Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vets Muster on the MS deck, Sept 12 2010

ATTENTION all veterans...
    ....Time to FALL IN for Muster on the MS deck.

Question? Are there other veterans here interested in say a weekly thread by for and about us veterans with MS?

If we can have a good musters here, maybe Sparky will set us up with our own Vet forum. Hey that would make threads regarding Veterans topics much easier to find in the friendly seas of MSworld. Sparky, get your janitor ready!

As veterans we have some different situations than most civilian MSers. We deal with the VA and some of us get our medical care thru VA medical Centers, issues of getting help with disability and pensions etc.

Lately the VA seems to be trying harder to give us MS care, at least for me that seems to be the case at my local VA clinic and VAMC in Ann Arbor mi.

The VA web site..... (link below) list notice of free monthly educatinal conference calls. While no specific info is list currently for Sept 2010, it does state they are on the second Monday of each month. I just checked an so far no topic etc shown for Sept, just Aug, but keep checking, that may get updated (I hope) this week after the Labor Day holiday.

http://www4.va.gov/MS/articles/Educa...ence_Calls.asp

What: Patient and Caregiver conference calls
    When: Second Monday of each month
    Time: 5-6pm PT, 6-7pm MT, 7-8pm CT, 8-9pm ET
    How: call 1.800.767.1750, wait to hear the welcome message then punch the code 43157#

I have never participated in one yet myself, but plan to try it this month. maybe another Vet here can post here about their experience with this and any tips etc also welcome. Based on the web site info it should be Monday Sept. 13th.. You might want to double check the link above for further info or updates

Sound OFF;

How was your week, any Dr. apts, Va or non-VA?

How does your week ahead look?

Tin-Hut!....Crew, DISMISSED!

Gomer No MIAs allowed this week! (unless you are in SickBay)

First bad appt. with PcP

I had my 6 month visit with my PCP last Wednesday. They were about 1/2 hour behind so he was rushed. He seemed to ignore my complaint about the odd feeling on my legs (see separate post).

I complained of breathing issues, but he said he didn't hear any wheezing (I am on 3 daily inhalers). I have been feeling a tickle deep in my chest and coughing. A bit of Post nasal drip, but not enough to cause what I feel. I think I aspirated some saliva in a choking about a week and a half before the breathing issue. So he gave me 5 days of oral steroids...

I complained about my swallowing issue (see other post several pages back). That one he paid attention to. I am supposed to be sent to ENT.

I discovered while showering a lump near my left leg and pubic bone and it turns out to be an enlarged inguinal lymph node. He felt my others and said it was the only one and not to worry...

So, overall, I was very discouraged. I never got to talk to him about a skin problem nor who my new neuro was to be.

I asked him if I should get a follow up MRI and he said no. I have been a bit worried with the new odd feeling in my legs (that he ignored)..

Oh well.

Comment

As far as I know, I'm off the hook with the VA until some time in Feb. when I'll need a new set of labs and maybe an exam.
      Meanwhile, a buddy hears about something at the VA called "Stand down". Its supposed to be a deal where vets can get surplus clothes (I think this was just in Iowa) and other stuff so we check it out.
      It was more like a weekend-long tent city for the homeless although I got some items for the vet's home in Marshalltown, a new pair of surplus desert combat boots, an Army-issue winter scarf and some socks along with a neat sea bag. I was kinda hoping for an Army or Air Force winter parka but no joy.
      The moral of the story- be careful with rumors that come out of the Psyche ward at the VA.

Comment

epona.......

"I discovered while showering a lump near my left leg and pubic bone and it turns out to be an enlarged inguinal lymph node. He felt my others and said it was the only one and not to worry..."

I also found an enlarged inguinal lymph node one morning while, guess what, SHOWERING..........

I pointed it out to my famdoc and he said it was probably nothing, BUT, he wanted to watch it close for a while, he had me come in every 2 weeks.

He took the better safe than sorry route and decided it was prudent to take it out, just in case. It came back CANCERous (sarcoma). The lymph system travels/drains throughout the body. A cancer in a remote area can travel to a lymph node, usually nearby, but can travel to a node ANYwhere in the body. My case was a rare nasty one and given a 10% chance of surviving 12 months. That is NOT the usual case, even for most sarcomas. The sugeon was shure he got it all, no other nearby nodes enlarged etc. That was 1982 and I am still kicking ghost.......lol .

What worries me is you breathing issue in conjunctin with this inguinal lymph node. For years after the surgery I was ordered chest Xrays as a result.

IMO BAD very BAD apt w/pcp sounds about right, BAD! Do follow up with the ENT on the swallowing issue, AND.....
        Get a SECOND OPINION about the breathing and lymph node issue, THAT's an ORDER! It may be NOTHING, but WHY take the chance?

PLEASE do follow-up and also get the second opinion! I sincerely hope its nothing, but better safe than sorry, plus it may help put your mind at ease.

Doc Gomer Now, epona, DOUBLE-Time!

Comment

Gomer

Thank you. Everybody thinks I worry too much, but hey, I know my body and the only other time I had ANY enlarged lymph nodes other than the ones under the chin area was when I nearly died of MONO (round 2 of the disease, BTW). I spent 3 days in the hospital with IV steroids and antibiotics as my complete lymph system back then was a mess.

Mono can be VERY BAD! My lymph nodes when I had it the second time were so enlarged I couldn't put down my arms as they hurt and I couldn't breathe as they had closed off my throat (along with my tonsils). They discussed giving me a trach! My spleen was about to burst and liver was enlarged and I was becoming jaundice. Bad deal.

That is why I worry about the nodes now. I will find a way to get another opinion without seeing my usual guy. Unfortunately, I will have to do Urgent care and end up with a PA...

Comment

Sorry for the YELLING text.......not

I was NOT amused by your docs attitude one bit. You post, the part of lymph node, wehre, inguinal and how/where/when discovered could be ME in '82. Same leg same place, found same way etc etc. So, because of the too many exact specs in your list, it kinda HIT ME!

Good luck on getting a second opinion, or thrid if need be.

take no prisoners, or in this case NO CHANCES!

Doc Gomer

Comment

Gomer

That's alright. Of course, my SO thinks I am worrying too much and thinking the worst...

I just noticed the one on the other side is noticeable now, but still smaller than the other one...

I hope to try to convince somebody there to look closer.

Comment

Epona.....

YOU must do what YOU feel is best for YOU.

YOU are the one that has to live with whatever choices in life YOU make.

Doc Gomer Good luck and best wishes

Comment

Vets

Gomer, I'm a Vet and would love to see a Thread for Vets!!!

Comment

gomer

I truly appreciate your advice!

I spent last night (16 SEP) at the E-room. I have had a migraine for 4 days and finally couldn't stand it anymore. I drove there after work and they tried 3 times to get an IV into me. I guess 3 was the charm as they finally did and pumped me full of some drug called Reglan.

After about a half hour of that, they shot me in the BUTT with some other drug (DHE?) related to Cafergot. One of the ergot based abortatives. Half hour later, it cut it in half and they let me go.

Unfortunately, I still have bits of the headache left and three bruised spots on my arms and hand. Oh well. I do feel better than the last 4 days!

I am wondering if the 5 day course of oral steroids triggered it. Sometime messing with my hormones will give me killer migraines.

Needless to say, I felt to crappy to mention anything else, like the lymph node

Comment

Working...
                    X