Went To Urgent Care Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went To Urgent Care Center

I ended up going to an urgent care center yesterday. I could no longer stand these horrid headaches combined with neck pain and nausea.

At my last neuro appt, I was unable to get through all my symptoms. When the neurology office called me the following day to schedule my LP, I told them about the two symptoms I was having that were bothering me most that I didn't get to cover during my appt (see previous posts) and was told the neuro wants to wait until the LP. I called my PCP who just said "talk to your neuro). Since I wasn't about to deal with being in pain like this for another two weeks, I went to an urgent care center.

Now here is the funny part, the urgent care doctor actually took the time to listen to all of my symptoms, took the time to get copies of my MRI's, recent blood work etc from my various doctors. He even called my PCP and Neuro's office to ask what treatments they've tried so he didn't duplicate something that didn't work. Too bad he can't be my PCP. He is re-testing for Lyme disease. I had a test done within the last year, which was negative, but since my symptoms have worsened so much w/in the last 3 months, he wants to "re-rule it out". During his neurological testing, I failed the "heel-to-toe" walking miserably, I almost fell 4 times...it's a good thing it was a doctor doing the test and not a police officer....LOL.

He ended up giving me a script for Lortab to help with the pain until I see my neuro for the LP. The lortab is helping a bit, but I am wondering if maybe a mild muscle relaxer would help with my neck pain or possibly even a short dose of steroids may help with these "cluster-type headaches". I've read about some of you taking steroids so I'm wondering if they might help knock this down a little bit to an at least tolerable level.

Have any of you gotten this frustrated while you were in limbo waiting for a diagnosis (even if that dx wasn't MS)? I finally found a doctor that listens, but he's an urgent care doctor......go figure.

Wait. The neuro told you to wait until the LP when you're in that much pain? Yes, you don't have an MS diagnosis, but if they're ordering an LP, they should have enough evidence to consider treating you.

Time to find a new neurologist. Putting you in the position where you have to go to an urgent care unit is NOT an acceptable option. You got very lucky. Many of them don't have enough knowledge to treat an MS patient. And I speak from experience on this one...was told by my original neurologist when I called with issues that they could see me in two weeks or if it got really bad, I could to the ER. Two ER visits in a month, in which very little got done. I've switched neuros and haven't been to the ER since. The last time I thought I'd have to end up there (one of those headaches), I called the neuro and had a new script within an hour. You might consider waiting until you have all the tests, but honestly, to me, it's ringing warning bells.

And don't feel afraid to speak up. It's okay to call your PCP and say "I can't get my neurologist to address X, Y, and Z." It's part of their job!
    Hang in there. I know this is very frustrating, but there is an end to the testing, at least.

Comment

went to urgent care

Yes, that is pretty much what the neurologist said. His office called me back and said "Dr. Fluff-n-stuff (yes i improvised a name lol) has made note of your symptoms and still wants to proceed with the LP.

I did drop my PCP and am seeing a new one tomorrow. I have heard many great things about this PCP, that he is caring, takes time to listen to patients etc, so I hope this is all true.

I got a hard copy of my latest MRI (see post "several lesions) so maybe he can tell me what all that means. If he works out to be a competent PCP, I will have him refer me to another Neurologist.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan! Hang in there!

Comment

Sometimes the urgent care doctors have their own practice too. I know my duaghter used to be seen by the same one all the time before she had her own doctors and insurance.

Why not ask?

Comment

I think the important factor is urgent med center really helps specially since going to the doctor sometimes it takes time for getting a schedule to have a check ups but with the urgent care centers it helps saves time and you can have your check up immediately.
            immediate care center

Comment

Working...
            X