LTD and out of state relocation??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTD and out of state relocation??

Hello everyone, I sure hope someone can help me with some answers on this issue.

I am on LTD and SSD. I receive LTD through my employer, which is just supplemental to my SS, and is really a pitance, however I am allowed to keep my healthcare which is most important.

I have been faced with a real issue. My live in boyfriend is the person who provides EVERYTHING for me. A roof over my head, financial stability etc. He lost his job and has had a terrible time finding work in this economy. He is considering relocating out of state to a place where my company does not practice. I am not working, but I would obviously have to follow him wherever he went, or i would be homeless. Plus, we do plan on getting married once the seas calm.

Has anyone faced this issue before? Will I lose my LTD coverage if I have to leave the state? I am clueless on this, and I do not trust the insurance company by asking them. ( I am still in the fight with the company for approval for LTD, but they are paying for me while they are making their final decision, going on 2 years )

If anyone has any information, I would be forever grateful. I am terribly worried over this

LTD

I am so glad to hear you got your LTD, I went out of work in Feb. and was denied my STD through MetLife. I don't have an answer for you but was happy to hear that someone with our disability could get LTD. I have had 2 neuros tell me not to work and was still denied. It's discouraging to not get it, especially after working for someone for almost 11 years. I hope someone can answer your questions for you.

Comment

Considering relocation

I am considering moving to another state. I too am concerned about the effect that this may have on my LTD payments.

Yeaokaybye - Were you able to relocate? Did you have issues with your LTD?

Thanks

Comment

I moved out of state and out of the country and back no problem, I have both LTD and SSDI. Read your LTD contract to make sure, SSDI is no problem.

Before you move make sure you have a doctor in place who is willing to fill out disability updates. The insurance companies are in the business to make money and if they get a chance to dump you they will so just get everything worked out before you move and you should be okay. It is easier to tell them you have moved when you have actually physically moved.

However, I would not move until the insurance company has made their final decision particularly if you have good doctors/lawyers where you live. Of course, not a problem if you already have good connections where you will be moving to.

Comment

The thing to keep in mind is that most LTD policies have a clause stating you are considered disabled for the first two years if you can't work your own occupation. After two years you are considered disabled if you can't work any occupation.
          It doesn't really matter if you cannot work any occupation. Most LTD policy providers stop paying you after two years regardless of your condition. They do this because ERISA the law governing employee benefits protects them from ever being sued for damages.
          So, it is much more profitable for them to deny everybody. Then if you can successfully find a lawyer, take them to court AND prevail all they are going to have to pay you is what they owed you anyway.
          If you only get a small amount of LTD because of the social security offset you won't have any luck finding a lawyer to take your case. Lawyers take cases where fairly large sums of money are involved and typically charge 30 to 40% of your LTD earnings if they win.
          So, bottom line, if your two years is coming up, you will most likely be dropped anyway. If it's close, just wait until you get your denial letter and then move.

Comment

Thanks

There and Dstreet57,

Thanks for your replies. I think I will stay where I am for right now.

Comment

Working...
            X