Gilenya and birth control pills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gilenya and birth control pills?

I am thinking about Gilenya. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with it and using oral birth control pills. I am wondering if Gilenya effects the oral BC pills? I called Novaritis but "they have no research on it" to quote what they told me.

Just wondering if anyone had been in any of the trials and knew anything about it.

CrazyCatLady
    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

For the clinical trial they suggested 2 forms of birth control to be used at the same time (BC & condoms, spermacide & diaphram, etc.), since there was no history on the effects it may have on BC or on a fetus if a woman became pregnant while on the drug.
    I chose to get the Mirena IUD (since it is plastic, I wouldn't have to worry about any issues with MRI's) because it is considered both a 'barrier method' as well a 'hormonal contraceptive' (it releases small amounts of levonorgestrel as well). I would look into either getting an IUD, or using something like condoms as well as the BC.... because since this is a new medication you can't be sure that it doen't weaken the effectiveness of birth control pills.

Comment

I am due to start taking it soon, I am not on the pill.
      I am 48 and they were pretty adamant.NO pregnancy.
      SO am II have never been able to take the pill.
      Migraines any way.
      I did not ask that, but I know they do stress birth control and no pregnancies.
      I got my lab work done yesterday. My other round of test will be done first of Dec.
      I live quite a ways from my neuro and at this time....I will be the first on on it!!!

Comment

Still thinking about changing to Gilenya....Just wish there was more research out there on it. I guess that is the trouble with a new medication.

CrazyCatLady
        MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

When I got my first dose my neuro and I went over contraindications. The key thing is to stay away from anti-fungals. Aside from other drugs that can tank your immune system, those are the only things that the FDA warns against. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X