Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using a good device for opening jars, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for Oxo jar opener with weak hand/wrists:
    hold it so the triangle/big end faces your chest, handle in hand. Hold jar/bottle closer to your chest with your other hand. Your arm strength and dexterity will make it a lot easier to use if your hand or wrist is painful/weak (tip from my OT who said it can be used in either direction). Hope this made sense!

My oether tip: have husband/kid open all jars and bottles when you first bring them in th house (like when unloading groceries). I find that first time it is opened/popped is the hardest. After DH opens it, I put the tops back on and they are not screwed back on super tight - thus I can open them in the future by myself
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

Hello Jprinz

Thank you for the helpful tip. Your explanation does make sense. I will try that - holding the opener with the wide end facing my body and holding the jar closer to my body with the other hand.

Unfortunately, your second tip won't work - I have no husband and no kids But if I did, that would be an excellent idea

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

no husband? Heck, some days I would be willing to give mine away LOL

joking aside: ask a friend to come over and have supper - then put her to work opening stuff. Just think, you could get your tops opened and have an enjoyable evening with a friend or two. When she says what can I do to help - tell her to open stuff
        Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

Never tried the Oxox one, but I have a Pampered Chef jar opener I cannot live without, works on all size jars...Not cheap but well worth it. I cannot use the waffle things, still not enough strength in my hand, with the opener it seems that I am using more arm strength. We go to the county fair every year and have tons of waffle things. Also Rebif sent me a little one for pop bottles and for the pull tab cans.....great gadget. Kathy i like your idea for wine coolers, and Hunter the Rebif one works just fine on my beer cans.

JudySz

Comment

Here's another jar opener

Lee Valley makes a jar opener that can best be described as a very wide bottle opener. It doesn't need batteries or a plug.

Use Google to search for

Lee Valley Jar Opener

It will be the first item on the list.

We have one of these and have given them to friends and family - they work great.

LV ships to both the US and Canada, they sell tools and supplys for wood workers, gardeners and kitchens.

Comment

Hello

Thanks Judy for the pampered chef jar opener idea -I need to research it on line and see what it's like

GardeningMSer, I looked at the Lee Valley Jar Opener on line as you suggested. Very interesting. That opener is not about figuring out how to unscrew the cap, it's all about releasing the pressure/vacuum. Once that is done, the unscrewing of the jar lid is supposed to be easy.

I'm wondering if any of our stores would carry those. I like that concept - at least it appears easy Thanks!

Take care,
              KoKo
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
              X