that's a real time suck. I go to church and do it because of the spiritual encouragement and also because the people are so loving and helpful and nonjudgmental. And I try very hard to stay busy and positive, fully aware how easy it is to sink.

Comment

retired teacher keeps "occupied"

I had taught for 31 years when I had to take disability retirement in 2001. I thought my world had ended, but a couple of weeks before school started that fall the new principal called to ask if I would work with the "new" 7th grade reading teacher because the former principal had given the high school math teacher that class (he was a real "gem"!) The principal said this gal didn't know the language arts standards so I did her lesson plans online and even went into her class a few times. When she left after that year, the football coach got that job so I did the same for him. I ended up working with 3 teachers for the next couple of years, and by then I was ready to "retire".

I have always loved to read but didn't have much time to do that when I was teaching, but I got a library card at a community library and have read 695 books since then (according to my library account). I love books by Michael Phillips, Karen Kingsbury, Judith Pella, books by various authors about Amish people, Cindy Woodsmall, the Red River of the North series, most historical fiction, just to name a few..or more than a few, huh.
              With a few other women, I have done several Beth Moore studies, even got to go to a Beth Moore conference in Rapid City, SD last fall.
              I also started going with our pastor to a Bible study at the nursing home about 12 miles from home. I got to know some of the residents and have visited with them on my own and, surprisingly for me, thoroughly enjoy spending time with them. I am doing a Bible study of Esther with a couple of the residents, too.

I have been so fortunate that I was able to get on the Amprya in June 2010 and have had amazing results; before that, my day was just existing..get up about 8, want to go back to bed by 10, etc. About a month after I started the drug, I would wake up by 7 and go all day. I could actually walk, not just drag my leg from one room to the other. Now I make caramel rolls, get out and about, and just enjoy life! I also work with college students revising their papers.)

I've learned that I must trust the Lord to handle my day and praise Him for what He has done and can trust Him, no matter what happens down the line.
              I also have a miniature schnauzer (and a wonderful husband who is the best caregiver I could ask for!)

Comment

Updates? No postings for a while

I'm curious about updates from previous posters to this thread and also new ideas and ways to be alive! My life is much less active than many who have contributed here, and I have to say their levels of activity are intimidating! DX in 2003 and so far still ambulatory and trying for better than that, but generally my days are 5 hours of mild activity, then 2 hours rest, then 5 more until I collapse into bed, maybe some reading then. Before the dx I decided I wanted to speak another language fluently, so I started Italian. 13 years later I'm mostly fluent, take a literature course each semester at university level, and have a good friend to speak with in Italy over Skype.

My DH and I used to visit Italy as much as twice a year for 2 weeks at a time (that was also before the financial crisis and when the exchange rates were better for US tourists.) So that has changed, given my physical shape and price and to be honest my husband's understandable tiring of a single destination vacation. All this to say that keeping up with language, a course, planning for trips occupied a lot of leisure time.

I don't hear much in the posts about paying bills, seeing doctors, figuring taxes, grocery shopping, cooking, etc., which, in fact, take a ton of time….and energy. TV isn't an interest for us, but keeping up with news and issues, watching some old videos, and reading good and junk books pretty much fills up the time. Grandkids time is special but exhausting, and thinking about the future is stressful…mostly we live day by day.

Would love some current feedback!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

What i do?

I am on my computer a lot. I'm on Facebook and keep up with my friends and family who do not live close to me. So Facebook is a wonderful thing for us.

I do watch T.V. Just now following Game of Thrones and enjoying it.

Also watch Hoarders (for inspiration to clean out my junk!), American Pickers and other fun shows. I love decorating, so HGTV is always on.

I read a lot. My walking and balance is not too good so I don't do nearly enough. I'm always planning to do something creative, but I find I am better at getting the stuff together than actually making it!

My husband and I share cooking and cleaning; he takes care of the bills. We have a large lot, nicely landscaped. DH does all the heavy work. It's very hot here in NC in the summer and I just wilt.

