Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mother has MS

Hi to all!

I have just found your forum while surfing the net looking for resources for my mother. I sent her a link to this place and hope that she makes use of it. I have been looking around and am so impressed with all of the information and support here. I will certainly make use of it because I want to know how I can support my mother best.

She is not the type of person to share her problems and I know she suffers in silence. Although this has made it easy for the family to pretend she does not have MS--or, at least, not to think about it, her symptoms have increased so quickly that it is not easy to overlook anymore.

I am worried about what the future holds for her. She is losing the use of some of her fingers, has a hard time walking, has pain and numbness, and I am sure more that she has not told me.

She was diagnosed a few years ago (in her mid-40s--although her symptoms were there for years) and has not been able to afford the medication or MRIs. After the symptoms have gotten worse, though, she has now made it a priority to get on the medicine (so she says). She is kind of hard-headed about that kind of stuff.

I live several states away and am limited in my options to help here. However, I will continue to look at the posts to gather information for her and myself. Mostly, I just want to understand what she feels and get an idea of what to expect in the future--if I can expect anything. I want to know about her options and what works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for being here in cyberspace. I can't imagine how isolated people must have felt before this was available.

Ms.Wordstress
    My mother is the strongest woman I know.

Welcome, MsWordstress! Your mom sounds like so many of us, as denial is a useful tool. Listen, if she needs assistance with her medication(s) or any other medical things related to her MS, please know that it's out there! All she needs to do is ask.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

MsWordstress, Welcome and sorry for your needing to be here. You are a wonderful daughter to try and help her.

I too was and still am hard headed. After decades of this though, I have learned to share what I feel, what I am going through and to seek help and advice. This was very hard for me at first. I pray your mom gets the help she needs and the information.
      "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Jazzgirl: How can she get help with the financial issue with her medication?
        My mother is the strongest woman I know.

Comment

Well, it all depends on what drugs she's taking. If she's on one of the disease-modifying therapies, then she can apply for some help through the drug company that makes the drug that she's on at the time. There's an organization called NORD (National Organization for Rare Diseases) that has assistance programs for people who qualify. Some of the pharmacies now have $4 drug plans for generics (Wal-Mart comes to mind). If you Google "prescription assistance programs" you'll come up with quite a few sites!
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Help to get MRI

The Multiple Sclerosis Association of America.

www.msassociation.org /// 1-800-532-7667 has a program to assit people in getting a brain MRI for free if you qualify.

Jazzgirl gave you the best advice on medication assistance. Most of the drug companies for the DMD's have programs just for people who need assistance in getting their medication.

This is a great site to get infomation and to just be able to talk with people who understand what your dealing with.

Hope your mom gets the help she needs.
            "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

Hello MsWordstress

Welcome to you and your Mom!

Yes, there's alot of info here, as well as support and understanding

Tell your Mom we'll be looking for her to join us. If she's not into sharing her "stuff", she might like to read the threads and posts - most are very interesting. Or, she may even enjoy supporting others

Wishing you and your Mom all the best

Take care,
              KoKo
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
              X