Avonex and Air Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and Air Travel

Just returned from a flight and needed 2 weeks of pre-filled syringes for my vacation (in Canada). Called West Jet to tell them about my meds - the clerk was adamant that no frozen/gel pacs could be used - recommended frozen peas in a cooler (I told her I could not do that because of risk of freezing). Any way - logged on the MS alliance site and their instructions for packaging for air travel - as well as transport Canada. Followed the instructions - used the box with prescription, had a letter from the doctor.
    Have to say the cooler bag with 1 frozen gel pac and a number of cold gel pacs was pretty heavy in my carry-on luggage. Got to the airport in Wpg - it was very busy going through security - lots of outbound flights scheduled for early departure.
    Any way - told security I had the meds with gel pacs - they just looked briefly in the cooler - did not ask for the letter or check the box for the prescription. Then on the other side of the x-ray - the security went through my carry-on and was more concerned about the make-up & creams I had in a number of zip lock bags, rather than the single one they provide. (Had to load into the new bag - it all fit).
    So go figure......I was so stressed out about having all the things in place, and no one really cared. I think it would be much more different on international flights, and if it was not so busy - but going through Winnipeg Airport was pretty good.
    It was good practise for me, so now I am feeling a bit more confident about travelling with medications.

I'm so glad you made it through the screening process with no problems. I think the security folks are getting better training than they used to receive. Being prepared probably helped you too.

Hope you enjoyed the vacation.

Comment

travel for the disabled has always been a challenge and it has been great to see things improve gradually but very sadly the modern issue of terrorism raised its very ugly head and caused all these problems
      we also have a growing number of discount airlines who provide very cheap domestic fares but i have heard horrific stories about how little help they offer people with special needs. The really sad thing is that despite the stopping cutlery, knitting needles etc etc they really are only doing a very cursory type of check- a person really intent on doing harm to another could used just about anything as a weapon- you only have to talk to prison guards and staff from some foresic mental health facilities.

when they tightened up security at our local domestic airport i was going to see my brother off - we passed through the security check poing and i had a prosthetic leg and crutches- they insisted on my taking the leg of (its an above knee leg that has wasit and should harness so it is a complete strip off) they also pulled my crutches apart so they could check there was nothing in the hollow aluminium stems- i am told they have eased back alitte and i do not begrudge any attempts to keep us safe but it definately has added a layer of complexity- i have heard of may airlines refusing to allow clients to take their oxygen supply on board if they need continous o2 and they do not supply in flight so it means the person cannot go-

i under stnad them being sus about the person on equipment but surely the passenger should be able to arrange for the airline to supply the transit supply so the person can travel- imagine not being able to travel because they decide we can't tka the equipment we need- gee, i am in a crabby mood tonight! I don't expect an easy life, that would be boring i guess but everything seems to be so complicated since the disabilyt issues have increased- i used to be a spontaneous person and now everything has to be planned researched, planned, planned again AND an alternate plan also placed- no more spontainious (?sp?) "happings" i guess and that is something i really miss

Comment

it use to scare me, but...

i was always very afraid of being "caught" - but, having been through a number of airports in Canada, US and international, NO ONE has ever even looked at my meds.

I think they are more interested in the size of the tooth paste tube

Comment

I have found that the airports in the Third World are much easier with the screening. If you tell them it is Medication they pretty much don't even look at it. No restrictions on gels or liquids there.

The easiest way to do the screening is if you can stand and walk even a little is to do the Full Body Scan machine, avoids most pat downs. I still do them since I wear an upper body brace when traveling.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

This is very good to know. We are travelling next month to Florida and I have been a little concerned with how it's all going to go at the airport with my rebif. I already have a travel card filled out from my Neuro and will bring a box from the prescription with me. The Neuro's office said I shouldn't need a letter so I'm hoping for the best. I'm not too keen on traveling with this big Rebismart device which has to be kept upright. They should come out with a travel case for it or something. I'm just glad that I don't have to worry about refrigeration. Hope it all goes well.

Comment

Working...
            X