My service dog training log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My service dog training log

Well folks, I arrived at CCI(Canine Companions for Independence) yesterday for my training and in 12 days I should leave with my new service dog.

Thats cool! Sounds like fun!
    Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

That's so exciting! Those animals are amazing! Have you met the dog yet?

Comment

How awesome !!! Congratulations.

Comment

1st Day of training

Well, I just completed my first day of training. They taught us the first basic commands, sit & down, and taught us how get the dogs to do what we want them to do. It was pretty basic today but they said it would get more intense as the week wore on. We got to meet the 14 dogs that were allotted for our class.

There are 11 people including me who hopefully will get service dogs.There is a wide variety of disabilities so it is very interesting to see how everyone deals with their issues. They will assign us each a dog on Thursday. CCI says it takes that long to match a dog to each person. They take the dogs personality & try to match to what each person needs. Some people need more full time hands on help from the dogs and some need more of a companion that can help out when needed. It is extremely interesting to see what the instructors are looking at from each dog as well as from each person.

I still cannot believe that this entire process is free. I am looking forward to tomorrow and will report what goes on.

Comment

Very exciting! Please keep us informed about how this is all going. Can't wait to see what breed dog you get matched with.

Comment

HOW DID YOU FIND OUT QUALIFICATIONS FOR SERVICE DOG? I DIDN'T KNOW THEY WERE AVAILABLE FOR MSERS. WOLD LOVE TO KNOW MORE.

Comment

Service dog ... how did it work out?

I hear CCI is a WONDERFUL organization. I hope everything worked out and you were able to find a dog to help you.

I use a service dog with my MS (standard poodle). He is amazing and helps me with fatigue/mobility related issues. He is still young (under 2 years old) and we have been working together only 5 months.

Hope to hear more about your service dog experience...

Comment

Working...
                X