Do you still BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you still BBQ?

I still BBQ, I don’t know if it is because it is a dry heat but my heat sensitivity does not get to me much when BBQing.
    Maybe it is the Corona in one hand that helps me keep my balance, but for what ever reason I love BBQing and most say I’m getting real good at it.
    Even did a beer can turkey for thanksgiving last year, and everyone loved it.

I have really gotten more into it last year, meanly thanks to Steven Raichlen’s BBQU and primal grill shows.
    Over the July 4th weekend I BBQ hamburgers, hotdogs, shrimp, spam, bell peppers and zucchini, and had fun doing it.
    Now I most confess I do use a gas grill, and makes things a lot easier.
    But by adding wood chips and charcoal to a smoke box in the grill the flavor comes close enough to pure charcoal grilling.

BBQ tip one: I must recommend to MS BBQers, to do all the prep work before you start grilling.
    Having all your equipment, seasonings, and food ready so you’re not making trips back to the house to get stuff makes it a lot more enjoyable.

BBQ tip two: for all BBQers, brine your chicken, turkey and pork chops for hours and be sure the rinse thoroughly before grilling, it will make them the moistest meat you ever had.
    In fact I now shy away from restaurant chicken because I find it dry in comparison.

P.S. Say I said I BBQed spam, spam, ham and ham steaks are great grilled, and some Bull’s-eye BBQ sauce makes a winning combo.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

ME TOO!

Hello Sir,

I still enjoy BBQ'ing, especially fresh veggies from the garden, squash, peppers, fennel, etc. I also use a gas BBQ grill as it is much easier to use and your right, using wood chips for smoke gives food a great flavor. This 4th my son-in-law did the BBQing as I am in Las Vegas right now and I stay inside as much as possible to stay out of the 100+ temps. I did make the cole slaw though with a head of cabbage that I brought from my garden. As you may have noticed, gardening is one of my hobbies. I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday or at least those that have this as an in leiu off holiday as I do, plus I am using 2 days vacation here in Vegas befor driving back up to NorCal!

Comment

hrmm, it seems i can't post links yet, so i'll just copy and paste some useful tidbits that i came across.

*****copied and pasted material removed as per our guidelines. You may post the URL in your profile*****

Comment

I bbq year round even though I live in NE. I love hamburgers and steak tips. My friend who is an ace at the grill did a beer can chicken last week. Good stuff. I use a gas grill also near my garage with tv in winter and on patio in summer. I agree that doing prep work up front and having supplies ready is a big help. Happy grilling all.

Steve

Comment

Did some killer terriyaki chicken recently.
          I found the secret with bbq chicken is par boilling prior to putting it on the grill. No one freaking about veins and no raw chicken or burned-crispy parts.
          For the boil I used a large pot and added a jug of terriyakki, a can of soda (cola or sprite works really well), a small can of crushed pineapple, a small choppped ginger root and some hot peppers. The other half was water. Heat the water to a mild simmer and add the chicken parts. For wings, drumsticks, and thighs figure on about 15-20 minutes in the water. For halfs or whole chickens, figure on a half hour to 45 mins.
          Then dump the birds on a med.-hot grill and turn frequently until the skin begins to brown. Add some terriyaki glaze during the last 5 minutes and then serve.

Comment

Working...
          X