Shingles vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingles vaccine

Has anyone been advised to not have a shingles vaccine because of MS?

My neuro (who runs a MS center in a university hospital) said it was fine to get a shingles shot. I was skeptical but chose to go ahead and have it two weeks ago and have suffered no negative results so far. My fear of shingles outweighed my skepticism.

Comment

I've had several Rituxan infusions and my doctor told me I couldn't have the shingles vaccine because the Rituxan lowers my immunity and the vaccine is live. I think that I could have the vaccine if I weren't using Rituxan.

Comment

A neurologist who visited our support group advised all MS patients to get the shingles vaccine. I did and had no adverse reaction, other than a sore arm.

Comment

i had a case of shingles in 2007 - right facial nerve. would not want it again. my right eye has not worked 'right' since then. also got a bell's palsey at that time.

mostly upper lid problems, but after studying which nerves supply eyelid and determining it's the inner part of my upper lid, i think it's related to MS and not shingles. (it's uncmfortable and a strain to keep it open. sometimes closes on its own - esp. when i read.)

anyway, to the question asked - i recently saw my neuro who is a 'youngish' neuro. she seems competent and has easily answered my questions about complementary medicine.

i asked her this visit about the shingles vacine. she pointedly advised me against it. her reasoning was with MS and live viral vaccines, you just never know what might happen. so i'm a bit hesitant to take it.

a little note re: resurgence of shingles in older population...it seems since kids have been getting vaccinated for chicken pox, more older people are getting shingles.

and the speculation is that when kids got chicken pox, others were exposed to that virus and it served to boost their immunity to that virus.

now that kids don't get chickenpox, our immunity to that virus is not staying at a protective level, therefore, we are getting shingles more often.

that might be a good reason for getting vaccinated, if your neuro okays it.
          If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Pattistorm View Post
            Has anyone been advised to not have a shingles vaccine because of MS?
            Both my PCP and my neurololgist said it was OK to get the shingles vaccination, so I did. About a year later, I came down with shingles. I was broken out about a third of the way around my torso. They itched but didn't hurt like I've heard others describe. My PCP said that was because of thje 3 Neurotin pills I take every day that had been prescribed by my neurologist.

Comment

I have a friend who just developed shingles. He is in terrible pain and broken out around his torso. He is taking an anti-viral medicine and his PCP gave him some mega-pain pills, too.

After talking with him, I wondered about the shingles vaccine adi I should take it. I talked to me internist (since I already was scheduled for a follow-up fr blood work) and he said he rarely gave the vaccine because insurance rarely covers it and it as so expensive (around $250) that folks couldn't afford it. I asked him what are the chances for getting them. He told me 1 in a 1000. He didn't urge me to get it or to consider it or anything.

I talked with my daughter who does family practice and formerly worked in a large hospital trauma center and she said she saw it all the time in the ER and she sees it a lot in the family area. She also told me that when they are gone I could have recurring pain for 4-6 more weeks. Yikes.

I should call my neuro and ask his opinion. I am glad that I saw this post so soon after my friend's dx and was able to read what others had to say.

Thanks!

lydialou

Comment

I have MS and had the shingles vaccine several years ago. Luckily, no reaction.

I used to do hospital nursing when I was able, and had many shingles patients inpatient on IV pain medicine infusions. Some had it reoccur long after the initial incident. There was a lot of suffering.

I paid $200 for the vaccine, just went to Kroger and made an appointment with the pharmacist, so no doctor visit fee. I have enough co-pays and non-covered medical expenses, unfortunately, for both my husband and myself so that we get an income tax deduction.

David Letterman suffered from shingles after his open heart surgery - stress of the surgery. My friend's dad fell and broke his hip, recovered from the hip surgery but had lingering pain from the shingles that occurred after.

My husband was scheduled for open heart - fortunately not an emergency, and his cardiologist who also happens to be a friend advised him to get the shot BEFORE the surgery. We were lucky, you just don't know what is lurking around the corner healthwise. It helps to be prepared if you can and your doctor advises it.

Comment

QUESTION

I just got the Rx to go get the shingles vaccine. I'm on Avonex... wondering if I should space it out so that it isn't too close to the Avonex injection... or if it matters. Anyone?

Comment

I still haven't called my neuro because I was thinking it would be better to wait until after the holidays.

I now have another friend who is still recovering from them. She had them on her torso, couldn't wear a bra at all and said they still hurt like h***.

Hey Ga Dancer-Was your pharmacist a good shot giver? I just don't picture mine as a shot giver of any kind. He's a nice man but..... I was kind of hoping to drag my daughter along and get her to give it to me. Might have to check the legalities of that.....

lydialou

Comment

My PCP recommended the pharmacist because he was nearby, stocked the vaccine and took care of all her patients. I made an appointment for myself and my husband.

As a nurse, I know how easy it is to give a shot - especially to someone else. But this pharmacist has a lot of practice.

Comment

I think it is really funny that some folks give terrific shots and others seem to need a lot more practice! Then again,those who need more practice may like the way they give shots!!!

I ran into someone at lunch who said he had seen Walgreens advertising on their store sign that they had Shingles vaccine in stock.

It must be a sign for me to get one! LOL

lydialou

Comment

I forgot to post this following my recent check-up. My neuro advised me against getting the shingles vaccine-due to the live virus.

lydialou

Comment

i get a case of the shingles at least once a year since 2007 and none of my doctors have told anything about a vaccine.
                            "only the strong survive"

"God don't make mistakes"

Comment

My understanding is that getting the vaccine after you have shingles can help with how you feel should you get another attack.

I am so sorry that this has beome an annual event for you!

lydialou

Comment

Working...
                              X