Hunting for decent shoes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting for decent shoes...

Okay, apologies for a slightly weird post. MS question disguised as a fashion question!

I drag my feet slightly when I walk. I've had to replace/change most of my shoes in the months since I've been diagnosed - I was tearing my feet apart. I've had good luck finding sneakers, but I still can't find a decent pair of dress shoes (and yes, I'm female). Has anyone been able to find women's shoes that can handle the stresses of MS and don't look like they're made for 70 year olds?

I'm definitely what you would call a shoe "ho", and I'm in my early 50's now. I swear I've spent more money on shoes recently trying to find something I can walk in (I use an assistive device) AND stylish!! Zappos is my favorite site now, and my daughter has been the recipient of some really nice shoes since once I get them on they're too heavy for my feet.

I will NOT wear ugly shoes, so I get what you're saying here. Always on the hunt, Jazz
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Thanks for the website suggestion! If you're interested, I've had good luck with Columbia for sneakers. They're super-supportive and look pretty nice.

Comment

I have a pair of Columbia shoes, and a couple of pairs of Merrells. They are comfortable!

I love Lord and Taylor (department store), too. I just got a GREAT deal on Sandals/Flip flops by BCBG generation at L&T's website. They have really nice sales. Zappos has a ton of choices, but their shoes can be pricey. Good thing about them: FREE SHIPPING both ways!

I can honestly say that I have MS, it does have me, too, but it does not have my love of things I can't always afford. . I've had this stupid disease since I was 22 y.o. and reserve the right to show it that while it has taken so much from me physically it will NEVER take my fashion sense.
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Thanks so much for this post! I love high heels and I'm as girly as a girly girl can get lol lol. However I have been down because I can't stay in my heels for long :/ but I just have to purchase shoes with a shorter heel
          Nikki from NY-diagnosed at 24 on April 13, 2010
          I'm blessed and highly favored

Comment

OH THE SHOES!!!

i have a shoe fetish, i can now only wear flip- flops, so i know your dispair. i have tons of heels, wedges, flats, and sneakers that i can no longer wear. since dx my bp has gone sky high and im swollen even while seated or asleep so luckily i have limited feeling in my feet and i live in daytona bch, fl. i have a rainbow of flip- flops and they match all, i dont go anywhere i have to dress up or business like so im good but i miss my shoes. im so obsessed i look at them everyday and i try to wear my favorite heals atleast in my room. lol crazy i know!

Comment

I don't know if they're good for MS, but my podiatrist recommended dansko and naot to me - both really supportive beds and arches. Again, not sure about for the foot drag...I use them mostly because of need for arch support/start of plantar fasciatis (sp?). Dasnsko clogs might feel a little heavy, though....good luck, I feel your pain in wanting cute shoes for what feel like old lady feet

Comment

Vivo Barefoot

I know they're not high heals and not what you're looking for but for a day to day shoe to wear i recommend the Evo by terra plana. It is as if you're barefoot so give you better overal control.
                Tony

Comment

Have you considered looking into dance shoes? Shoes that ballroom and jazz dancers wear are made to look stylish, but are extremely supportive and durable, because they have to be. I think on average a pair of my 1 inch heel jazz shoes lasted for over a year, despite my wearing them everyday for several hours while practicing. They are a bit expensive (around $100 a pair) but like I said they are made to last and are ultra supportive. My brand of choice is Capezio. If you go to their website check out their Social Dance or Theatrical sections, they will probably be your best bet.

Comment

Ooh, I wore dance shoes at my wedding and never thought about them now. Great idea! I'm going to second Naots. I *adore* them. I can walk for hours without getting sore, and they hold up for years. Highly recommended. I'm not sure how the sole would hold up to scuffing if it drags, but I bet the company could fill you in -- my guess is they'd still do pretty well.

Comment

This is a great post

I'm way behind, but I love this post

I basically live in Chucks and Birkenstocks, but have had good luck finding some dressier shoes by Camper.

They're definitely not Manolos, but they'll do.
                      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Thanks for this interesting information!

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
                          Okay, apologies for a slightly weird post. MS question disguised as a fashion question!

I drag my feet slightly when I walk. I've had to replace/change most of my shoes in the months since I've been diagnosed - I was tearing my feet apart. I've had good luck finding sneakers, but I still can't find a decent pair of dress shoes (and yes, I'm female). Has anyone been able to find women's shoes that can handle the stresses of MS and don't look like they're made for 70 year olds?

Aware this is an old thread but some may enjoy the footwear .... available at this site, may have been referenced here @ MSW ? Anyhow....

Don't remember dress shoes but, take a look at a unique approach to footwear.

https://billyfootwear.com/pages/about-us

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Aware this is an old thread but some may enjoy the footwear .... available at this site, may have been referenced here @ MSW ? Anyhow....

Don't remember dress shoes but, take a look at a unique approach to footwear.

https://billyfootwear.com/pages/about-us

Just a note to say i ordered a pair from Billy. They are well made and should haveed worked out but didn't.

With right arm / hand, along with right leg / foot very weak, I didn't have the strength to close zipper with an orthotic in right shoe. Maybe the right shoe could have been larger, but that would mean another pair and the zipper problem remaining.

Comment

Hello everyone! On the subject of shoes I wanted to share my experience with my new favorite shoes, the Hoka Bondi 7. I have foot drop (left) and use a Saebo foot drop brace and also have metatarsalgia and plantar fasciitis so walking long distances was something I typically did not do with other shoes. I just came back from a week at Disney World and spending some quality time with my wife, daughter and granddaughter. During 5 days at the parks we walked over 40 miles and my feet felt really good! The shoes feel like you are walking with a memory foam pillow on your feet. They are a little taller than other shoes so it took a few days after I bought them to get used to them and I walked around in them for a couple weeks before the trip to get used to them. Given my left side weakness and balance issues
                              i was concerned about this trip and I did have one misstep where I fell to the ground. Disney staff were there instantly to check on me but fortunately I was not hurt as I've learned how to fall! Hoka shoes are not cheap, and I will wear out the left one well before the right, but for the comfort they provide they were well worth it to me. YMMV!

Comment

Working...
                              X