Sea Salt and iodine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Salt and iodine

I'm creating recipe's in line with the Swank diet as my daughter in law describes it and she says she is going to only use sea salt. My question is since most (good) sea salt is not iodized, is this going to be a problem for her, and no she does not live near a leaky nuclear plant ?

We do need iodine in our diet so I use sea salt AND regular salt. . . not alot of either but I use both to make sure I'm getting the needed iodine. That's my thought. . . we'll see if others chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      I'm creating recipe's in line with the Swank diet as my daughter in law describes it and she says she is going to only use sea salt. My question is since most (good) sea salt is not iodized, is this going to be a problem for her, and no she does not live near a leaky nuclear plant ?
      My recommendation is to adamantly avoid highly heated table salt which is damaging to the kidneys.
      The easiest way to ensure adequate iodine in the diet is to include some sea vegetables such as kelp (iodine rich) in miso soup (fermented soy), and seaweed. I buy the sheets of seaweed and get them slightly wet sprinkle sea salt and/or other herbs on it and flash bake it in the oven. Makes a crispy treat. Or of course some brown rice sushi rolls. yuummm
      NutritionTara
      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Wakame is a sea vegetable available in most whole food stores. Soak a piece (or part of a piece) of it in cold water until it rehydrates, then remove the central rib and cut the rest into small pieces. Put it (along with the soaking water, which contains nutrients) in any soup or stew at the beginning of cooking. The wakame will pretty much dissolve, and you won't be aware you're eating seaweed!

Comment

We buy Japanese wakame and it comes in a bag all dried up. We just drop it straight into soup and it turn into strips, kind of like vegetable noodles. All flat and smooth. It has salt in it, so you use less when seasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
            We buy Japanese wakame and it comes in a bag all dried up. We just drop it straight into soup and it turn into strips, kind of like vegetable noodles. All flat and smooth. It has salt in it, so you use less when seasoning.
            The wakame I use is Japanese too (Eden); I haven't seen the kind that comes in strips. Sounds intriguing!

The same method I use for wakame works for kombu too, by the way. Kombu is a sturdier plant, and it works particularly well with dry beans (black, pinto, etc.) that are going to simmer for a long time. The beans come out really tender, and the kombu enhances their flavor.

Comment

Oh Yeah!

The oriental trend and the sea veggies are great ideas, thank you all!!! I'm shopping and cooking with sesame oil today!

Comment

ps

But keep the ideas coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                  The wakame I use is Japanese too (Eden); I haven't seen the kind that comes in strips. Sounds intriguing!

The same method I use for wakame works for kombu too, by the way. Kombu is a sturdier plant, and it works particularly well with dry beans (black, pinto, etc.) that are going to simmer for a long time. The beans come out really tender, and the kombu enhances their flavor.
                  Sorry to be unclear - it comes in dried crinkled strips. It's called Fueru Wakame (fueru is a kind). Once rehydrated, it is strips. It's probabl what you're looking at. We just throw it in the soup while it's cooking.

Comment

I don’t use a lot of salt when cooking and never add salt at the table.
                    I like sea salt on a few things, mainly sea food I don’t think vegetables need salt.
                    I do some caramelizing, add a little honey or other spices when I went to add extra flavor.

I also use coarse kosher salt, it is great for brining poultry and pork chops.
                    Once you had a brined chicken or turkey, most restraint poultry will taste dry and bland.
                    (Just be sure to rinse thoroughly after brining)
                    It is also good for when you wait a dish to have some scattered clean burst of salt flavor.

Kosher salt is also iodine free, so Tara tip on using seaweed is something I’m definitely going to use.
                    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Tara, Is the Hain's Sea Salt okay to use. It says it is made from evaporated sea water. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                        Sorry to be unclear - it comes in dried crinkled strips. It's called Fueru Wakame (fueru is a kind). Once rehydrated, it is strips. It's probabl what you're looking at. We just throw it in the soup while it's cooking.
                        Thanks for the clarification, BigA.

No, the kind I use is a full, broad leaf when it's rehydrated. To get strips I'd have to cut them myself.

Comment

Update...

When I took on this project initially, I went through all my recipes and checked for compiance with and in some cases adapted to The Swank diet (I also included some recipes that offered the opportunity for a little chating). I am pleasd to say that the "bad days" are very, very rare lately.

Comment

Working...
                          X