Suprapubic Catheter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suprapubic Catheter

I don't even know if I spelled it right but has anyone had any experience with this? I have questions from someone who has had this done.

suprapubic catheter

yes, u did spell it right. i've had one for 7+ yrs. i may be able to answer ur question. ask away...

Comment

Me too

Best thing I ever did for myself.

Ask away.

KK

Comment

Catheter questions

I am so happy someone has had experience with this. I have a lot of questions but this is what we can think of. Where do you wear the urinary bag? Do you wear dresses all the time? Does your peehole get sewn shut? What about sex? How do you empty the bag? I have been using a catheter for over 10 years but my hands and feeling are not working and my husband has been having to do it. Have used the indwelling catheter for trips and extented times that my husband is not available, but I don't want to use one permanently.Thanks, Jonna

Comment

jonna, you beat me to it. i am also wondering about those things, only from a mans view. i`m just having too many utis. is there a way to sterilize to prevent uti`s?

dave
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

suprapubic catheter

k, here goes...
            uti's r common with any indwelling catheter, not just sp's. ask ur dr about taking low-dose daily antibiotics to stave off uti's...it's done all the time.
            i'm a female and never wear dresses. the sp hole is below the waistband. if wearing long pants i strap the bag on my thigh. if i wear shorts i wear a longish top and just shove the bag under it. u can move the tube around, it's not a big deal. also, long shorts (knee-length), and capri's r gr8 cos the legbag fits on the thigh.
            the bag is the same as one for any indwelling cath - it's called a legbag. one end connects to the tube, the other has a spout u can open/close. i just pull up to a toilet bowl, whip out the bag and empty into the bowl (it reaches while the other end of the tube is still in my body). if i know i'm going somewhere where there's no accessible bathroom i bring an empty water bottle and go off to a quiet corner and empty into that. it's almost as good as being a man
            the peehole does not get sewn shut. as long as the catheter is draining properly nothing will come out of the peehole.
            sex...i no longer have it but it's much easier cos the tube is not down below. i would think for a guy the sp is a godsend cos it can be left in while having sex. u just have to strap the bag securely to ur leg (they come with straps).
            in general, like kk said, its the best thing i ever did. the surgery is simple...usually outpatient. it's much more comfortable and much easier to change. u don't have to search for the hole, it's right there.
            to jonna - u cannot use this setup occasionally...it has to be all the time cos the sp hole will close up after several hrs. if there's no tube in it. it's basically an open wound. it's possible there is something can plug the hole with while there's no tube in it. i'm not sure, u'd have to ask ur dr about that.
            k, i think that's everything. anymore Q's, just ask.
            ......cesca......

Comment

S C

You have been very helpful. A few more questions if you don't mind. How much did the surgery cost? Does insurance cover it? Do you have any trouble with the hole? Did your skin grow around the tube or is it something you have to take care of all the time? Was it really an outpatient thing? I had the idea you had to go into the hospital and have surgery.Thanks

Comment

Good Questions

Bags - bed bags hold 2,000 cc of urine. Usually will fill up during a 10 hour period. Leg bags come in several sizes. 500 cc is small. I use 1,000 cc during the day. There is also a belly bag which is worn on top of the belly. Great bag but it is expensive & hard to clean.

Urine can still come out the normal way. You only have another way to get the urine out.

Sex - normal, natural, when ever you want it. The catheter can be clamped off. The urine is held in your bladder.

For men - a Texas cath is popular from what I hear. Since I am female, haven't seen one.

UTI's - If the incision area is not cleaned several times a day, bacteria will grow on the skin & enter the body. The catheter connections MUST be cleaned with alcohol daily.

I have a nurse come every 3 weeks to change my cath because I have use of only one arm. My insurance covers it. It takes 2 hours for the incision to completely close. Then it is a repeat surgery.

Comment

sp cath

i'm sorry, i have no clue what the surgery cost. it was totally paid by my insurance, i never even saw a bill.
                  it really was outpatient, even for me (and i'm in pretty bad shape). i guess it's considered a relatively simple procedure. i remember waking up quickly afterwards and feeling ok...just a little weaker than normal...and going home after 2, 3 hrs.
                  skin doesn't grow around the tube. if it did it would be hard to change. but as kelly said it's good to cleanse the area frequently to keep bacteria away. if ur diligent about that there should be no issues.
                  if u think of anymore Q's just ask. .....cesca.....

Comment

SP cath - ***CORRECTION

i'm so sorry. i messed up. it hit me this morning i was confusing my sp procedure with another bladder procedure....i've had so many surgeries/procedures it's hard to keep them straight. so the sp procedure is inpatient. still it wasn't very invasive or painful.
                    k, just wanted to straighten that out. sorry. .....cesca.....

Comment

hey kk, when you clean the area, does the alcohol burn? "The catheter connections MUST be cleaned with alcohol daily. " how does the connection to your bladder occur? is it just a tube?

dave

'
                      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                      volunteer
                      MS World
                      hunterd@msworld.org
                      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

man with superapublic cath

i have had the super puvic cath for 8 months ,i had to go through 20 visits to emerg ,years of constant bladder infections,the freedom i experance is awsome no more bladder infections ,no more getting out of bed 10 or more times a night .there is a lot i could write but the posts got it covered ,the only part i did not see is the flushing of the cath,it's just a madder of filling a large suringe with sterile saline and injecting it into the bladder and pulling it back out,because the cath did plug on me.All the best ,it's best thing i could have done

Comment

SP

So much great information. Thanks!! I am currently taking ditropan which I want to stop. Do you have to take a pee pill with this to keep from leaking?

Comment

I really wanted to do the SP. But my uero said no,he said it was not good for me.
                            He didn't want to be rude,as he much younger than I am, but it came down to extra weight I have he said it wouldn't be good for me.
                            So I just self-cath,it works well for me. I have a foley put in when I travel.
                            Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

OWL - it is your life

The constant lack of bladder control, the smell from leakage, the infections - I am over weight but I can not take care of the problem by myself. As long as you can stand yourself, It is up to you. When it gets to be too much, find another doc.

Cleaning my cath area - I use alcohol pads or vinegar well diluted or iodine. Any of these will kill germs. Don't put any of these inside your body. That will burn & do damage.

There is a bulb that goes inside your bladder. Fill that with sterile water to keep it in place. There is a part of the tube that hangs out your body that you attach the drainage bag to.

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X