Lucky Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucky Day?

Yesterday, when I checked the mail, I got a fat envelope from the VA. Nervously, I opened it. Boy was I surprised!

I had put in a disability claim for MS and eye problems associated with it. I was floored when I read that they actually gave me disability for it! I now have 30% for MS with history of Vitreitis of left eye.

What it also means is that they have decided I DO have MS after all. So, not so lucky there, but lucky that anything to do with the disease is totally free to me at the VA.

On top of that, they pay me for it! So, with my other disabilities, my combined is 60%. That is TAX FREE money in my pocket to the tune of $974.00/month. Totally worth 19 years of military service, I tell you!

I also think that being over 50% I get concurrent payments which means that I will not have my retirement pay deducted by the amount of disability I receive. That means when I am 60, I will have all my military retirement coming to me too. Finally things have sort of gone my way. Too bad I had to get MS to make it so.

I just wanted to share this with you in case there are other military types out there. As long as you are dx within 10 yrs, I believe, of leaving Active Duty, you have a chance of getting a claim in and approved. I was at school at Fort Sam when I got the Optic Neuritis. That was in May 09. So, they considered it during my active duty service, even though I am back on regular National Guard status until my retirement in NOV 2011.

I am toasting you with a large mug of Navy coffee. Well, its decaf but the thought is there.
    Sounds like you'll hit the 20 as well, you Lifer.

Honestly, I'm really happy this worked out for you. Not to get your hopes up, but are you getting back paid on the claim from the time you filed?

Comment

Huge CONGRATS!

I am service connected but for my hearing loss, so I get my hearing aids and suplies at NO cost. I have debated myself trying for service connection for the MS. I had diplopia before I joined the Navy, and it got worse while stationed in Fla. I could not get my glasses properly Rx'd and became a GOMER (Get Out MY Exam Room) while on active duty. I was even a Gomer at the VA in some aspects, even sent to the shrink because I was "ADAMANT" that something else was wrong back in the 80s.

Fast forward to Jan 2010, and the VA FINALLLY gave me a formal RRMS Dx and now on Copaxone. At least I only have to pay $8/month for the Copaxone. Heck $8 is a heck of a lot cheaper than nearly $3,200/month at Wal-Mart!

Again Congrats!

Doc Gomer

Comment

Thanks!

Sorry it took so long for you, Gomer. Yes, the copay is better at the VA than Walmart

I am also lucky to have one of the best VA's in the country, White River Junction, VT. When they had all that stuff in the news about mold and stuff, WRJ came out smelling like roses. We also have an exchange with doctors from Dartmouth, so we get some good ones to take care of us and are not quite so jaded.

Comment

The time from active duty to diagnosis is limitted to 7 years. You can appeal your disability percent to the VA, the 30% is kind of the minimum for MS. It can be raised, possibly to a total of 100%, even more money.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Almost forgot, maybe give it a couple of years after you burn the BDUs but you might want to check around for service groups once you get used to being a civilian again.
            As much as the service could be a pain, you'd be amazed at how much you can miss it.
            I lucked into finding a group called Subvets when I moved out here. Some of the members in my chapter include an old shipmate (a true bud), one of my old instructors, and a guy who served on the sister ship to my first "boat" (a diesel). We have meetings every two months which is painless (except for my voice).

Comment

Originally posted by wkikta View Post
              The time from active duty to diagnosis is limited to 7 years. You can appeal your disability percent to the VA, the 30% is kind of the minimum for MS. It can be raised, possibly to a total of 100%, even more money.
              I think the phrase is "anything above 70% equals 100%".

Comment

Thanks!

Bob698 - Thank you. Yeah, I'd have been done this year if I hadn't taken two off between AD and NG. Thankfully I was at Fort Sam on orders when this all happened. Usually only Title 10 orders count as AD when in the NG, not Title 32, so since schools for MOS usually are Title 10, it counted.

I spent about 5 months training as a VSO for the state, so I pretty much knew what to do and what to expect.

Wkikta, I know 30% is the minimum, but at my comp. appt. I passed all their little tests so they think I am pretty healthy. It is mostly in my eye anyway at this point. If I get worst, I can get it increased.

Comment

Congrats epona! I salute you!!
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Oh,

I am getting a back check too. I filed in January 2010. That will be nice. Not the whole 978x8 since I have been getting paid 40% since May... Still, it will be nothing to complain about as I have only been working a temp job for the last two months and that may be going to part time for only 3 more months then who knows... Thank God for my SO or I'd have lost my house and car and who knows what else.

Comment

Originally posted by epona View Post
                      Thank God for my SO or I'd have lost my house and car and who knows what else.
                      Yeah, it was getting pretty hairy for me as well. My original SO back in Maine saved my butt with some emergency funds before my pension kicked in (a couple of months late).
                      I spent about 5 months training as a VSO for the state
                      I will gladly defer to your experience if you want to handle these posts.

Comment

Bob698

I think we can share helping out with VA stuff. I am certainly not a complete expert!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
                          Yeah, it was getting pretty hairy for me as well. My original SO back in Maine saved my butt with some emergency funds before my pension kicked in (a couple of months late).

I will gladly defer to your experience if you want to handle these posts.
                          Well, now I feel dumb.
                          I thought SO meant Service Officer.
                          Back when it looked like I'd be tap dancing for my landlord so she wouldn't kick me out, the VA SO said the state had a one-time grant program for vets so I was able to make my rent.

Comment

Working...
                          X