HOW DO YOU SPEND YOUR TIME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW DO YOU SPEND YOUR TIME?

WITH ALL THE PAINS, TINGLING, SPASMS AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS WE FEEL DAY TO DAY I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW YOU MADE IT THRU THE DAY? WHAT KIND OF HOBBIES, FUN THINGS DO YOU DO? SOMETIMES MY EYES ARE SEEING DOUBLE AND IT IS NOT SO FUN. BUT I LIKE TO BLOG, WRITE STORIES, PLAY BOARD GAMES WHEN AVAILABLE. NOT MUCH ON TAKING WALKS ANYMORE DUE TO WEAK LEGS, BUT STILL ENJOY SEEING THE BEAUTIFUL OUT DOORS.
    This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Hi Leola

Good question!

I had always been more of a physically active type person (working for the United States Postal Service at a Postal Distribution Center, playing tennis, bike riding, bowling, etc.) and never developed any of the more sedentary type hobbies such as knitting or crocheting, or painting, stained glass, writing, etc. I really admire persons with those skills!

Over the years, one by one I've had to let go of the more physical activities, the bike riding being the most recent one. (I now have a stationary bike). I would love to get an adult tricycle this spring. But I also want a treadmill.

So now much of my time is spent on my ADL's (activities of daily living) - personal care, cleaning my apartment, grocery shopping, laundry. (I live alone) Those things occupy much of my time as it takes me quite awhile to accomplish them. I have to rest alot as my physical stamina and energy are limited.

I also do volunteer stuff, one of which is being active in a 12 Step program. That entails going to meetings and helping new people, taking them to meetings, lots of talking on the phone, being on committees.

I do like to walk with my roller walker in the nice weather. In the summer I like to watch baseball (Detroit Tigers). That interest was passed down to me from my Grandma and my Dad.

Also, for about 6 years I moved in and stayed with my Mom who had early onset Alzheimers, which she started developing at around 59 years of age. (it was confirmed on brain autopsy). She died in 2001.

I just don't know what hobby I could do and enjoy, and as I've mentioned, I have never tried any! I don't have much use of my right arm and hand, so some hobbies may not be possible anyways if they involve manual dexterity for any length of time.

In any case, so far I am not bored. I'm pretty much grateful for being able to do the things I can, all things considered. I've had PPMS for 11 years so I'm fortunate.

Looking forward to hearing how other members spend their time.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thankfully I am able to still partake in my favorite hobby golf, while not playing as well as I have in the past, I joined a senior group and they have allowed me to move up to the senior tee which make the holes shorter (normally for people 65-70 and older.)

There are times when I am not able to play for various reasons such as heat and just having an MS day. On those days I spend time working on my model trains which I can do from a chair if needed as when I started it last year I was still in a W/C and built it access wise to allow for that.

I have also gotten a computer program which allows me to take any picture and make it into a jigsaw puzzle and sometimes will do 5 or 6 pf them in a day of approx 500 pcs. I like these as it helps me keep my brain working which is just like the rest of your muscles and needs to be exercised.

I have also done some volunteer work at the Habitat for Humanity office, charity golf tournaments and working with children in the local First Tee golf program.

I have learned to adjust my life to my capabilities but not let MS prevent or deny me from doing the things I like to do. As they say it is harder to hit a moving target.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

SCOOTER,
        SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A BUSY LIFE. GREAT TO STAY BUSY DOING WHAT YOU ENJOY AS WELL AS HELPING OUT OTHERS. KEEP IT UP.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Good question!

I knit a lot; I've been doing that for 40 years. I do mostly Irish Fisherman sweaters and, for variety, colorful shawls & scarves. I give most of what I produce as presents, and send shawls to the Prayer Shawl Project, a nondenominational group which distributes them worldwide to women in need.

I read, mostly nonfiction with some science fiction/fantasy.

I spend time online interacting with friends (here and elsewhere) and researching MS and other topics.

I watch DVDs, mostly indie films, and watch a few TV series (Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, In Treatment, True Blood, the just-finished Saving Grace).

I do Tarot spreads for myself and for other people.

I meditate at least 1 hr 15 min a day, often more.

I do yoga and ride my exercycle.

