Sharp Pain in the Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Pain in the Head

I have been having very sharp concentrated jabs of pain on the left side of my head (about two inches above the ear) for the past week or so.

It feels like it is inside my head (not on the surface of my head, I tried poking around and it doesn't trigger it). It comes and goes in waves, lasts about 3 second each time and has a pattern of bursts (I'll get about 7-10 in a row).

It is so powerful that I wince each time it happens. It is not a throbbing pain, or an ache, just a sharp, concentrated shooting sensation in what feels like my brain...

I thought it was related to chewing gum, but I stopped that and it continues. There appears to be no specific trigger - I can be sitting, standing or laying down, active or passive...

I called my MS Nurse who said what I am describing is typical ‘trigeminal neuralgia’. It is a common symptom in MS but easily managed with Gabapentin.

Has anyone else experienced something this?

Head pain

I have experienced these pains on and off.I sometimes
    feel that they are very sharp pains and sometimes
    they feel like lightning bolts striking my right side of
    my head.

Since I started on neurontin,they had almost disapered.
    Good luck,just know you are not alone.

Comment

I also have these pains. I get an episode maybe twice a year. Mine would last about 1 to 2 days, I can't imagine having them for week. I had one at work that literally knocked me to my knees from my chair, my coworkers rushed over but I assured them that I was ok. Too bad these are unexplained, I would really like to know what goes on.
      No weapon formed against ME shall prosper
      Isaiah 54:17

Comment

Well, I can't say I am "glad" that others have experienced this too, but I am relieved that there is precedent for it and it somewhat normal.

Lightning hitting your head - yeah, that about sums up how random and painful it is...good description.

Also encouraged that the neurontin is effective. I have just picked up the prescription so I can start immediately.

Thank you for replying so quickly, it is appreciated.

Comment

I have those sharp pains in my head as well, they are the same as you are describing. If I don't have a headache I have those sharp pains. I think it goes along with the MS. I haven't found anything that makes them go away. If you please let me know. Thank you and good luck.

Comment

I have them too

Yeah..I have this too. The pain is noticeable and "inside" my head. This thread has made me think I should mention it to my neuro.
            [I]Tellnhelen
            Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Same here. I keep eating lots of icies trying to get a brain freeze but I just can't get them anymore.

Comment

I get these but mine are unpredictable and very infrequent. before i read this post i actually called them 'rebif headaches' because i thought they were a side effect.. but i have started getting them on days that werent immediately following an injection...
                Laughter is a medicine with no side effects.
                26 y/o dx with RRMS @ 21. Rebif 44. Amantadine then Modafinal

Comment

Originally posted by moziz View Post
                  I have been having very sharp concentrated jabs of pain on the left side of my head (about two inches above the ear) for the past week or so.

It feels like it is inside my head (not on the surface of my head, I tried poking around and it doesn't trigger it). It comes and goes in waves, lasts about 3 second each time and has a pattern of bursts (I'll get about 7-10 in a row).

It is so powerful that I wince each time it happens. It is not a throbbing pain, or an ache, just a sharp, concentrated shooting sensation in what feels like my brain...

I thought it was related to chewing gum, but I stopped that and it continues. There appears to be no specific trigger - I can be sitting, standing or laying down, active or passive...

I called my MS Nurse who said what I am describing is typical ‘trigeminal neuralgia’. It is a common symptom in MS but easily managed with Gabapentin.

Has anyone else experienced something this?
                  I had stabbing pains in my head, thats what made me go to the Dr to find out what was wrong. Luckily, mine only lasted a week. I do seem to have a lot of headaches and never have had them much before.

Comment

Update...
                    My neurologist & MS nurse prescribed Gabapentin to manage the symptoms and overall it has been very effective over the last 4+ weeks.

It (the sharp pains) still occurs (and they both said it is possible that I'll continue to have this on an on-going basis) but is it MUCH better now. The incidents are much less severe, much less frequent too. Most trouble is at night where I wake up with the searing pain (the pain wakes me from a dead sleep).

Thanks to all for the replies.

Comment

Head drama

Im going thourgh the same thing n i was about to go back to my ms doctor ,because im having them more ,but i havent been taken my neuratin but im starting back on it.IM GLAD I GOT ON TODAY THANKS

Comment

thanks for posting I have been having these for a couple months Its' driving me batty really sharp pains the it moves and another sharp pain. like a rod probing in one spot to another. I have been just taking Tylenol and it hasn't worked I have had also cluster headaches and sharp pain behind eye. dizzy too. feeling like cr** for weeks. Glad to know it may get better over time it is quite concerning when nothing helps it.
                        Not dx yet, had symptoms now for 4 years. First Neuro App was August 5,10.MRI DEC 8,2010 Finally done. Original MRI was for July 4,2011

Comment

ive had the same kind of pain. It feels like someone just randomly stabbed me with an ice pick. its very sharp and intense.

Comment

Working...
                          X