My experience with stem cells therapy in Panama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with stem cells therapy in Panama

I'm 51, and I've multiple sclerosis since 18 years.
    The desease has not been too agressive in the first 14 years, but it has worsened in the last 4 years. It is secondary progressive form. My main symptoms are bladder and bowel difficulties, as well as erection problems, and to a lesser extend fatigue and spasticity in the legs.
    I've never had any medical treatment, as my neurologist says it doesn't work with secondary progressive MS. I'm just careful with what I eat : no animal fat, first pressure oils, organic fruits and vegetables. I'm also having various food supplements such as primerose oil, selenium, and stemenhance.

I went to the Stem Cell Institute in Panama (cellmedicine.com/locations.asp) in march 2010 for a two week treatment. I decided to tell the story of my experience on this forum, specially for those who are considering going for such therapy.

The people at the SCI were nice, friendly, and professional. Everything was well organised, with a taxi picking me up at my hotel always right on time.
    The different places where the treatment took place were very clean.
    I've had 5 intracathetal injections, and 2 intraveinous injections.
    The intracathetal used cells from umbilical cords, while the intraveinous were using stem cells from my own fat (obtained from a mini-liposuction).
    The treatment was not painful, except for the mini-liposuction which was a little
    unpleasant.
    The treatment costed me 22500 US$. With the travel (from France) and accomodation expenses for me and the accompanying person, the total amount was approximately 26000 US$.

Unfortunately, 6 months after the treatment, I still don't feel any improvement.
    (but the treatment has not worsened my condition either).

Of course this is only my own experience, and others probably have indeed been improved.
    Now I'm just hoping that the new theory on CCSVI will eventually be the solution ...

Good luck to all of you who are in the same quest as I am.
    Zaz

thank you!

Posting your experience is about the best thing that happened to me! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that this "miracle cure" didn't work so well on the disease itself for you, but please know that you helped me.

You see? My husband, oh about 2 years ago, was insisting that "we" go there, almost immediately, to Panama, to get this treatment because it would surely help!!! I know he meant well, but for me something like this is just too much and too far out to even consider trying until some excellent data (good reliable scientific data) is published in a respected journal.

Your post, and sadly your experience with it, gave me proof that there is doubt that this procedure will do what it claims to. Thank you!!!!!!!! I feel so much better knowing that I made the right choice then!

In time, and maybe even through the use of stem cells, a "cure" will be found for this nasty disease, but until then all we can do is hold out hope........

Comment

Keeping a watchfull eye on the snake oil pushers and con artist's.

Comment

Where ?

Where is the Panama clinic ?
        Thanks
        Tony

Comment

The Panama Clinic (Panama City) is the same company that relocated from Costa Rica. I went to CR last summer and my results were as zaz's as was my experience.

I don't think "snake oil" is an accurate description. Just about everyone I know who has gone was given fairly good information ahead of time as well as no guarantees. I didn't feel any more mislead than when the doctor reccomends trying a DMD which won't work for me (SPMS) because after all, he can say I'm RRMS and the insurance company will pay. Oh yeah its FDA approved don't you know?
          Steve
          sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

i hope it all works for you

I am scared to try it...hope it all works for you

Comment

My experience with stem cells therapy in Panama Reply to Thread

WOW. that was sort of dishearting to read. I was really a suporter of Stem cell Thearapy. Even though I would never beable to have that done, because the lack of funds. I really put my belief in it to atleast cure others. This news makes me sad to have found out that stem cell thearpy was a false hope.
              ~*~miranda~*~
              hmmyeah thats me

Comment

I am happy that you shared your experience.

And, I will pray that you find a 100% effective
                solution very soon.

Comment

The one thing that concerns me about this is the fat derived stem cells being injected by IV into your bloodstream. This has been shown to be extremely risky, and there have been countless deaths overseas from this, either from infection (the stem cells not being sterile when infused) or from blood clots that form. There has been a lot of coverage of this the last few days because Texas Governor Rick Perry used fat derived stem cells for a procedure on his back - it was both used on the bone (which fat cells are not even believed to help with bone healing), and infused via IV.
                  Diagnosis: May, 2008
                  Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I am glad you tried the treatment. I am sorry it wasnt more rewarding for you. It seems to be that our ms is so individual, and what works for one, will not nec. work for another. But no matter what, I think it is important that we keep an open mind for new treatments.
                    We have to stay open, and receptive, for treatments to work. THanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

Our Stem Cell Experience

We went to Costa Rica Cell Medicine for Stem Cell Treatment in 2009. It did not work and in fact we believe it set my partner back 5 years. We have heard from others that they have progressed significantly since the treatment. Maybe it is trauma to the body from the lipo surgery or stem cell inplant that causes the immune system to go off, who knows. Would we do it again, probably not, but at the time we had no other alternatives for his secondary progressive MS. Good Luck.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience.

Comment

report from Panama

I also did the stem cell transplant in Panama City shortly after they started there in 2009.
                          Since I live in Panama part time and am a "pensioner" I got a discount - only $23,000. for a month treatment.
                          I agree regarding most of the "clean, professional, etc." positives. But the "director" of the clinic was very uninvolved with the patients and I had an inexperienced main doctor- I endured giardia (which I contracted from the hotel pool) for a month without treatment. So I was in no shape to benefit and I didn't. At all.
                          I do believe that stem cell transplant will be a viable option in the FUTURE for neurorecovery (it won't cure your ms though. Repeat: it doesn't cure ms. You will still have ms. If that confuses you, then you have alot more reading about stem cells to do).
                          But IT IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME NOW. So unless you truly have $$$ to burn and excess spirit, morale, energy, and time to waste, you should not even consider this for your MS.
                          The clinic does provide a very active exercise regimen. That alone will improve your function. So, instead start actively exercising, doing balance work, swimming, doing strength training, and develop strong habits for physical pattern building. No matter what gym or trainer you use, it will be cheaper than $23,000.
                          and it will work better too.

Comment

but...the stem cell treatment can't repair old CNS damage, correct? if thats the case then whatever damage you went in with, you will come out with. this is my understanding of the stem cell treatment. HOWEVER, the stem cell therapy should stop further decline. is this true? if so, why does it seem that others are so disappointed with thier results? is there something i am missing? did you have further progression of the disease after you completed the treatment?
                            dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

Ideally you would get treated, and cured, early in the disease process. The longer the wait, the less effective a cure could be as nerve cells die out. Not saying that any particular stem cell treatment is a cure, but if it helps, the earlier you do it the better. You have to trade that off, of course, with the fact that treatments tend to get better with time and experience. For me, I am waiting until I notice a significant decline in my symptoms, hoping for additional advancements as I wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X