I keep the house picked up (my husband & daughter do the heavy cleaning, laundry etc.) and cook simple meals when I'm able.

Those things + personal care stuff fill my days. Well, plus frequent naps!

Comment

Leolla- It sounds like more than it really is and find myself trying to find something to do to keep from getting bored. I have always been an active person and need to keep going. It also helps me mentally to keep going as it gives me less time to think about things.
            Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hi Leola,

I can relate about getting thru the day that is compounded with fatigue and whatever else. I have SPMS and am 61 and have to remember that age plays a role too! I want to do more, but the body tells me something else! I have been trying to stay on a modified exercise program recently (using an eliptical trainer for 5 min or so is enough for me with weak legs) and hope that helps, but mostly I sit and knit or come here, of course.

I love to garden and that keeps me going for most of the year, so winters are hard when I'm stuck inside. I love to read and belong to a book group and also volunteer at our library's book sale. Also take a yoga class and practice at home.

Actually, I wish I could find something more to do that wouldn't require much energy.... In a way, I'm thankful that I'm retired and on SSDI, but miss a lot of the social interaction. I was once very active and loved to hike with friends, but that's not happening anymore.

Still, in all, it's a good life. My husband has a good home cooked meal and clean house to come home to and he is very supportive of me. My adult kids live somewhat close by - sometimes my daughter plops me on a w/c and we have fun shopping.

Mostly, I have all of my friends at MSW that keep me going. Soon I will have to be doing some holiday shopping - do I brave the crowds or shop online???

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

GREAT TO HEAR HOW OTHERS SPEND THEIR TIME. GIVES ME SOME IDEAS AS WELL. I AM BUSY WITH WHAT I DO BUT SOMETIMES IT IS NICE TO HEAR OF SOMETHING THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY. I USED TO KNIT. LAST WINTER STARTED TEACHING MY GRANDDAUGHTER HOW. WE NEED TO GET BACK TO THOSE SCARVES WE BEGAN LAST YEAR. THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

I was active, had a great job and eventually had to stop working. Over the years, each hobby that I couldn't do anymore, got replaced by a new one, because I was scared to fall in a black hole of boredom.

Now, I spend the day lurking on the internet and watching TV, that's about all I can do. I am still capable of using a PC, so I use it to draw comics about guinea pigs, from my old scanned drawings. They got published finally, so I am proud of it too. I take pics of the guinea pigs, make vids, edit vids, I enjoy all of that very much.

If I behave, I can go out with hub once a week and rest 6 days after, because that's about all I can take because of the pain. I'm happier than ever, so the disability didn't ruin my life.

Comment

CARTOONIST, GREAT TO HEAR ABOUT THE VIDEOS. MUST BE EXCITING TO SEE SOMETHING THAT YOU WORKED ON BECOME PUBLISHED. I HAVE A BLOG AND I POST INSPIRATIONAL STORIES TO IT. PLANNING ON WRITING A 30 DAY DEVOTIONAL BOOK. LOTS OF SHORT STORIES IN MY HEAD. GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

look for work rejection no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no no no no no no no no no no no maybe no no no no ,

Comment

Well, I do spend a lot of time on the computer. I get info, connect with distant family and friends, etc.

By the way, if I'm allowed to suggest this, for those of you who prefer voice calls. Try Skype. It is easy to use and such a bargain. It is a blessing for us as we have a son and his family who are across the world and the cost of long distance is too much. Skype is about .02 a minute or less.

I read though I admit that the computer competes with that. Reading was once something I did all the time and loved it.

I shop online and often go to Etsy, even if it's just for fun. Gals and Guys who like crafts and art will love it.

I take a walk around the perimeter of our property (1.2 acres) which means if I wobble or fall no one is there to watch :-)

I only do that in good weather and when my legs are pretty good.

I do some scrapbooking when my hands will cooperate.

I have (going to shut it down soon) a antiques and collectible booth at our local antique mart.

I will miss that most as it allows me to socialize and like others here I miss that most.

Diane
                        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I have been retired for three years. For 31 years before that I taught elementary, middle and high school before becoming an AP and then a principal.

Since I have retired, I have started reading my way though the public library in my town. Whoever purchases their books does an incredible job. My favorites are mysteries. I have been hooked on them since my grandmother gave me my first Nancy Drew book when I was 7. I read probably 12-15 books a month.

