HOW DO YOU SPEND YOUR TIME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting

To a REAL quilter I am a joke, but I enjoy coming up with my own designs and going at my own pace. I might have three or four projects going at once and then do nothing for a week or two due to fatigue. I love what I have done so far and will continue on as long as I am able. this was my dream when I retire.
    I shop and cook for myself. I take care of my apartment so that it is livable to me. I am still eliminating things that I thought were important, to make my life easier and less work, i.e. too many clothes with buttons zippers and the like.
    I volunteer at the church a few hours, three days a weeek and teach a class on Sundays.
    I take at least one class a semester to keep up my skills to teach Religion.
    I am tired just listing what I do so I will have to indulge in my best activity, a nap in front of the T.V.!
    Positive Possibilities

Comment

GLAD TO HEAR THAT CLASSES ARE AN OPTION FOR SOME. KEEPING OUR MIND SHARP IS IMPORTANT. I ALSO TEACH A CLASS ON SUNDAY MORNING. MY CLASS CONSISTS OF 6 LADIES THAT ARE ALL 80 AND ABOVE. HAD ONE THAT WAS 94 PASSED A FEW MONTHS BACK. LOVE THESE LADIES. THEY TEACH ME SO MUCH. MY HUSBAND AND I LOVE TO WATCH MOVIES AND HAVE QUITE A COLLECTION. WE CAN WATCH THEM OVER AND OVER AND FOR ME THEY SEEM NEW EVERY TIME I WATCH. SAME WAY WITH BOOKS, I FORGET HOW THE STORY ENDS SO I CAN READ IT AGAIN. HAVE A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS SEASON.
      This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

I lost my job and just went ahead and retired. I was have soooo much trouble remembering and keeping up - I am a nurse who became a clinical auditor for Medicaid when I was not able to do hospital nursing any more. They paid me to think, but that became harder than walking.

I am registered for a college class in the Spring. Already a graduate, am just going to be an "audit" student (not taking tests or working towards a degree).

But my new love: water aerobics. I can do it in the water! It makes me feel human again. My county has several aquatics centers, the one I go to even has a chair lift. Getting out of the pool is a bigger problem than I imagined. They only charge $2 for a session, and I go 3 times per week. I also walk in my neighborhood but ALWAYS carry a cellphone - if I fall, and I have on far too many occasions, I cannot always get up. In the summer - I walk in the mall - air conditioning essential here in GA.

My loves prior to disabling symptoms were running, ballroom dancing and tennis. When I was first diagnosed, I left without treatment because it was just unacceptable for me. Fatigue is now crippling enough to get over myself and my wants though.

Comment

SOUNDS LIKE FUN; SWIMMING. ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS TO DO. I ALSO AM A NURSE BUT HAVE NOT WORKED SINCE 1998. NOW, WE DO A LOT OF CAMPING AND SHORT TRIPS. GLAD TO HEAR HOW OTHERS GET ALONG. WILL HAVE TO CHECK INTO THE SWIMMING. DO A LOT OF IT IN THE SUMMER. I LIVE IN GEORGIA ALSO.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Hi Leola,

I live in Cobb County. The pools are all indoor so they are cool in the summer - yeah. They also have lifeguards - necessary. The aerobics are designed to strengthen your core, taught by certified instructors. They also do balance exercises by taking you off balance (far too easy for me anyway) and improve your balance - the water helps hold me up and if I fall over no big deal.

If you don't live in Cobb, you can still go there but you have to pay $3.50 per session - just show up no signing up for sessions you cannot attend.

I had to be rescued by a lifeguard in only 2 feet of water at an outdoor water park while on vacation with my oldest granddaughter in San Antonio (hotter than Hades). I just couldn't get up, and my granddaughter was very upset over it. I have my limitations but the indoor pool is the greatest. Our senior center has yoga classes - $30 for 10 weeks - and I do sign up. However, the yoga is really, really, really hard for me. I force myself to struggle hoping it will improve or maintain my strength and balance, but it is not fun.

Comment

I live in Laurens County. I should check into our rec department and see about that. Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Hey Leola and Ga Dancer! I am a Georgia girl, too. I would love to be able to swim in the winter. There are three year round pools in my area-one at Berry College, one at Darlington School (a private prep school) and one at the YMCA in town. Even being a graduate of Berry, it's still too expensive to go there. And it's complicated by the fact that alumni get second seat to the facilities. In other words, students and staff are first and the time for the others are at awkward times and there's not much going on. The private school is out-no pull there. But I have been considering joing the YMCA which would mean moving my current membership at another place in town that has great yoga to the Y. The cost is about 3 bucks less a month at the Y but I am thinking the move would be better for me heathwise.

