Bladder issues (and ways I deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bladder issues (and ways I deal)

I have been thinking about making this post for some time, and am finally getting around to it. This is about some of the nitty-gritty unpleasant issues of bladder control and ways I have found of coping. I hope that someone finds it helpful. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a physician, I am just a guy that has been diagnosed for five years, and this is my experience.

To start, I am not on medication to control it, as I feel I only have moderate issues with it and am loath to take medication for anything at all unless it is absolutely necessary. I am not telling you that you shouldn't, and I may start a drug therapy for this at some point, I just haven't yet.

There are two basic problems I have encountered. The first is going involuntarily when I do not wish it, and the second is not being able to go when I do wish it.

The first issue I deal with by attempting careful control of my fluid intake. For instance, if I am about to leave for a public engagement, I don't prep for it by downing a large glass of water. Same goes for foods with a high liquid content. Be careful not to let yourself get dehydrated, just find a good balance and manage your timing. Also, if you are wondering if it would be a good idea to take a moment and urinate when you have the opportunity, the answer is always yes. If it crossed your mind, there's a reason for it.

Second, and what I feel is a more important issue, is being able to go when you want to, and the reason that I am posting this topic in this particular forum. It does no good to take a moment and attempt to empty your bladder if you get there and nothing happens. For me personally, I find I have much better success in emptying my bladder while standing up. Also, and this is where it gets odd, I find it works much better if my toes are pointed straight ahead, or even slightly in, with my shoulders back. Lastly, I find that my breathing patterns make a large difference. I breath in a square, slow counts of three: in, hold, out, hold, and repeat.

Again, I am not a doctor. I just hope that some of what I have learned through my own grief can help someone else avoid some of the same grief. I know this isn't the most glamorous topic but I figure sharing in anonymity may help avoid suffering in silence. Feel free to ask me questions.
Working...
X