another caregiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another caregiver

Hi, my dw has been diagnosed since 2001 - the same year I was offered an early retirement - - what a blessing that has been (as long as only the little things with the retirement package get "nibbled away" by the former employer).
    In a nutshell, my dw is pretty much bed-bound; no transferring, gets really tired/sore trying to sit in her p/chair for more than an hour, and one hand is pretty much numb/clumsy. I can see it ain't fun for her.
    I can pretty much do projects around the house and nearby community for diversion. Diversion is REALLY a good thing most days. Here's a couple: our church, W. P. Chrysler Museum (as in the car company) for my "day off", I get some buddies to do an MS Soc. fundraiser every year, I advocate for the MS Soc occasionally, I putter with old/cool cars, and - not nearly the least of these - a "Significant Others Support Group" of MS caregivers. This "SOSG" monthly meeting is a life/sanity saver for me; I now have somebody to call when the infrequent disaster strikes.

My advice that I would offer after 9ish years of helping deal with MS would be always respect your dear SO (significant other) and do find some occasional diversion/respite. Make the best of every situation, every day.

What would I like to know from other's experience? How do I continue respecting my dw/SO and finding a bit of a mental break occasionally if not frequently? ? ?

Sorry for the obvious confusion but that's what came to me that seems to sum up my world.
    bob

Hello Bob

Welcome to MS World!

You sound like a very wise person

You realize the importance of caring for and respecting your wife, and also taking care of and respecting yourself.

Thanks for your fundraising efforts!

Best wishes to you and your wife

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
    X