Figured out a way to make this fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figured out a way to make this fun

I was diagnosed in 2005 after a huge attack. There was no doubt, I was in the ER completly numb from mid-chest to my feet. 2008 I had to start using a cane and in 2010 my diagnosis was changed to progressive MS. Since I need a cane every day, all the time, I thought I would search the "net" for a different cane. I didn't mind the generic one I had but I found shopping for canes to be much more involved and almost enjoyable. I've bought 2 new ones. Both elaborate in their own ways. I had also found 2 older ones that I think were my Grandfather's and so now with my original, I have 6. This actually makes walking with a cane kind of fun. I guess we just have to find our own ways of coping.

Hi korgc35! Want more fun??

Name your canes! I have 3 and they all have names. Even more fun? Talk to them by name. They won't answer and others may think you're crazy, but Hey! we have to find our fun wherever we can!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Knit,crochet of sew cane cozies! Paint them...add flowers, rhinestones or other embellishments. Totally customize them. Make them scream "you".

If you add the embellishments to a cozy, it's all easily switched for your mood. Or go for the gusto and add directly to the canes.

Comment

I think these are great ideas to make things light-hearted! What a great attitude to have.

Thanks for posting this!

-Emily

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
          Knit,crochet of sew cane cozies! Paint them...add flowers, rhinestones or other embellishments. Totally customize them. Make them scream "you".

If you add the embellishments to a cozy, it's all easily switched for your mood. Or go for the gusto and add directly to the canes.
          i love my canes too. especially gandolf. Mrs.Bones where do you find a pattern for a 'cane cozy' (crochet)?
          try fashionablecanes.com. they've got oodles of unique, gorgeous, and very different canes. it's fun just to 'window shop'!
          i love my specialty canes because they have lots more personality than my adjustable, metal cane the PT insisted i had to use!
          have fun! take care and God bless ya!
          "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by poohb3ar View Post
            i love my canes too. especially gandolf. Mrs.Bones where do you find a pattern for a 'cane cozy' (crochet)?
            try fashionablecanes.com. they've got oodles of unique, gorgeous, and very different canes. it's fun just to 'window shop'!
            i love my specialty canes because they have lots more personality than my adjustable, metal cane the PT insisted i had to use!
            have fun! take care and God bless ya!

I have shopped at Fashionable Canes when I was still using them. I've "upgraded" to a wheelchair, but still like to window shop there. They have a large variety, something for everyone, really.

For a pattern, you really don't need one. You simply create a tube that slips over the cane. Pick a stitch pattern that tickles your fancy and get to crocheting! It can be worked flat, lengthwise and sewn into a tube or worked in the round.

You could cover the cane entirely, but covering the handle is less secure. You don't get a good grip because the cozy slides around a bit as you try to use it.

The canes I mostly knit for were either derby style handles or ergonomic, so I knit the tube, then attached a strap going over the handle that held it up. I also experimented with elastic and even velco (worked surprisingly well) inside the knitting to hold up the cozy.

My Candy Cane was done with velcro. It's an old school wooden cane, the type the candy is modelled after . I just knit the red and white striped tube and sewed one half of the sticky backed velco in strategic spots inside and the other half stuck to the cane itself.

I found that if the knit or crocheted fabric was dense enough, worked a little tightly and a tad on the snug side, you don't need much if anything to keep it on. It may spin or twist a bit during use, so really that's the main reason for the strap, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X