New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here

I am new to this site. I don't generally post or join websites. I have finally caved in and joined here because, I really need to know that I am not the only person in the world going through this. I have been diagnosed fro a year after several miserable years of thinking that I just needed to take better care of myself. I have always subscribed to the "suck it up" philosophy.
    I have been married for 20 years and have 5 great children. I view myself as very blessed.
    My husband and children are the only ones that I have shared my diagnosis with. My employer has a general awareness that I have a "neurological disorder". I have not told my Mom or any of my siblings. I guess I kept thinking that it was a mistake and I didn't want them to worry. Now it has been so long and I am not sure how to tell them and I don't want them to fuss or worry. I live several 100 miles away from any of them so it is easy to keep quiet.
    I also keep it quiet because I don't want to hear "I know so and so with that and this is her situation" or "You don't look sick" or "that sounds like its all in your head".
    So I sit here wondering how to balance sounding like a whiner with making people aware of my changing situation.

welcome to the MadneSs...

Hi Katvar...Sorry you have to have MS too, but nice to meet you. So far I've found this website to be really helpful. Even the chats, where yes there's some MS info exchanged, but sometimes it's about other stuff too. =)

I have told others outside my immediate family about my dx (dx'd 5/4/10), and for most of their questions I still have to look at them and shrug and say "I have no idea." But...by having to explain, or look things up, I learn more about my own condition. So maybe it's not such a bad thing, when you're ready to share info.

Have a good day!
    D&C 121:7-8 ...peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment

Comment

Welcome to the board. I think what you are feeling is completely normal. I just got my diagnosis yesterday, but I've been in the process since January, so I'm pretty new to this. Luckily, my family and friends are very supportive. My family is close by and they know everything that is going on.

I can understand why you have doubts about telling your family, especially since they are so far away. It is your decision to make, but do you think they would be hurt if you don't tell them, and wonder why you didn't tell them ? Or, do you really think they will doubt the diagnosis for some reason ? Do you think you are still in denial somewhat, and that is why you aren't telling them ?

This is a decision that only you can make, and everyone here will support you whichever you choose. The questions I asked just to get you to think more about it. I think if you are asking the question, you do want to tell them, but you are afraid. And that is OK.

Would you have to tell them by phone ? Could you tell them in person and provide them with some of the materials from NMSS so they can understand better ?

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do. Everyone here is so helpful and supportive and I'm sure others will jump in with some more advice.

Comment

Welcome

Deciding to tell or not tell is a very personal decision. Due to your family living some distance from you I can see why you may not have wanted to tell them.

This is a great spot to come to share, learn and get support on the days you are at wits end.

Nice to meet you even though it was MS that has brought us together.

Comment

Hello Katvar

Welcome to the MS World Forums!

We're glad you made an exception, and joined us. I really think you'll benefit from the various experiences of others who have been living with MS.

There is alot of good information on this site. And we have some great, supportive folks here too

We can control who we disclose our MS situation to, and we can control how and what we say. Unfortunately, we have no control over how other people react, and what they choose to say. I know it took me a little while to get thicker skin, and learn that most people do mean well with what they say, even if it gets on our last nerve at times

You can always come here and let us know how your family and friends react, and how it made you feel. You are free to vent and get things off of your chest here, with no harm done

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
          X