Canadian Healthcare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Healthcare?

Hi. I am a Canadian. Healthcare is managed provincially so there are probably different answers for different provinces, but I was wondering how any other Canadians were finding the healthcare system with their MS?

My sister has been DX'd for 15 years. She spent the first 10 in Alberta and the last 5 in Manitoba. The way she has been treated has left her totally paranoid... as she tells it. Maybe the paranoia is part of her MS because she does have multiple lesions on her brain and has a lot of cognitive dysfunction.

Being in Limbo myself right now, I am wondering if I should take her paranoid (do not trust any doctors!) attitude to heart or if real help is available.

I have had mostly good experiences with healthcare in Ontario. When I was first diagnosed, I really didn't like my neuro, so I asked my PCP to refer me to another one. I've been going to my current one for many years and he has been wonderful. When you call for an appointment, they say he's booking 6 months out, but if you say you're having a major problem, they manage to fit you in soon.

When I broke my ankle last year, because of my inability to balance/walk the hospital sent me to Rehab for 2 weeks, to learn how to manage while non-weightbearing. There was a team of nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, social workers, to make sure that when I went home I would be safe.

When I did get home, they sent a physiotherapist and occupational therapist to my home a couple of times.

The only issue I have right now is with the Trillium drug plan, which is supposed to help with drug costs if you don't have insurance. It seems that every drug I take, or my DH takes, isn't covered...

The Assistive Devices program helped with the cost of my walker a few years ago, as well as with my power chair.

So, I don't know which province you're in, but just wanted to tell you that it's not all bad

Comment

Thanks!

That is reassuring. So far my GP has been great and is fast tracking me through an MRI and Neurologist, but not every doctor is as great as he is. I live in Manitoba. I am going to go fill out my profile now so people can tell that

Comment

Wpg MS Clinic

While there can be waits for some tests (eg MRIs) - from my own experience -and from some acquaintances - I think they are prioritized in a reasonable way. One person I know saw the doc with significant symptoms - was fast-tracked into a neurologist within days - and MRI within a few days - they were thinking brain tumour - turns out it was MS.
        My experience with the MS clinic has been good - again, follow up can be prioritized with need - I was referred to physio and OT - because of a few falls (I did not think was a big deal)- but the clinic referred me to be pro-active. They have nutritionist time, bladder clinic, etc. Yes, it's a teaching environment - but I must say, everything runs pretty efficiently (for me, any way). If I have a question, I leave a message with the clinic nurse, they get back to me. It seems like they are able to triage a lot of things - med renewals, EDS (exceptional drug status)
        I am on Pharmacare - but because of combined income of spouse and myself - have to say the deductible is high - but again, assessed on need. We do have a program that combines Pharmacare with Hydro - so that people who qualify can do a monthly co-pay plan to pay with hydro bill, rather than all the deductible up front until it gets covered. All things considered, and given the universal stresses on the health system, at this point, I am satisfied with the treatment I am getting. I can't imagine having MS and no medical coverage/insurance.

Comment

Re MS Clinic in Winnipeg

Geez. What great information and a pretty good review of our Clinic. I am particularly interested in the Pharmcare/Hydro program. I, personally, am in limbo land, but my sister is 15 + post DX, and she spends a fortune on medications.

Currently she is taking large doses of Methadone that amount to over $400 a month. She claims that it is not covered by Pharmacare at all, but because she has many lesions on her brain, she has severe cognitive disfunction and is not always, sadly, a help in her own care. I try to dig for the truth within her gently and so as not to insult her intelligence (she is brilliant) or pride. It is a fine line.

She is also supposed to be taking a monthly injection that costs $17,000 a year and IS covered by Pharmacare, but she cannot get organized enough to get it done.

Being on LTD and CPP, $400 is a third of her monthly income, and she is burrowing deeper and deeper into debt. I have told her that I will deal with Pharmacare with her. I, personally, have found them to be very helpful, but my sister is convinced that they are sinister and a part of the entire plot between all doctors and the system.

Does anyone happen to know if Methadone is a covered drug in Manitoba? I cannot reach my sister for weeks at a time, but when I do, I like to make good progress with her in terms organizing her life and helping her get the most out of the system that she can.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Pharmacare

If you check the government of Manitoba website, they may give you more info on what's covered. The other thing, is doctors can advocate with exceptional ciricumstances to see if the meds can be covered. If your sister is having difficulty getting it together for the application forms, the MS clinic nurse, or social worker may be able to help her. She does not necessarily need to re-book an appointment with the doctor at the clinic - just ask to speak to one of the doc's clinic nurses.
            Hope it works out for her.

Comment

I live in Ontario and am on the Trillum Drug Plan which is basically the Ontario Drug Benifit program for low income families.
              I am on Copaxone and even with the ODB I need help from the Copaxone Assistance Program who helps cover %80 of my $600+ copay.
              I'm sure if you looked into it you're province would have SOMETHING to help...even the drug company. Most have programs to help these days.
              Best of luck!
              Well look at you, Mr. Walkway. Go on, lead me to the building.

Diagnosed 09/24/99 RRMS, Copaxone 02/2011

Comment

Methadone?

I can say from my DX onward, that my care has been very good. The Ottawa MS clinic is headed by Dr Freedman and is a well respected Neuro in the research of MS. So other than a few w medsaiting times for an MRI, I can't recall not getting the care, if I need it quickly, has not been responded to with priority.
                I am curious, though, and maybe someone could clarify this , but your sister has MS and is taking Methadone? I can't say I've heard too many people with MS taking that med! I could be wrong, I'm guessing it's for pain relief? There are a lot of alternatives to Meds related to MS Pain!

Comment

Canadian Healthcare

What I have found most frustrating is that he docs here tend to go by the radiologist reports and don't look at the films to make a decision. I keep teelin them to do that, that is important that they do. I feel igonerd...

Comment

Working...
                  X