My sister is a nurse and lives in Cobb County and they have excellent year round pools for the residents. My sis has lost 75 pounds over the last 18 months and most of it is because she swam it off in the pool near her and of course, watched what she ate.

For some reason, year round pools are not a big priority for seniors or for anyone else in my area(Rome, Floyd County). The senior centers don't have a lot of stuff either that interests me. So for now, I guess I will stick with what I have been doing currently.

Hope you are not frozen in with the snow leftovers from Christmas! Wasn't it pretty! Imagine-a white Christmas in Georgia!!

lydialou

Comment

playing with my grandchildren

Comment

I really enjoyed reading of all the activities other seniors are doing. I volunteer one day a week running the adult senior ministries at my church. This stops my complaints fast since most of the group I plan activities for and drive are living alone and 85-95.

I was able to go to Florida to visit friends this winter. When the weather is cold and snowy I read, cook, and clean house. In the spring and summer I love flower gardening. The size keeps getting smaller as I just don't have high energy in hot weather. In cold weather my legs stiffen up and I don't move as fast. If only it would remain spring and fall, I would be a happy camper.

I am grateful that I am able to enjoy life with just making compromises when the need arises.

Comment

I have a new thing to do with my time. Hopefully this is a short-lived activity. We are having some work done on our house. Our front porch needed some maintanence stuff done that required heavy work which is certainly out of my league. I can paint all day but I don't hang from a ladder 2 stories up.

And we are enclosing our covered back porch and making it a sun room.

Sounds simple-right?

Nope. Any construction project done on a 30 year old house is not simple. For example, we found a small crack in the outer wall of the foundation for the porch which is entirely separate from the house and it's foundation. So it has to be fixed. Codes have changed a little in 30 years and the building inspector is requiring us to rip out the old porch footings and pour concrete walls to support the new porch/sun room. I can understand that. It just wasn't on our list. One of our heating systems was under the porch and was accessed by a door from the basement. Well, we have to replace our heater, too, since the venting codes have changed. I guess you can see additional dollar signs now.

The work has actually gone well and the temps have been pretty mild which has also been a plus. Tomorrow they are taking out the basement heating system. The back of my house looks like a war zone. The siding is gone, too.

Oh, and I will never plant shrubbery again. Guess what caused the crack in the porch foundation?

So this is what I am doing now......

lydialou

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
                        I have also gotten a computer program which allows me to take any picture and make it into a jigsaw puzzle and sometimes will do 5 or 6 pf them in a day of approx 500 pcs. I like these as it helps me keep my brain working which is just like the rest of your muscles and needs to be exercised.
                        That sounds like something I'd really like. Can I ask where you got it?

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do “practice”?

Comment

wow you guys and gals are busy people. I pay on computer and then play on some more. I watch lots of tv and am pretty sedentary, but this has been a long winter here in OH. I do scrapbook when hands are good, and I take care of house more than I used to. I am feeling very sedentary lately, I take dogs out more in spring and play in my little flower garden at that time of year. I go back and forth fighting depression, so I try to get out each day..I do lunch with girlfriends, and help dd with her kids when I can. Somuch of what I like to do involves money and that is tight right now, so that limits my shopping and lunches. Once I get my prisms and I can see better, I will go out more.

I do go to DC twice a year to visit dd, and that is always an adventure that I need to recover from for at least a week or 2. I also belong to a book club that meets once a month or so. That is always fun.

JudySz

Comment

HOW DO YOU SPEND YOUR TIME?

I CAN'T PHSYICALLY DO MUCH ANYMORE BUT I DO FIND SOME ENJOYMENT IN GOING TO POGO.COM AND PLAYING SOME COMPUTER GAMES WHEN I AM NOT TOO TIRED. MY BROTHER GOT ME A MEMBERSHIP BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE CAN GO TO POGO.COM AND PLAY GAMES FOR FREE. ALL MEMBERS CAN GIVE A FREE FIVE DAY TRIAL MEMBERSHIP TO ANYONE.

Comment

I do best in the morning, so any thing "big" I want to do it's than or never!
                              Afternoons I help my G'kids w/ any school work,like listing to them read or spelling.( The're homeschooled)
                              & than I do admit I have my favorite TV show's (not soaps lol) & I read A LOT!
                              I also try & sit outside eirly in the AM for a while to watch the birds & get some "vit D" I live in the South & now the weather is nice but,soon the only time you can go out is eirly AM.
                              God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Mostly I sit in a windowless room under a bare light-bulb drinking cheap booze and circling names in the phone book while I clean my guns and talk jibberish to myself.
                                (like in a bad made for TV movie.)

Actually I just hustle and do all the things that are needed like eating, exercising, cleaning and fixing stuff, working any small job I can find....just living.
                                (my hustle has just gotten slower)

Comment

Working...
                                X