Right now I'm sorting clothing to decide what to keep, what to give away and what needs replacing. I shop on-line for almost everything.

Not too exciting am I :-)

Diane
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Not too exciting?

Ah, Facebook. Too paranoid, I'm afraid, like my privacy.
                    TV, can't deal with all the commercials. Hoarders might be fun, though, since I've been trying to do file purges. I'm starting to watch House of Cards on netflix, love K. Spacey.

I envy your creative urges! Sewing buttons on is my level of creativity.
                    Can you still garden? I wish I could, because I love plants, (outside, not inside), but I have to farm out most tasks, and my husband is over 70 and tired of having about the same amount of property as you do. I give it a couple of years at best.

I do take care of the finances and the tax documents; I was a finance type back when. Mostly, like you, I read, and I love to read, so between Italian books and English books I've a huge pile on the bed table and on the iPad, and that is about it.

Seems to me you're doing what you want to do and can do. That's about as exciting as it gets!

Comment

Reading books, gardening,spend time with pets and friends. But most of the time I sleep a lot.

Comment

Just bumping this up.

Cuz it's a mostly positive thread. And, fun to keep going.

So, ... for seniors. How do you spend your time?

Have a good day!

~ Faith
                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Rarely Bored

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY and for those that served our country, Thank you for your service. I live on the coast of NC and last night we dodged a bullet by the name of "Arthur". It came ashore 20 miles east of us at Beaufort, NC as a Category 2. We were blessed. You know that energy you don't think you have, well adrenaline kicks in and I worked a little inside then a little outside trying not to get too hot all day yesterday.

We were prepared and the storm came and went in a hurry which is good but you can't take a chance. I finally went to bed at four this morning but my husband who is a wonderful caretaker took no chances and slept in his clothes. We are one lot off the sound.

I was supposed to be in a wheelchair years ago but even though I got one rarely use it except during flairs. I do all of the financial stuff, bills, can still drive to local appointments, but can't cook or clean the house.

I read the newspaper at least two or three days a week and play word search every day. I was told by a dr once that anything you have learned once is in your head you just may have to find an alternate route to it and have worked hard at teaching my brain to learn this.

I laugh about life and it's games that it plays with me and am happy that I walk and talk and have beaten the odds for years per UNC @ CHAPEL HILL, NC in December 2012.

Ms Sassy

Comment

How Do I spend My Time

Not in the way I would love to but I get in a few hours of writing and editing. I am looking for a mild day so I can work with my service dog with the help of my caregiver.

Someone mentioned bills and all those other dirty words and maybe that is because at least for me that only occupies my mind two days a month. The day before I get my money and the day I get it.

The day I get it I am rich until I put all the money orders into the envelopes and those into the post box. Then I am broke again until the next month.

On mild days I sit on the porch and enjoy the scenery and on the others I remember. I especially remember the two trees that curve in toward each other at the top and in effect form a heart.

The deer, and fox run through the farmers field hoping to get across before the coyote, wolf, panther, or bear catches them. While in the field they don't worry about hunters, the owner doesn't allow any and they all know that.

But anyway I spend my days and my nights watching and spinning tales about what I see and sometimes what I don't lol

Comment

Husband retired

[FONT=Book Antiqua
                              Husband retired before this I was very active now I can't get myself out of the chair. He is very good to me but does everything I use to do better. So thinks he is helping I have told him I need to do something. It does not work so I get up sit in the chair playing on my iPad all day. Can't read any longer as my mind can not Focus.
                              I'm not even sure how to post here but doing so in I'm sure the wrong way.
                              I need help but where to turn...
                              A smart person will always catch on, a wise person knows when to let go.

Comment

Spurts of furious activity, then a catnap ...

Day in and day out, I have times when I can move and produce and accomplish like all get-out. But after a few hours of activity, I have to take a catnap. Maybe just five to ten minutes, and I'm ok to start again. Boring, not very rewarding, but better than the alternative, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X