Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Schools

Just wanted to share ...

I started teaching in 2001. When I first began, I had a 60% contract and worked in two schools. The next year, I had a 100% contract and worked in two schools. In 2003, I had the opportunity to begin working in a wonderful middle school (still traveling, but the middle school was my "home school"). For the past two years, I have been full time in that middle school.

Next year, I will be teaching in a different building. The numbers in our district are fluctuating, so I thought I would have to travel, but I am completely leaving my home school. It is tough, as the principal and all of the staff have been so wonderful helping with any MS-related issues; the support has been wonderful.

I'm nervous about next year. As I pack my things (ALL of my things- goodness, I've accumulated a ton of stuff), I just feel ... drained? depressed? I hope the move goes well and everything works out next year, but it is going to be really hard saying goodbye to a wonderful group of people.

Thanks for reading ... just needed to write.

Moving is taxing...

I've moved around a lot within our school district ... have taught special ed., elementary ed., and middle school ... all subjects, all grades, and have changed buildings five times in less than thirty years ... and within those five buildings, I have probably been in at least five rooms in each, usually staying only two to three years in a room before building needs call for a move.

I always make friends first with the custodians, and keep them well supplied with chocolate and cold water as they work through the summer heat while I'm moving in and out of places. I have my own moving staff (husband, and for a while son, now grown and busy) and we bring our own two wheeler moving truck, and we are good at choosing medium rather than large boxes to pack with things ... too heavy, otherwise ...

I keep my ever changing room assignments familiar by hanging seasonal quilts on a wall through the year ... a touch of home, wherever I land.

I have always been fortunate in landing on my feet, so far. Hoping not to make any more leaps before retiring in three years ... no long so sure footed. And I have recently begun having nightmares of not being able to find my room in the morning...

Enjoy the adventure, wherever you go. Make happy memories along the way, at each stop.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Teaching for 17 years. Last year I was at two schools and dx at beginning of year. My headaches are starting to come back to me(not wanted). I can't teach a class with 40 kids in it, my schools I support special ed students so I can leave the class whenever I need to. I hope they put me back to one school so I can be consistent for students and teachers, every other day stinks. Thinking gives me a headache, couldn't be in charge of 40 students, I have a hard enough time for myself.

Comment

Wow chalknpens- five different schools and even more classrooms! It sounds like you have a great support team. My DH and friends helped me bring my things over to my new school (over 30 boxes + files galore, even after clearing out old stuff). Having their help made it a lot easier. I will unpack later this summer when I know what classroom(s) I will be in.

Thank you for sharing your experience- knowing others have gone through it makes it seem easier somehow.

Comment

Good news!

Hey teachers! I stopped by my new school and saw my new classroom. The principal had thought about putting me in two rooms on different floors, so I was pretty nervous to get my key(s). When I only got one key, I was so excited. My new room is actually a GIGANTIC science lab, with sinks and lab stations- which will be great for food days/displaying projects/etc. I also have my own storage closet!

Just wanted to share the good news.

Comment

Working...
          X