Zinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zinc

I only understand it a little, but it does seem important part of nerve and brain signal transduction.
    I’m guessing we need blood test to find out how much we need?
    I have been taking 50mg for a few months, but really have no clue as to what I should be taking.

Tara if you can enlighten us for the need for Zinc I would be grateful.

Here is a little highlight of info that I have found.
    Zinc & Multiple Sclerosis

MS patients are reported to have low levels of zinc which is a vital nutrient. It is also interesting that MS is more common in inland regions than in coastal areas where soils tend to be richer in zinc and fresh seafoods are eaten. Foods high in zinc include pumpkin seeds, lentils, chick peas, wholegrains, wheat germ, cheese, eggs, sunflower and sesame seeds.

From Wikipedia;
    In humans, zinc plays "ubiquitous biological roles". It interacts with "a wide range of organic ligands", and has roles in the metabolism of RNA and DNA, signal transduction, and gene expression. It also regulates apoptosis. A 2006 study estimated that about 10% of human proteins (2800) potentially bind zinc, in addition to hundreds which transport and traffic zinc; a similar in silico study in the plant Arabidopsis thaliana found 2367 zinc-related proteins.

In the brain, zinc is stored in specific synaptic vesicles by glutamatergic neurons and can "modulate brain excitability". It plays a key role in synaptic plasticity and so in learning. However it has been called "the brain's dark horse" since it also can be a neurotoxin, suggesting zinc homeostasis plays a critical role in normal functioning of the brain and central nervous system.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

The most accurate way to access zinc status is the oral zinc taste test. You can google it. Blood tests are not definitive. I use it frequently in my office.
    You take liquid zinc until you develop the objectionable taste in your mouth. The idea is the tissues are saturated once you reach that level, adequate stores.
    To indiscriminately take __?__so many mgs. per day is not recommended. I usually have patients perform the test; when? - depends on why their in my office. Long-term patients, every couple of years I may check them.
    NutritionTara
    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
    X