Colonoscopy Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonoscopy Time

One of the "real fun" things for seniors are those colonscopy thingies. Well, folks, it's been 5 years so that means I have to have it again. So what are the perks?

Except for the obvious (the preparation), they really aren't too bad. The stuff you have to drink is much better today than the mixture I had to drink say 10 years ago. If you were not getting one ten years ago, just trust me on the previous preparation drinks. Has anyone ever told you they put vodka in their preparation drink? Like is that scary or what? Smashed and needing the bathroom quickly? Don't go there...

And you get to sleep the whole rest of the day-or at least I do. I also get to ask all kinds of stupid questions to my husband, fall asleep, ask the same questions again when I wake up because I never remember a thing. It must be the meds my GI doc uses.

They play terrific music in the GI lab-or they do at least for the 5 minutes that I am actually conscious before getting some joy juice. Is it bad that they are playing Abba's Dancing Queen???? Hmmm-well maybe if I was a man it would be bad...

Then there are the gowns. What kind of sadist designed them? They really never cover up anything and after all, what part of you is the subject of attention in the lab??? Why not just let you wear some really neat t-shirt. My GI doc could use it for advertising. It could have some real catchy phrase on the front of it. Any suggestions for that phrase? What about .... Get to the bottom of things at----
    and then have my doctor's name and clinic.

I think I will now go have a bowl of cereal. I only have 1 hour before I can't eat anything solid until after my test on Thursday.

lydialou

Lydialou, I thought that I had one more year before the colonoscopy but noooo, they made me do one a month ago because of other problems. I did find out that there is now the ability to use Miralax with gatorade, 64 ozs. One 8 oz. glass every 20 minutes over the 2 - 4 hour drink time. It taste so much better and is easier to get down and stay down. Of course, this is probably too late for you this time. I was not able to get on computer yesterday. I hope everything comes out in the end.
    "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Hey Coco!

Thanks for the alternative suggestion. But I just drank my first liter of lemon flavored goat spit. At 8, I drink the second and final liter.

I think I will go have a banana pop. I brushed my teeth but they still feel odd. Maybe the pop will help!

lydialou

Comment

I learned that goat spit goes down much better when served over ice and drunk through a straw.

Comment

Rats!!! I just finished my second liter of goat spit. Wish I had checked my nail first.

The goat spit is pretty powerful I am already clean as a whistle.

Lydialou

Comment

Done!

Yippee! I am done and polyp free. So that means this little procedure won't be repeated for years.

I was really dried out. Everytime they tried to start an IV, my vessel "blew" out (now doesn't that sound awful?). So after two sticks and two blown vessels, the nurse got someone else to give it a try. The second nurse had a blow out and switched arms and was able to start one. So my right arm has three gorgeous bruises now. My left arm has one.

Think I can get my husband to take me to dinner by whining about my arm bruises?

lydialou

Comment

Gee Lydialou,

You sure have a good attitude about this procedure - and a sense of humor

I know I need one - well, the procedure and a good attitude, that is. My Dr. wanted me to get one years ago, and I've chickened out each time. I just can't imagine having to run to the bathroom numerous times a day! I'm afraid that I wouldn't make it in time....I can hardly walk, much less run!

I envision going ahead and living in the bathroom for the day, camping out with my knitting and a good book, cell phone and "goat spit". How does one go about this? (making it to the room in time) Actually, I'm more afraid of this than the procedure itself!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Really Seasha the whole thing is not that bad. This was my fourth one, having had 2 partial flex sigmon-things for which they give you nothing (yes nothing) and 2 complete colonoscopies (today included). I had to use prep stuff for each of these four events. I must say that yesterday's prep stuff is better than the last prep stuff 5 years ago. If anyone says you need a flexible one, be aware that it is not your whole colon and it is a little uncomfortable. The GI doc that did those for me, turned the big screen so I could see it and explained all about colon health to me while he did it. He is now retired and I am happy to move to someone younger and who is a believer in joy juice.

The prep stuff is awkward because it's purpose is to make you clean as a whistle. So you spend quality time in the bathroom. I drank my first liter of goat spit at 4 and within a hour is had started its job. Lots of people just take a book and sit it out in the bathroom. I considered doing that but decided to watch tv between visits. It's kind of like when you have a stomach virus-you just deal with it knowing it won't last forever. I did have one accident-I admit it. I fell asleep and....well didn't make it exactly in time.

At 8 I drank the second liter of spit. I had put it in the frig so it could chill as the package suggested. I wish I had not. I preferred the lukewarm spit. By 8:30 I had nothing left but water in my GI tract. So the second part is not bad at all. You go but it's pretty tame.

I have a pretty decent GI tract because I mill my own grain, make my own bread and gets lots of fiber that way. I also eat lots of dark leafy veggies and I'm pretty regular. So my tract cleans out pretty easily.

As far as the actual test-don't worry. You won't remember a single thing after the first drop of joy juice gets in you. You won't remember what they tell you afterwards so make sure you have a good driver to listen for you. It's not messy and gross (since you have taken care of that at home) and you are not messy or gross when you get dressed afterwards.

And my sense of humor-it's pretty good most of the time. And you might as well laugh about what you are having done because it's not as though they have never seen anyone naked before. They do these all day long on colonoscopy days. My GI is in practice with two others and have their own lab in their own office with one of the big provider groups in our town.

I didn't let my husband go back with me because I do better alone and he does better not seeing me get stuck with needles. They talk with him afterward and he helped me get dressed (so I figure since when I got home my undies were not on backwards). :-)

So put on your "big girl panties" stick a smile on your face, laugh about the whole thing and go get yours done!!

lydialou

Comment

Lydialou -

Thanks for the rundown (no pun intended) and I promise I'll make an appt. - and try to keep your advise in finding humor...

Take care.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

colonoscopy

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy soon. I went to one about 5 years ago . It was incomplete because I started screaming Take It Out . I was in more pain than I can handle.

What is Goat Spit and what is Joy juice.
                    I know i have to do it , I would like it if it was less painful.

I live on an Island where No Dr's know anything about MS

Comment

Tropicals, why would you have had pain with your colonscopy? I have been given conscious sedation along with pain meds in I.V., I am not conscious though, each time. I go to sleep and I wake up really refreshed and ready to eat breakfast or lunch as the case may be. If your dr. is not putting you out, you should make sure they do that or maybe go to another dr. who does. There is no need for the pain.

Comment

Goat spit is what columnist Dave Barry called the Movi-Prep. Joy juice is that lovely drug that they give you through the IV.

I am sorry you had no sedation. I have heard about a few folks that were given no sedation due to insurance - financial situations although I can't imagine an insurance company with any sense requiring no sedation.

lydialou

Comment

Working...
                        X