I am pretty active and feel fortunate that I can do pretty much so what I want. I like to walk on the levee in my town. We have great walking and bike paths. I recently started riding my bike again which I really enjoy. I generally do 10-15 miles at a stretch. I work out at a local gym-doing things that will help my bones, legs, hips and shoulders stay strong. I also go to yoga at least twice a week. It is the most wonderful thing I have ever found. It keeps me flexible and helps me handle any stress I have.

I am also a do-it-yourself kind of person. We built our house ourselves many years ago and there always seems to be something that needs to be fixed or maintained. Hopefully we are going to have our back porch enclosed (dried in really) and then my husband and I will do the inside work ourself. Of course, he just had rotator cuff surgery and a bicep reattachment so I will probably be on my own which is fine. I have an air nailer which makes any kind of construction easier! My dad taught me to do trim work and put down hardwood flooring and other construction stuff so I have a good background in house stuff. I don't do plumbing.I don't do roofs-anymore.

I work as a volunteer at my local hospital. I work in Rehab on Friday afternoons-answering the phone, making appointments, working with patients, disconnecting them from things, folding laundry for the linen closet,helping people in the hydro-pool. And I work for the Breast Center doing health fairs for women. Some months I do two or three events and some months-like December-nothing is going on.

My grandchildren live about an hour away so we get to see them a lot which is nice. We also take a big trip each year to celebrate out annivesary. Some folks do the beach. We do national parks. We love the outdoors. I also snow ski but I'm not sure if I can do that this year. I had foot surgery in April and my foot is still not happy. I don't think I can get it in my ski boots.

I love to play the piano. I love to cook-I make all of my own bread. I like to goof off on the computer and recently found a bunch of free jigsaw puzzles which are a blast. Keeps the mind going you now. I also like to play mahjong online.

I also love to watch old black and white movies with my hubby.

It's great being retired.

lydialou

Comment

Slowly figuring it out

I'm not quite sure how I spend my time, it keeps changing, I've recently moved from a Northeast boring suburb with its hot humid summers and cold damp winters to San Francisco. My little red Sonic Pride scooter takes me all over the place, it even went up Nob Hill this morning for my 43rd Tysabri infusion.

Public transportation is wonderful, buses, trolley, and subway are accessible and cheap, there is so much to do and see I'll never see half of it.

I'm 61 on SSDI and will soon be receiving long term disability from my previous employer, so I'm in good financial shape and think I'm able to afford this expensive city.

Just rolling through Union Square is a blast, one can watch tourists from all over the world, today a tap dancer was showing his moves, the library is free and well stocked, fresh food is readily and inexpensively (compared to NE markets) available at farmers' markets year round. If art interests you there are dozens of galleries. If you like the outdoors Golden Gate Park is wonderful and there is always the water. You can sit and watch it all day w/o paying a penny.

My youngest son lives two blocks away, we lit Chanukah candles tonight and plan on being together for Sunday dinners, perhaps preceded by Pilates in the morning.

Groceries can be ordered on line and delivered to your door, good and very good restaurants are all over the place, people, aside from the literally crazy or drug impaired, are friendly and helpful.

I find I'm going out in the morning, sometimes to do errands or shop, sometimes to see a museum, or just sit by the Bay, sip coffee while reading a book or paper and people watch. Lunch these last few days has been a single large hot dog from a street vendor, by mid afternoon I head home and read or listen to music, make a simple dinner, or microwave a prepared meal, or treat myself to an early dinner and a glass of wine at a restaurant.

The weather is mellow, my life here far more enjoyable than it was on the other coast.

Comment

GREAT TO HEAR FROM EVERYONE. I LOVE THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES. SOUNDS LIFE EVERYONE IS HAVING A PLEASANT LIFE WHICH IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. ALSO, GETTING IDEAS. MAKING ME WANT TO TRAVEL AGAIN. MY HUSBAND AND I LOAD UP THE CAMP TRAILER AND HEAD OUT A FEW MONTHS AT A TIME. HEADING BACK TO CALIFORNIA SOON TO SPEND SOME QUALITY TIME WITH THE FAMILY.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Working...
                              X