Spastiticy and MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spastiticy and MRI

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some answers. Over a year ago I was dx'd with myositis, another autoimmune disease. In June of last year, I developed a tremor after receiving Rituxan for the myositis. Docs thought it was related to the Rituxan or depression. I have had spasticity since then, but I thought it was part of the tremor.

The myositis has been stable on the Rituxan until about a month ago when I ended up in the hospital with the classic extreme weakness and fatigue and shortness of breath can be caused by the proximal muscle damage of the disease. Labs indicated it was not a flare of myositis. An MRI was ordered and because of the SOB, I requested some Ativan to get through the MRI. It only worked for about half the time and then the spasticity in my legs got really bad, almost felt like the MRI was exacerbating the spasms.

the MRI was inconclusive due to "patient movement." Well duh??? On physical exam I have the spasticity, tremor, decreased sensation on right side (head to toe), hyperreflexia, and the shortness of breath. Neurologists concluded it is upper motor neuron but can't say what the cause is.

After a week in the hospital, I was sent home with no treatment whatsoever. MS was not mentioned at that time as a differential diagnosis. This past week I saw my rheumatologist who suggested this possibility and is working to get the appropriate tests ordered. He wants to order another MRI of the C and T spine to check for lesions and an LP. I'll go through anything to get a definitive dx and not be practically immobile.

Does anyone have experience with spasticity and MRIs and what can they do to get a good scan. My doc is concerned about giving me too much Ativan due to the SOB. He doesn't want to cause respiratory arrest and I'm with him, but I do want to get some answers.

Any advice is so appreciated. Thankfully I worked for a teaching hospital here in TN and am still under their insurance. However, the neurology dept has pretty much said they don't know what is wrong and can't help me. Thank goodness for my rheumy who is my only advocate.

Thanks again for any advice.

Danni

Have your MRI at a hospital-based facility (where there are physicians and qualified medical personnel on site) and get the sedation necessary to get a good scan.

rex

Comment

Working...
    X