Embarrassing, but need to ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassing, but need to ask.

Since my diagnosis, I have revamped my entire diet. I am only eating lean meats (mostly fish and chicken) an tons of veggies and fruits. And all my starches are whole grain (brown rice, sprouted breads,etc.) I have also added in flaxseed oil, primrose oil, calcium and vitamin d.
    I have cut out most dairy, except for yogurt.

Anyway, I have noticed in the last two weeks a flatulence problem. It's rather embarrassing and I've tried some otc remedies to no avail.

I'm assuming the issue is because of the drastic change in diet, but do you think it's something that will resolve itself?

Or is there something I can try to ease the problem?
    Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Diet will change your bodies out put, I changed from drinking lot of 2% milk to rice milk and let me put this nicely. Milk most be a stool softer and deodorizer, I have no gas problems. But I do feel my body is adjusting, it is a little soon for me to know for sure. Hopefully yours will, in the mean time maybe try beano. It could help, I know some people it has.

And congratulation on having the willpower to change your diet, it is not easy to do.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Are you drinking lots of water? I've heard that if your body isn't used to a lot of fiber from the fruits and veggies it can cause gas, and drinking plenty of water is supposed to help.

Comment

I've been drinking lots of water. I havent tried the beano, but will be making a trip to the store tonight. I'm hoping my body will adjust soon to the change in diet. My family is too.....
        Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

Chewing your food very well might help too...at least 30 times per bite, until what's in your mouth is pretty well liquefied.

Thorough chewing ensures that the food is thoroughly mixed with saliva, which gets the digestion process underway before the food even hits your stomach.

Comment

I don't know how long it's been, but it does take time for your body to adjust. That said, I do have more gas than before, but less than after I stopped dairy and meat

I remember reading that "Meat Farts" were the worst, but I beg to differ. I suppose like thier animal counterparts grazing in the fields, vegetarians do fart more.

Comment

We care

Embarrassment not needed here- the majority of us have experienced too much.

Several thinks could cause this- to fast a change in diet, some vegetable create/cause more gas etc.

I suggest you look at the first page of links- you'll see Tara's Nutrition Notebook. She will have the most information.

Hope it helps.

Comment

?? are your stools floating?
                any other problems or just the gas?
                NutritionTara
                Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
                  ?? are your stools floating?
                  any other problems or just the gas?
                  I dont know what "floating" means. But I have noticed I am "going" more often and with a little more urgency. The gas has eased only slightly.

I've tried every OTC product I could find now, without much help.

I have been really good about sticking with my diet changes in hopes of regulating the situation.

Comment

I think she means floating, as in logs. As when you "drop a few friends off at the pool"

Comment

"floating" as in "buoyant"; which may be indicative of poor gallbladder function. Your GB is not effectively performing (releasing bile) to emulsify fats in the small intestines. This allows more undigested fat into the feces and when it come out it "floats" -- fat floats. This does not mean you are eating too much fat, its just not being properly/completely broken down. The most important supplement to improve GB function is the active form of B6: pyridoxal-5 phosphate. DO NOT do a liver/ GB stone flush.....quickest way to have an emergency situation and loose your GB.
                      And gas can frequently be an imbalance of bacteria in the bowels; more bad to good. You might try a multi-strained probiotic to start correcting the imbalance. Another important point: "good bacteria" like quality fat, "bad bacteria" like sugar. You have to feed the good guys

And like most posters said it may take time for your body to adjust. Kudos for doing the work to improve your health.
                      We do have control over what we put in our mouths. Isn't that what a lot of you desire? some control over something in this whole MS process?
                      NutritionTara

Comment

"floating" as in "buoyant"; which may be indicative of poor gallbladder function. Your GB may not be effectively performing; (releasing bile) to emulsify fats in the small intestines. This allows more undigested fat into the feces and when it come out it "floats" -- fat floats. This does not mean you are eating too much fat, its just not being properly/completely broken down. The most important supplement to improve GB function is the active form of B6: pyridoxal-5 phosphate. DO NOT do a liver/ GB stone flush.....quickest way to have an emergency situation and loose your GB.
                        And gas can frequently be an imbalance of bacteria in the bowels; more bad to good. You might try a multi-strained probiotic to start correcting the imbalance. Another important point: "good bacteria" like quality fat, "bad bacteria" like sugar. You have to feed the good guys

And like most posters said it may take your body time to adjust. Kudos for doing the work to improve your health.
                        We do have control over what we put in our mouths. Isn't that what a lot of you desire? Some control in this MS process.
                        NutritionTara

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
                          We do have control over what we put in our mouths. Isn't that what a lot of you desire? Some control in this MS process.
                          This is so true! Thank you for saying it so clearly, Tara.

Comment

Just FYI, I'm much less gaseous than before. Apparently, it does get better with time.

While we're on the subject, I've gone from going daily to every other day. There's just not as much bulk anymore.

Comment

Working...
                            X