No announcement yet.

Any Stephen King fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Stephen King, but his writing has changed a great deal since the beginning. I don't know what happened to him, but you just know now when he writes that jesus is going to come and save everybody. He was more irreverent in his early stuff. I actually thought he might have been an atheist. When I read Salem's Lot, there was a really freaky scene in it where this vampire punked out this priest, broke his cross and branded him on the forehead. The new Stephen King would never write something like that. These days he just seems to go for the gross out. Actually now that I think about it, the new Stephen King went back and tried to write in some kind of redemption for that priest in a later book, lol.

My faves are : The Tommyknockers, (that was the alien book somebody was talking about), and the first three books of the gunslinger series.

I also think that Insomnia was a partially finished book that he pulled out of a drawer or something. It started out creepy like the old Stephen and ended up sucky like the new Stephen.

Joe Hill is also awesome. If you've never read Horns, check it out! It has the best opening scene I have read in a long time.
    You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Originally posted by alishape View Post
      I love Stephen King, but his writing has changed a great deal since the beginning.
      That's an interesting point you make - also the sign that you are a real King fan. How many of us have read enough books by an author to be able to trace the arc of an entire career? I might be able to say that about Kurt Vonnegut or Mark Twain, maybe.

I guess they're just like us, changing over the years.

Comment

The arc of a career

You know, that is interesting. I can say that about many authors because I read a lot. When I find one I like I tend to start reading all of their books, usually chronologically. I have followed Stephen King and Dean Koontz in real time though. King has gotten god in the machine syndrome and Koontz has fallen in love with dogs for some reason.

It's odd how as authors change long standing series change too. The game of thrones series looks like it's going to end up being about banking, taxes, and religion - certainly not the concerns of a younger man!
        You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Originally posted by Abe Munder the Wheeled Wonder View Post
          That's an interesting point you make - also the sign that you are a real King fan. How many of us have read enough books by an author to be able to trace the arc of an entire career? I might be able to say that about Kurt Vonnegut or Mark Twain, maybe.

I guess they're just like us, changing over the years.
          Many years ago, he was out hiking along a back road and a drunk clipped him with a car. It really messed him up and he went medieval on getting the guy prosecuted.
          It wound up being a long trial and the guy eventually committed suicide. Its hard to tell how that hit SK -it was like he really wanted an eye for an eye but not for the guy to kill himself- but it did kind of change his style (he was also on painkillers for quite a while).

Comment

11/22/63:A Novel

That is what I am reading now, and I love it. I am an old Stephen King fan, but this one is very different. It is about the JFK assassination-as only King could do. It is the first one I am reading on my new Kindle! I highly recommend it - both King's book AND the Kindle!

Comment

Oooo, old post but SK never goes bad.

I also have a collection as he is one of, if not, my favorite author. His writing style has changed, especially if you start back with the Bachman books. He talks a bit about it in his On Writing book. I know the car clipping him changed his life. I think he has formally retired three or four times since then, but the books keep coming.

Let's see... I love:
              -Under The Dome
              -The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (odd by SK standards, almost introspective)
              -Geralds Game (though I wouldn't think you would want to read it if you are at all into BDSM)
              - Bag Of Bones (they did a good job with the movie to)
              - Insomnia and The Stand are my absolute favorites

I also really liked how the Darktower Series started. It lost me along the way as the books were so spaced out.

Gosh there are so many. The Dark Half is my favorite early one and he himself said that that book explains a lot about him, especially in his early "influenced" self. I' m still waiting for the Tornado to pull up in my driveway.

The Dreamcatcher was WAY better in book form than movie.

Cell... good but way too close to the "Zombie bandwagon" for me.

I loved every book he joined with Peter Straub on.

I could keep going but I'll stop.
              Maybe it will get the thread moving again. lol

Comment

I just finished reading The Long Walk. Very good.
                Take care,
                swingingwillow
                Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

Comment

I have spent a lot of time and money and have every mass published book in hard back when possible.
                  There are some early works that were not published widely that I was never able to find.
                  I have collected magazines he has published in and collections and stories on him.
                  We were tasked to write an analysis of an author in college english.
                  I approached the teacher with intention of doing a paper on Stephen King.
                  I walked away being told that she had no problem failing me.

His early stuff is intense and in your face, from his drug use perhaps?
                  His newer stuff is more emotional but still intense without being in your face, from his accident and struggle back to health?

I like both, I cringe at the thought of getting pinned in a car by a rabid dog and I am still looking for floating doors and you never know when a force field is going to cut you off form the rest of the world!

One thing I have never been a fan of are his adaptations.
                  The Stand did an alright job, and Shawshank redemtption was great, Green Mile was good in its own way, but most have fallen flat.
                  1995-symptoms with no cause
                  2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                  2000/1-started Avonex
                  2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                  Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

S K fan

Celms,
                    I read Stephen King also; as well as other authors.
                    Before the book I am now into (Sweet Dreams by Patterson) I read a
                    sample of King's Under the Dome but I'll have to wait on that one.
                    Have you read any of his books?
                    There is much to read!
                    livelover

Comment

@Alyms probably Dreamcatcher

I read for entertainment not to memorize too

Need to get Dr. Sleep since I personally found the shinning the scariest book, the spooky hotel, the shrubs coming to life.

You do usually know how his book will turn out in the end, I like where he leaves it somewhat open for you to interpret the finale.
                      1995-symptoms with no cause
                      2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                      2000/1-started Avonex
                      2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                      Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

S King

I'm currently reading Dr Sleep by S. King. Am waiting for delivery
                        of Patricia Cornwell's Dust in my kindle.
                        livelover

Comment

Working...
                        X