X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Stephen King

Yup, love his books, movies as well. The Stand was a great

book & movie. Anyone notice that the characters in The

Stand- movie were just like you pictured them?

Dean Koontz is good as well.

hugs, angel
    livelover

Comment

READING

I LOVE TO READ. I BOUGHT THE BARNES AND NOBLES LAST YEAR AND I LOVE IT. I HAVE NOT READ MS BOOKS ON IT BECAUSE I LOVE HAVING THE BOOKS SO OTHERS CAN READ THEM. I HAVE NOT READ STEPHEN KING BUT I HEARD THAT HE IS GOOD AT WHAT HE DOES.

Comment

Stephen King fan

I absolutly love Stephen King's work. My all time favorite was and is The Stand. I've read and reread that book so many times. Every couple of years I find myself picking it up again. This past year I was again re-reading and I've come to the conclusion I need to get another paper back copy. My present one is so dog eared it's sad. .
        Live, Love, Laugh

Lisa

Comment

I love Horror novels!!

King is by far my favorite. I am currently reading The Stand. It is soooo good. I can't put it down. My favs so far is The Shining and Duma Key. I watched the Shining and was so disappointed!!
          The book was so much better. I also love Koontz, Ann Rice and John Saul.
          About once a month I pick up a classic at the library also to mix up my genres. I recently read Dracula by Bram Stoker. It was awesome!!

Comment

New Book!

Stephen King has a new novel coming out in November. Title is 11-22-63. Can't wait!!! The main character travels back in time to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination.

Teresa

Comment

My family had this really odd relationship with him.
              My brother worked him on workstudy before he got big and was teaching at UMaine.
              I was on a summer softball team at UMaine and his first college roomate was our manager. Later, I lived about a block from the "bat mansion" in Bangor and I was always running into him or Tabitha at the IGA. He's a cool dude to talk to, as long as you don't mention books. Dude lives and dies by the Red Sox and classic rock.
              The capper was when my mom got stuck with jury duty on a federal case. Guess who else was on the jury?
              When the trial was over, she went up to him and asked for a couple of autographs. He was hesitant until she explained that they were for my brother and I and how we already knew him. He signed the autographs, laughing the whole time.

Comment

count me in as a Constant Reader!

I love Stephen King.

My favorite book: Dolores Claiborne.

Scariest book: Bag of Bones

Book that changed my life: On Writing

The Stand is great. Another lesser known book that I loved:
                The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

For some reason this msg shows me logged in under my facebook identity, but really I am LindaT5761

Comment

King's On Writing

I read Stephen King's early books when I was in my thirties... loved them! In my forties his stories became a bit more graphic, and I a bit more squeamish. I haven't read one since IT and I couldn't finish that one.

But I do have his book On Writing, and found it very enjoyable and helpful to me. He is certainly a talented writer ... I wish my own anxiety didn't interrupt my enjoyment of his work. But it has.

Are his new books frightening to any of you?
                  First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
                  Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

His Nightmares and Dreamscapes was the first novel-length book I've read and I can just rattle off the twenty-odd stories in the book by heart (not word for word, mind,) just by hearing the titles. I've also read the Tommyknockers, Skeleton Crew, Desperation, and many others. I'd really like to get hold of his first published novel, Carrie, but I've never seen it in my life. :'( Hope I can really see that one time.

Comment

I love to read, and he's one of my fiction guilty pleasures (I tend toward real crime, non-fiction). Two of my favorite Stephen King novels are Salems Lot and Misery. I also LOVE The Shawshank Redemption!
                      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I've read a ton by King. Overall i like his stuff, but he can be hit or miss. My favorites are

-Bag of Bones
                        -The Long Walk (I honestly think about this book all the time)
                        -Dark Tower Series (helps to have read a lot of other King books...lots of cross references and characters)
                        -The Green Mile (read separately as the original mini-novels)
                        -Under The Dome

Comment

Stephen King fan, here...

Although I'm not reading him now, I do like his writing.
                          Dean Koontz writing is a bit similar.
                          The Stand is my fav, along withNeedful Things, many, many
                          more. Just read Mile 81.
                          Lately been reading Patterson, Roberts, Cornwell & Grishim.
                          Anyone reading the Scarpetta series? Read "Red Mist" by
                          her(good one).
                          angel
                          livelover

Comment

Read Every Sk Book and Loved em all!!

Glad that it's not just me :-)
                            I started reading SK 20plus years ago and have read them all.
                            My faves? Difficult question. I love several for very different reasons
                            Bag of Bones - Fantasic story
                            Duma Quay - Touched me on so many levels
                            Carrie - First one i read
                            Geralds Game - the scariest!
                            The Stand - Epic
                            Insomnia - Most unusual
                            The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon - One character story at its best.
                            Salem's Lot - First to Scare me stupid
                            All the compilations, Skeleton Key, Just After Sunset, Four after Midnight (Very varied and Scary!), etc
                            Loved Everythings Eventual especially the title story and Lunch at the Gotham Cafe.
                            Waited patiently for 11.22.63 and was not disappointed.
                            Have any of you checked out his sons book Heart in a Box by Joseph Hillstrom King - Write as Joe Hill? Fantastic storytelling like dad.
                            I Luuuuuurve SK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Didn't know his son wrote. May try to check it out. Not reading has been one of my deficits.
                              I did read his wife's books.
                              I never read the Dark Tower series but most everything else I have.
                              The Green Mile and Misery were the best movies ever made from his books. They deviated too much on some.

Comment

I did not know that Joe Hill is King's son! Now I've got to read Heart in a Box, which I've had sitting around here.

As a writer, I admire Stephen King's incredible imagination and work ethic. (Pretty much every writer is lazy next to him.) Last year I read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and I'll tell you what, to get an entire novel out of (SPOILER ALERT-SPOILER ALERT) a person lost in the forest with no one else to talk to, is pretty amazing. On Writing is also an interesting read for fans and writers alike.

Did you see his essay this week in The Daily Beast? "Tax Me, for F@%&'s Sake!" http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-f-s-sake.html

Comment

Working...
                                X