Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does a lowfat, dairy & meat free diet help my ms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an article from the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. You can jump around or to the bottom for a summary. They go into some detail about how diet may help and what the studies say.

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v.../1602255a.html

Comment

Don't know about swank....

I have followed the swank diet for about 10 years. Sometimes I fell off the wagon, lol. I just went to an 'integrative' physician, who treats lots of MS patients with some traditional and some holistic treatments. Anyways, my blood fatty acid levels were extremely low.
      The way he explained it to me, is that your brain is a saturated fat material, kind of like butter. So I need some fat for it to function well.
      So right now I am following a Paleo diet, which includes very lean meats and healthy fats. It's so foreign to me to be able to eat fat. But it also is NO grains of any kind....gluten free or not. So that was an adjustment.
      We'll see how it goes, I'll keep updates coming. I do feel good now, and I've stopped copaxone on advice of my neuro. She wants me to start rebif..........we'll see.

Comment

You have to choose which science you believe and go with it.

eam123 - you didn't say how long you swanked and how it went for you. We don't know really, but I feel comforted by the fact that the diet was researched for many years. As I'm just starting out, I will go with that for now.

Good luck with your new diet - it must be strange to do such a comlete switch.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
          Good luck with your new diet - it must be strange to do such a comlete switch.
          Good luck from me too, eam 123.

As far as making a complete switch is concerned, yes it's an adjustment, but it isn't necessarily harder than a more gradual approach.

Speaking from personal experience as well as extensive reading on the subject of dietary change, when you make a complete switch you're no longer exposing yourself to the temptation of familiar tastes. Your palate readjusts in a relatively short period of time, and the new foods begin to seem tasty and satisfying.

It could be said that a gradual approach just prolongs the agony. Plus, if there are health benefits to be gained from changing the way you eat, the more quickly you switch the sooner your health will improve.

All of that being said, we each have to do what works best for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
            Good luck from me too, eam 123.

As far as making a complete switch is concerned, yes it's an adjustment, but it isn't necessarily harder than a more gradual approach.

Speaking from personal experience as well as extensive reading on the subject of dietary change, when you make a complete switch you're no longer exposing yourself to the temptation of familiar tastes. Your palate readjusts in a relatively short period of time, and the new foods begin to seem tasty and satisfying.

It could be said that a gradual approach just prolongs the agony. Plus, if there are health benefits to be gained from changing the way you eat, the more quickly you switch the sooner your health will improve.

All of that being said, we each have to do what works best for us.

That's a good point. I wasn't even thinking of the switch I made from "normal" to Swank (well, I can say Jelinek now that we're both following the same diet). I just thought that after making the switch to Swank, to change suddenly to something approximating the Atkins diet must be an even bigger shock.

Comment

That's a good point. I wasn't even thinking of the switch I made from "normal" to Swank (well, I can say Jelinek now that we're both following the same diet). I just thought that after making the switch to Swank, to change suddenly to something approximating the Atkins diet must be an even bigger shock.
              The Best Bet Diet (and its U.S. corollary, The MS Recovery Diet) are a far cry from Atkins, though, if one follows them properly. The emphasis is on vegetables and fruit, with a reasonable amount of fish and white meat poultry, and gluten-free grains if one chooses to eat them. Plus good fats such as olive and flaxseed oils, of course.

Comment

The Best Bet Diet (and its U.S. corollary, The MS Recovery Diet) are a far cry from Atkins, though, if one follows them properly. The emphasis is on vegetables and fruit, with a reasonable amount of fish and white meat poultry, and gluten-free grains if one chooses to eat them. Plus good fats such as olive and flaxseed oils, of course.

I was referring to the Paleo Diet, which I think is just an excuse to drop grains and eat meat.

Comment

I was referring to the Paleo Diet, which I think is just an excuse to drop grains and eat meat.
                  BigA, according to the Best Bet Diet website, the BBD is "essentially a 'Paleolithic Diet' (Eaton and Konner, 1985) and is the one which our genetic structure evolved in concert with over 2 million years. Thus it is very compatible with our genetic makeup and results in few if any biochemical failures."

I'm not making a case for (or against) the Paleo Diet here...just pointing out the similarities with BBD.

Comment

BigA, according to the Best Bet Diet website, the BBD is "essentially a 'Paleolithic Diet' (Eaton and Konner, 1985) and is the one which our genetic structure evolved in concert with over 2 million years. Thus it is very compatible with our genetic makeup and results in few if any biochemical failures."

I'm not making a case for (or against) the Paleo Diet here...just pointing out the similarities with BBD.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

As for the Paleo diet - I still doubt they know what was eaten. It's only a theory that sounds like some 20,000 year old natural diet. Also, these people were running around in the sun all day long and probably ate far less than any modern person ate. I doubt they would be seen sitting around, eating some mammoth with a berry sauce.

I think that the best we can find out is to study populations living right now.

Anyway, I'm just in a crappy mood today

Comment

Working...
                    X