Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif and internal thermostat

Hey all,

I have a question regarding Rebif and how it may effect my bodies ability to regulate heat.
    I've been on Rebif now for a few months and have noticed that my internal temperature gauge seems to go "all out of whack" on the in between days. I feel like I am burning up and need o strip down to a tee-shirt to keep cool.
    It dosen't happen every shot but often enough to make me notice and worry a little bit about it.

Does anyone know if I should be worried about it?

Cheers,

Arthur
    " An eye for an eye; and soon the whole world is blind" -- Mahatma Ghandi

Rebif?

Arthur, I'm not really sure if it's the Rebif or it's the MS!?
    I too, have a great deal of problems with what seems to be a body temp thing! I am on Copaxone,however, and do know that my MS can be affected by temperature change.

I have to remind myself about not getting my head under too hot a shower, or watch how hot it is outside. I believe that MS has a real affect on how your body/brain regulates temperature change,so I watch for those triggers that can cause a problem. But I have just been sitting, as well, doing absolutely nothing, and have a sudden heat spell come on.

I even had one come on in the Neuros office,she saw the change in me, had my blood pressure checked, along with a check of my sugar level, and nothing "came up!"

Sooooo......I dunno if I have helped or answered your question, but your not alone,MS does some wierd things!

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I first thought it was just the MS but it seems to only happen after my Rebif shot.
      It my be tied to how my MS reacts to the interferon but it definitely seems to be tied.

Comment

Originally posted by YukonArthur View Post
        Thanks for the reply!

I first thought it was just the MS but it seems to only happen after my Rebif shot.
        It my be tied to how my MS reacts to the interferon but it definitely seems to be tied.
        Could it be a flu like response after your injection?

Comment

Hi CanadianGirl,

It is different than any sort of flu heat I have ever had. I know it is MS and not the flu but I can only explain it as "different".
          It's like I've just spent an hour on my bike having a workout, without the sweat.... thankfully.

I've just chalked it up to being just how my MS is but wanted to get some others opinions.

Thanks for replying

Keep positive and smiling!

Comment

How long have you been on the Rebif? I take avonex and used to get the chills. You're not supposed to get a real flu, so it doesn't need to be exactly like getting the flu. From what I understand, the body creates interferon when you have the flu and that's why the effects feel similar.

Comment

I've been on Rebif now for a few months and have noticed that my internal temperature gauge seems to go "all out of whack" ...

Excellent description! During my first few months of Rebif, this happened a lot (started Oct 08) -- I don't remember if it was the in-between days or not, but yes, the temperature gauge was definitely messed up... It doesn't happen as often now (maybe once every couple of months) thank goodness!

Learned the hard way a couple of times: Dress in layers...

Several women I work with are getting hot-flashes that occur fairly regularly, and I remember thinking that MS / Rebif is really unfair -- I'm way too young for stuff like that... <sigh>

Luckily, it doesn't happen often, and most of the time, my flu-like symptoms have also gone away (fingers crossed that writing that down won't jinx it!)

Hope that helps!

Comment

I've got this awesome trick now.... if I FINALLY find myself in a comfy temperature (like 28 or so) and I drink a cold glass of water.. or get ice cream. My fingernails turn blue/grey.

I've been on Rebif since '06... less than a year after I was dx... sooo I have no idea if it's the R or the MS.

*raises her arms horizontally in front of herself and walks away moaning like a zombie*
                Laughter is a medicine with no side effects.
                26 y/o dx with RRMS @ 21. Rebif 44. Amantadine then Modafinal

Comment

Hey Arthur,
                  Better be thankful you don't have hot flashes in combination w/ rebif!! I've been taking it since '04 after taking Avonex and it definitely exacerbates the temp fluctuation. I know MS affects the thermostat as well, but the drugs exagerate temp as well. Add menopause and you have spontaneous combustion!

Comment

Working...
                  X