Viral Meningitis and Tysabri?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viral Meningitis and Tysabri?

I have searched the web to find the answer, but have had no luck. Maybe no news is good news.

The reason for my question:

I am scheduled to start Tysabri this month, assuming my blood work and insurance gives my Neuro the green light. I know that most people worry about PML, and naturally it's in the back of my mind, but I've also got good reason to be concerned about Viral Meningitis.

I've contracted it two years in a row, right down to the same month (October... yes, I'm currently paranoid LOL), and they suspect I'm probably more susceptible to it. Gee, ya think? It's not a deadly illness, but I can confidently say how much it sucks and how painful it is. Not to mention the week or two hospital stay that comes with it.

Since it is a viral infection of the CNS, does it stand to reason that Tysabri could make me even more inclined to get VM? It still won't change my mind about starting Ty since I'm so ready for something that actually stands a chance of halting my progression and maybe even making me feel more like myself again. But I am curious if anyone has the answer, or even an opinion about it.

During my last Neuro visit, I completely forgot to ask about that. *smacks forehead*
    dx Transverse Myelitis March/2008 - dx upgraded to RRMS June/2008
    Rebif June/2008
    Tysabri October/2010

When you mentioned viral meningitis, I knew I had read of someone recently having that illness. So I went looking...Marc (the Wheelchair Kamikaze blog) had viral meningitis not long ago. I don't think he's on tysabri, in fact he mentions contracting it after he had a methotrexate treatment. Here's the link:

http://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com/20...p-in-road.html

Comment

Tysabri

It does make you more susceptible to infections. I would discuss this with neuro and Touch program, and especially the infusion center. They would not treat me until I got rid of oral candida--and yours is far more significant. Get clearance from your Neuro first, is what I was told while on prednisone.

Best!

Comment

My Neuro definitely knows about my last two bouts of Viral Meningitis since he was the primary consulting doctor during my hospital stay. He's also the Neuro overseeing the TOUCH program in his office, along with a specialized nurse.

I'd like to assume that he feels confident in our choice to go with Tysabri in spite of the Meningitis, but I will bring it up again with him and the nurse just to make sure he didn't overlook it. My cases have always come on the heals of something like the flu, so I at least know what to watch for.

Wow, I read the blog entry posted above and then looked up methotrexate for MS. He was pretty brave to give that a try. Wow!
        dx Transverse Myelitis March/2008 - dx upgraded to RRMS June/2008
        Rebif June/2008
        Tysabri October/2010

Comment

Working...
        X