Newbie that's all about positivity!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie that's all about positivity!!!

Greetings! I'm a 22 year old female...brand new to this world. I was diagnosed with MS a little less than a month ago. I've had health issues for the past 4 years, but they were unrelated to the MS. I had a diseased gall bladder that was making me sick...had it removed in April 2009. MS was just a nice little cherry on top of all this.

I just wanted to say that I have not cried once about having MS. I believe that I was chosen for a reason to have this disease. I always said growing up that I wanted to help people and I feel that this is my chance. Positivity is the best thing you can do for yourself. I can't sit here and lie though, I am scared and upset that this happened. The main reason being that I've been training to be a dancer since age 3. I didn't have a normal life growing up. I was always in the dance studio and traveling all over to have the best training possible. I wore tights and leotards more than jeans and shirts. The thought that there is something out there that could possible threaten everything I have worked for scares me...but I refuse to let this stop me. I will continue to dance.

It's been hard because my balance is very off (which is the main thing you need in dance) as well as the fatigue and numbness I experience, but the more tired I get the harder I work. I'm aware that this may not be the best thing for me, but I can't help it! I'm a hard worker!

So just remember, you aren't alone in this, you have a whole community to back you up. Positivity will take you very far...and I will end with some of my favorite quotes.

"It's not what happens to you that determines how far you will go in life, it is how you handle what happens to you"

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" (that's one of my favorites)

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength"

...and lastly my favoooorite. It is from a book I read. It's called The First Year- Multiple Sclerosis by Margaret Blackstone. It's an excellent book and I believe everyone should have it! Even if you have had MS for more than a year...Margaret's writing is amazing.

"We might refuse to join any club that would have us, however this club doesn't listen. This club doesn't take members. It drafts soldiers. It's up to use to rise to the occasion.

NEW TO MS

I BEEN DIAGNOSED FOR ABOUT 5 DAYS NOW. i HAVE CRIED ONLY ONCE. COUNTING TODAY. I HAVE DIZZINESS, NUMBNESS IN LIMBS AND TINGLING , COORDINATION SUCKS, AND MY VISION IS BAD. MY NEURO PRESCRIBED A CANE. i FEEL EMBARRASSED USING IT. PEOPLE STARE AND LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE PITY ON MY, INCLUDING MY HUSBAND OF WHOM I THINK IS ASHAMED THAT HIS YOUNG WIFE IS IN ON CANE. ALTHOUGH HE SAYS HE IS NOT, IT SHOWS ON HIS FACE. HE HAS FRIENDS WHO HAVE MS AND THEY TELL HIM TO TO TELL ME TO NOT TO RELY ON THE CAN AS MUCH FOR MOBILITY. I AM GOING TO RELY ON THE CANE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK. THEY DON'T' REALLY KNOW HOW I FEEL. i AM ANGRY AND FRUSTRATED AND SAD TODAY. i GUESS THE NUMBNESS IS WEARING OFF. I'LL PROBABLY CRY TOMORROW.

Comment

Hello Boof

Welcome to MS World!

Sounds like you are keeping positive, despite your diagnosis of MS a month ago. Having a good attitude does help.

But if someone needs to cry, that's OK too. Grief is a normal human response to loss, and usually the way to acceptance.

Good for you that you're working hard to keep dancing

Thanks for the uplifting quotes! Looking forward to seeing you around

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

hello to Cassandra

Hello Cassandra

Sorry that you are going through a tough time with MS symptoms.

Please don't feel embarassed using a cane. You have dizziness, vision problems, numbness, and your coordination is not good. Using a cane while these symptoms persist will help you to avoid falling. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I was hesitant to use a cane at first. But then I saw how much it helped me to walk better, and I got over embarassment real quick. Now I've moved on to a roller walker and it helps me get around even better.

It's OK for you to share your feelings here - your anger, frustration, and sadness. Many of us have either been there already, or are currently going through those same feelings. You're not alone here. We understand living with the daily challenges and the ups and downs of MS.

If you cry tomorrow, that's OK. Let us know how you're doing tomorrow. We'll try our best to help you get through this

PS If you want, you can even start your own thread

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome Boof and Cassandra

Boof, positive attitudes can help with any life challenges. We all can benefit from approaching life that way.

The great thing about the forum is that we can all share what is happening to us no matter what.

Cassandra, we have all shared what you are going through right now, so do not worry about sharing it with us. Come back often. We are here for you and all our MS Friends

I look forward to getting to know you both from your posts.

Good luck as you being your journey in the world of MS.

Comment

welcome to you both!!!!!!! look forward to hearing more from you. glad your hear, sorry too.

dave
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I am newly dx, about 3 wks ago. I was having such problems with walking and balance that I was using a cane before the dx. I am only 31 and I do get the stares from people. But like others have said so what. Thay will stare if I fall flat on my face to.

I use the four pronged cane it works a lot better than the standard one. I even decorated it. I definitly think keeping a positive attitude helps.

My motto is "Things could be better, but they could also be worse. So I take what I got and make the best of it."
              "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

WELCOME!

MSW is truly a great place to be!
                loved the quotes boof & earnelzwifey!
                how about this one
                "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass....
                it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
                or wobble in the rain as is my case.
                casandra, i hated the cane until my mom took me out to a craft stores & we found the perfect carved, pretty cane. it made all the difference in carrying one. i insisted i was too young to carry an old ladies (no offense anyone) metal cane. since then i've been given and even specially made for me many wonderful canes!
                i do suggest making sure it has a good curved handle for you & if at a store don't be shy about asking them to cut it down to size if it's a true 'crafter' he/she will be glad to do it for you oh & a rubber tip (can buy at store if not one on it)
                hope that helps.
                praying ya'll get thru these hard stages.
                hang in there & God bless ya!
                "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Working...
                X