Oil of Oregano for fatigue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil of Oregano for fatigue?

Someone here (I can't remember who, sorry!) is taking oil of oregano for fatigue. Now, I've been taking acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid for fatigue for almost a year now with excellent results, but after reading about the nutritional benefits of oregano oil and how it can help with candida infections, I decided to try it. (I do have occasional "break-through" fatigue that even ALC and ALA can't alleviate - usually when I'm having a flare up of symptoms. I was hoping it would help with that.)

However, instead of helping with fatigue, it seems to have made it worse. Even with the ALC and ALA, I'm dragging around horribly since I started taking the oregano. I even cut down to just one per day instead of the recommended two, but that's not helping either.

Is this normal? Will it get better? I hate to not take it since I bought it, but this is bad. I have to be able to function, and that's minimal right now. I'd like to give it a few more days to see if there's some improvement, but don't know if I can take this bone-weary fatigue anymore.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

colloidal silver/oil of oregano

Hello,
    Was wondering if anyone here takes colloidal silver and if it helps? I have heard good things about oil of oregano and was considering getting that too. I am currently having active disease on my spine from the MS but lost my health insurance due to my hubby being laid off. Anyway, am working on getting back on medication through finding health insurance one way or another. Haven't been able to feel 3 of my fingers in my left hand since march. . . Dr. has prescribed Copaxone but I need to get insurance to pay for it.
    Anyway, sorry for the babbling. . . any input on the silver would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Oh Sparky, it was you! Sorry I forgot. My memory has been the pits lately.

The only thing that has been different, other than taking the oregano oil, is that it has been horrendously hot here for about two weeks with highs of 98/99 degrees! I try to stay inside where it is cool, but when I go to work at 5 p.m., I can't avoid it, and of course, in my black SUV, it's about 110 degrees and takes almost the whole trip to work to cool down. And for whatever reason, I'm not perspiring this summer, so I can't even get cooled down. It could very well be the heat that's making me so exhausted, I guess. But the fatigue seemed to start the very day I started taking the oregano. I will give it some more time though and see what happens. I know there are a lot of benefits to oregano, so I'd like to give it a chance.

Thanks and hugs,

Lisa

PS: If it doesn't work, I'd be happy to send you the two unopened bottles I just got from Puritan's Pride, if you'd like. I don't want them to go to waste.

(I thought I'd replied to this earlier, but my internet went off and I must have lost it.)
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Shashi, I know from spending several years on various MS boards that a substantial number of people with MS have stopped sweating. I'm one of them, sadly.

As I understand it, it's related to diminished ability to regulate one's own body temperature. MSers who exercise strenuously &/or are exposed to hot summer weather should be aware of the possibility, and should watch closely for signs of overheating.

Comment

Shashi,
          It could be due to it's sedative effect, so taking it just before bed would probably help.

Since you are using ALCAR and ALA, one other important supplement for energy metabolism would be Cinnamon. It has been reported that pro-inflammatory cytokine over-expression induce insulin resistance and that basically impairs the use of Glucose for energy, and Cinnamon has been reported to be quite helpful for diabetes people.

Ran

Comment

Hi Ran, I tried taking cinnamon capsules for awhile, but I started getting really bad gastric reflux after taking them, so I stopped. I'm not sure if the two were connected, but it seemed so at the time.

I've been doing more study on oregano, and it's amazing at how it acts as an antibiotic and can actually kill bacteria and fungi. I also saw that in cases of candida overgrowth from taking (other) antibiotics, oregano can kill the fungi, but can also cause fatigue to occur during the process. I've been suspecting that some of my problems might be due to candida ever since I took a long-term course of antibiotics a year or so ago. Maybe that is what is going on and what is causing the fatigue too. Guess I'll give it a little longer and see what happens.

Comment

Shashi, if you want to try taking cinnamon again, you might do better with cinnamon extract tablets rather than the cinnamon capsules. I got reflux with the capsules too, but since I switched to the tablets I've had no problem. The brand I use is Planetary Herbals.

Ran, you're right about cinnamon affecting glucose metabolism. I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, and I noticed a definite improvement in my blood glucose readings when I started taking cinnamon.

I also take ALA, and that lowers my blood glucose even more. I take the racemic form (R-ALA), which is much more bioactive than regular ALA.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try the tablets instead. I'll also look into the R-ALA, though I've had good success with just ALA.

Oh, and my brain has gotten so goofy that, even though I wrote it, every time I see this thread, I think it says, "Oil of Olay for Fatigue!" (I misread stuff all the time now, often with hilarious results! LOL!)

Comment

You're welcome!

For good information on the racemic form of ALA, Google "Linus Pauling Institute Alpha Lipoic Acid." That will take you to an article at the Oregon State University's website.

I take 200 mg. per day and get much better results than I did with 800 mg. of plain ALA. I've got my brother-in-law, who was having a lot of trouble controlling his Type 2 Diabetes even with insulin, taking R-ALA too and his blood glucose readings have been much better.

A word of caution, though. R-ALA is so effective that a diabetic who takes prescription meds to control blood glucose needs to watch carefully so s/he doesn't go too low.

Comment

Oil of oregano has strong anti-fungal properties. Perhaps your experiencing some die-off and this may be contributing to your fatigue.
                    Sweating: the smallest "mineral" your tissues will hang on to is sodium. When there are sufficient other minerals i.e., calcium and magnesium in the tissue the cells will release sodium and water will follow---sweating. To better sweat you need ionized calcium and magnesium.
                    NutritionTara
                    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X