Trans People Being Denied Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans People Being Denied Care

A friend of mine who is Trans sent me an article on the problems LGB and especially T people can encounter in emergency rooms...ranging from disrespect to outright refusal of treatment.

From the article, a quote by Hector Vargas, executive director of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association:

"When an individual LGBT person doesn’t feel like the health care professionals are welcoming or inclusive of their particular needs, that individual’s actual health is put at risk," he said. "Good health is one of the most important things a person can have and that’s at risk if we don’t address this sort of discrimination in the health care setting in a global way."

To read the whole article, go to

http://www.edgephiladelphia.com/inde...&sc3&id=109016

This particular hospital is taking steps to make sure there's never a repeat of the situation, thankfully, but much more education and retraining needs to happen nationwide.

wow

I was so disgusted by this! although it shouldn't surprise me one bit.

People are people, plain and simple.

Comment

Like anything there will be insensitive jerks but hospitals can not refuse to treat anyone.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        ...hospitals can not refuse to treat anyone.
        If only that were true.

Sure, legally hospitals are obligated to treat urgent care patients, but there are a variety of ways to get around that obligation. Saying you're not really that sick (when you clearly are) and refusing to treat you is one common way. Denying that you need immediate medical attention and fobbing you off on another hospital is another.

Insensitivity is bad enough and has medical as well as emotional consequences, as the article points out. But refusing treatment is completely unacceptable, and it does happen.

Comment

Perhaps it is where you are located? In my large inner city teaching hospital we see it all so while people definitely have their own bias' it is illegal to refuse to treat anyone for any reason and it does not happen based on sexual orientation in my experience.

Now if you are a drug seeking frequent flyer sadly there is the possibility of getting less than urgent attention during visit 1,000 for chest pain of 10/10, however a guy in a dress doesn't even raise an eyebrow.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Working...
          X