Shingles vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingle Shot

My Nero said NO,I had the shingles this summer around the neck and back of skull,and it really hurt I was out of work for2/months. personally I would not take a chance. And I herd that it was common with MS ,Hope this helps a little

Comment

I had a cousin that had MS and shingles. She didn't die from the MS, but shingles killed her. This is just your basic chicken pox virus, but when adults get it, it's more sneaky. She had the shingles in her eye, but when it passed the blood brain barrier in her brain her brain swelled up and she lapsed into a coma.
      When I was 8 years old I was friends with my local doctors son and when his daughter caught chicken pox he went out of his way to see that I was exposed.

Comment

Glory be! I had talked with my hubby about getting the shingles vaccine but he kept saying there was "no way" he was going to get it. Then suddenly, he has decided to get it. Our insurance pays for it completely as long as it is given in a provider's office. So his doctor gave him the script and he took it to our pharmacy.

I was surprised that it had to be ordered and found that it takes several months for it to come. The pharmcist told me that they make a batch when they get the number of orders that would use that amount. So it takes about 2-3 months for it to come. It comes frozen and they will call us when it comes so they can thaw it and we can pick it up and take it to his doctor's office.

I know I see in town that several of the pharmacies advertise they have the vaccine and you can get it there. But in our case, they wouldn't help us because we would have to take it to our doctor's office for the injection.

I will let you know how it goes when he gets his.

lydialou

Comment

shingles Vaccine

I had shingles a couple of months back and it is something I never want to get again. It was so painful, but thank god it didn't last long. My primary said that sometimes it lasts for months and sometimes never quite goes away. So I was one of the lucky one, I suppose. I certainly do not ever, ever want to get it again. they say it could be worse the second time around. My insurance company said they pay 100% if I am over the age of 60. So I am waiting for that to happen and I will get the vaccine without a doubt!!!!

Comment

Well my hubby had the vaccine and had no problems other than a little soreness from the injection.

Whew.

lydialou

Comment

Shingles at age 70

I was advised by a Neuro in PA a few years ago not to get the vaccine as it is a live virus and may not combine well with my MS. I came down with the shingles virus last August. It was miserable. It affected the same nerves as my MS which made things worse. Never again! My Neuro here in VA said OK to get the Zostervax vaccine. Both my wife and myself got vaccinated 4 days ago. Neither one of us had any reaction.

We took the scripts to a drug store and were vaccinated. Insurance paid for the vaccine, we each paid a $35.00 co-pay. I still have post neuralgic pain from the shingles. Dreadful virus!!

Comment

never did the shingle vaccine, figured i didnt need it since i worked floor coverings for a living LOL

Comment

Currently with active shingles for the 2nd time in as many months! I've had IV antivirals and plenty of oral ones!

Certainly agree...the second time, hurts worse! Sometimes, it hurts to breathe. Seems my virus originates in the thoracic area and is painfully stubborn!

I had the vaccine in 2011 in my M.D.'s office. Due to long-term health issues, it seemed prudent. Then dx of M.S. in 2012 and now, difficulty shaking off the shingles!

No one wants this pain, feels like a knife in the spine--where it originates from. I didn't have so much pain the first time.

The only good thing is, it is a pretty good excuse not to wear a bra! But, I'd rather wear a bra and get out, than deal with this breath seizing pain! Now, to medicate..sure is painful.

I've been down with it and the humidity for several daz. fed

Comment

As soon as I found out that my insurance, Kaiser Permanente in Northern California, covered it I called and made an appointment to get injected.

I remembered when my dad had the shingles and it was horrible, so I didn't think twice about it.

I had no bad reaction to it just a sore arm like the others have said.

I have PPMS.

Comment

I have been on Aubagio for four years, and I know it states that you cannot take live vaccines while on the medicine. I would suggest either reading your medication info or talking to the pharmacist about it before taking it.

Comment

New Shingrix vaccine

I just read about a new vaccine that the CDC is recommending for everyone over 50. Even those already vaccinated with Zostivax. It is not live so hopefully it will be recommended by MS docs. I'm not sure if it is available yet because the FDA just approved it.

Comment

Working...
                        X