Random Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Question

Does anyone use medical dogs (I'm sure there's another name for them) for their MS?

[insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Hi ShakespeareMama

We do have a few members that talked about getting service dogs. If I can find the threads, I'll come back and post them for you.

Are you interested in one?

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

ShakespeareMama

There are several threads about service dogs.

If you go to the top right of the page, under the Page numbers and click Search this Forum and type: service dogs.

Hope this helps

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks, Koko!

I haven't seriously considered one for myself, just yet. I had seen a young woman at my doc's office a few weeks ago and it made me think about whether they would benefit MSers.

I mean, heck, if a dog could help me with balance, I'd surely pick one over a cane. I'm just not sure if that's the sort of thing they do. I'd be so afraid of crushing it. Haha

I'll google this, as well, but I'd sure like to hear some personal stories, too.

Comment

Service dogs! THAT'S the term I was looking for! Thanks a lot, Koko!

Comment

Hi ShakespeareMama,
            I've had a labrador retriever, privately trained not through an agency, for 4 months and she is a huge help, security, and a fabulous companion.

I have an automatic door and she answers the door with me, or for me if I'm expecting someone. At the store she can hand a credit card to the cashier and carry up to 10 pounds home for me.

She opens cupboards, drawers and fridge, brings the phone, picks up things I drop, can turn on and off light switches. (And press elevator buttons.) She's in continuous training, learning is fun for her. She's presently learning to drop things in the garbage can. She'll soon be able to pull my chair a short distance if I need sudden help.

Since she came to live with me, I get out far more. She is so well behaved, I can walk her with my power chair and practically no strength in my hands. She attracts attention and I have far more contact with people now.

Are you thinking of getting a svc dog? In case you can't tell I highly recommend it.
            Laurakim

Comment

I remember reading in one of the MS magazines i get that dogs are also great for if you get tired (fatigued) too. They sense that you are tired and will nudge you to a chair or bed or couch...whatever...and will "make" you sit! I laughed at first, but then realized how important that would be. I have a little Papillon and I'm not as disabled as others, but if it comes to that, I would get a service dog as well.

Laurakim...that is awesome that your dog does all that for you! What a great help! Do you know the cost difference between angency and privately trained? I'm just curious. I don't "want" to plan ahead, but I know I *should*. Thanks!
              Rebif since June 20, 2007
              A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.--Phyllis Diller

Comment

Hi Chelzer,
                I'm afraid I can't help answer cost difference questions. The woman I got my dog from is the breeder and a trainer. And a friend. My dog lived with her for 2 years so came to me already trained. She is working with me to further her training. Once a dog knows certain things, they're easy to continue training.

My dog doesn't warn me of overtiring myself but she gets very agitated when a lot of people are around me. Had people bring me shower chairs to try out and she ran back and forth and kept nudging me. Even followed me into the shower when they rolled me in I think she was trying to tell me there was too much going on, get out of the situation. No one taught her that, she does it on her own.

Now my roomie and I must go to the duck pond, her favourite place. Amazing for a bird dog to sit quietly and watch ducks landing and taking off!

Enjoy your day. Laurakim

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I had no idea that dogs could do that much! They're like super heroes!

I did look up some past threads and got a lot of info from those. There were website names of a few places that you could apply for and get your animal friend and training for free!

I can't remember the names of the sites, off hand, but if you search under "service dogs" per Koko, you'll really find a wealth of information.

I also looked up service dogs and MS on youtube and found lots of helpful videos, as well.

After all this research, I believe I will most definitely get a service dog if my body decides I need one.

Hooray for puppies!

Comment

Service dogs

I have a service dog which came from an organization that I volunteer with. I have had him (standard poodle) for about 5 months. He helps with my fatigue and mobility issues. I wish I had more time to spend continuing his training but due to my family situation and fatigue, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day very often. This will change soon, when the weather cools down and I am not as tired.

Specifically, he is a big help carrying things in a small pack on his back. This is a help with my fatigue. He also helps stabilize me when I am unsteady walking and braces to help me get up and down easier. He learns so quickly and is so eager to learn that I am always amazed! He was raised by his trainer (who has MS, and is in a wheelchair) and was placed with me when he was 1-1/2 years old. The organization that placed him with me does not usually train dogs to place with MS patients. They specialize in placing service dogs with war veterans. I have heard excellent things about CCI, and they place service dogs with MS patients (plus other kinds of disabilities). I would highly recommend a service dog if you have the time and patience to care for it (I have to run him on our treadmill since I am unable to walk him).

Sorry this is so long... maybe more details than necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X