Hello from Portugal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Portugal

I have been diagnosed with primary progressive ms a month and half ago. I am on Betaferon (Betaseron in USA) for nearly a month and learning to cope with fatigue and the heat (I didnt know heat alone could stop you).

I have been looking around the web for info: here in Portugal we have a good medical support but I am trying to find solutions for daily problems like heat (right now is 40C outside - thanks for AC!!!)

Welcome Aingles, as far as dealing with the heat, I would suggest a cooling vest and to also time your outings when it is coolest part of day. Here in the Houston, TX area there is no real cool part of the day. I go shopping early in morning and still find I have to use my cooling vest.

I hope that you will do well on the meds and that you will not be too impacted by the MonSter.
    "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Hello aingles,

40C!! All I can think of is "you're my only friend air conditioner"

I do hope you find some relief on Betaseron. I started just 3 weeks ago. I'm still working my way up to a full dose and already the buzzing has eased up in my feet, hands and tongue.

Comment

Hello Aingles from Portugal

Welcome to MS World - nice to meet you!

I, too, was diagnosed with PPMS (in 1999).

Heat intolerance was an early issue, but it has been the worse for me this year. And I didn't realize that "heat alone could stop you" either, until this summer.

The only remedy for me is staying in a cool environment (air conditioning). I take walks in the early evening with my roller walker - I have the need to get outside, even if it is late in the day!

Hopefully you'll benefit from our Forums - interesting information and lots of support

Good luck with finding some relief for fatigue, and stay cool

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your answers.

Being a new arrival to this world, I am discovering a world of friends for whom "normal" is different from everybody else...

I have been mainly keeping myself indoors.

If I can help in any way, please let me know (even being on the other side of Atlantic Ocean)

Comment

Welcome aingles

by the way, your english is excellent, and 'american.' have you lived in the U.S.?

i've found another way that heat sneaks up on us. even when in a cool environment, if you do too much, the body heat that is generated by that effort can make a difference - even if it's only half a degree.

for example, doing dishes or cooking can raise your body temperature slightly, but sometimes that is too much.

look forward to hearing more from you....mary
            If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!

Comment

bem-vinda, anigles
              You only live NOW.
              SX 1999 /DX 2003
              norml.org

Comment

Hello

Dove: Thanks but no, I never have been in America. I think is too many American books, movies and TV series . For example, right now is passing Scrubs in the TV...
                BTW I love your signature

The heat is a problem for me: I live in a zone of Portugal where 40șC is normal in August so I avoid getting outside before 9PM. If you want you can see some photos: *****personal blog address removed as per guidelines. You may put it in your profile by accessing the User CP running atop the message boards*****

My luck is my wife. She spares me too many efforts on a daily basis. I have come to believe this disease is more difficult for women than for men, specially as you mention, when you want to cook, keep a house and so on.

Bye for now to all and thanks for your messages

Comment

Working...
                X