Medicare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare

I will be eligible for Medicare in a few years. I currently have CIGNA High Option. It has covered all my MS and other medical needs. It covers Copaxone. I only pay $90 for a three-month supply.

I'm concerned about my coverage after I pick up Medicare. I know that I will need to pick up a Medicare Gap Insurance. I may just keep my current insurance along with it.

Does anyone have experience with Medicare? Should I pick it up or just keep my current insurance? I'm so afraid that my MS related tests and meds may not be covered.

I'm really confused about how Medicare works with a secondary insurance. Any advice will be appreciated.

If you are working and your insurance is like mine, you are required to have Medicare, when you are eligible, and then your current insurance will become your 'secondary'(or you choose another). After I retired and accepted the required medicare my employer reimbursed me ea month because my insurance, when it became a secondary to Medicare, costs less.

Medicare does not pay for the meds unless you chose Medicare part D as your secondary. A $30 a month copay is an excellent copay to the ridiculous prices charged for these medications.

When I started on Betaseron in '94 it cost $800 a month and my copay was $0. The current monthly charge is $2500+ for the same medicine. My copay will go from the current $45 a month to $75 in Jan. Big Business!

I hope I haven't confused you..If you're working check with your Personnel Dept, If not, the Ins Co can tell you what coverages will be at this time
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Medicare

Thanks so much for your reply. It does make sense. I can't believe how much our meds cost! I am retired from the Federal Goverment. I will be signing up for Medicare when I am 65. I'm currently 60. I will stay with my current plan to pay for my meds, but will use Medicare as my primary insurance. Again, thanks!

Cammie

Comment

paying for Medicare

I medically retired from the State (Ca)in '97 and then SSDI in 2000

My poor Sis-in-law turned 65 in May and is now getting quarterly bills for her Medicare. She is still working and not drawing her Social Security so they are presenting her with a big bill. It's not so bad when the payment is taken out of your Social Security monthly ..but quarterly, it's another major bill for her
        my best to you...Susan
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Medicare

My MS didn't get really bad until the last six months of my career. Luckily, I was able to retire with full retirement at age 55.

Your poor sister-in-law. I can't imagine having to pay for Medicare while still working and then having to pay it quarterly.

Comment

She should be able to change it to monthly, biggest problem is getting to talk to a 'human' at Medicare/SS.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Medicare payments

you're right Bill..she got hold of someone yesterday that told her she could pay monthly, as long as she was 'caugh up' with the quarterly payments ..It's sad that during the first call she was told her she could not do that.

I'm so thankful to have SSDI and have it all come out of there

Comment

Working...
              X