No announcement yet.

Anyone else Vit D deficient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's cool scooter. How long did it take yours to go up that much?
    Shawn

Comment

Vitamin D

Mine was low too, test came back at 8. Did the prescription for 2 months and 1000 iu's daily for month after that. Just had blood work done again and will see what is this time!

Comment

Vitamin D Linked to Immune Defenses

Found this article:
        nature.com/ni/journal/v11/n4/full/ni.1851.html

Scientists have discovered that vitamin D is crucial to activating our immune defenses. When there are insufficient levels of vitamin D immune cells such as T – lymphocytes and natural killer cells do not properly fight off infections. T – lymphocyte activation requires vitamin D. Without proper mobilization and activation of T – lymphocytes, our body can not fight off infections adequately.
        -------------------------------------

I have been working with Health Professionals in their offices and noticed the Vitamin D is one of the most prescribed supplements to their patients. We just don't get enough sun anymore, and too much sun will kill you. A catch 22.

Comment

Hi, I am new here. I thought this was an interesting thread as I was recently diagnosed with MS and found out that I am Vit. D Deficient (19). That level was after taking 1 month of 1,000 units per day. The first neuro I saw started me on Vit. D without taking a blood level first. My new doctor at the MS clinic now has me on 2,400 units per day with the D coming from calcium pills, D3 pills and a one a day vitamin. I get rechecked in a few months and we'll see how I'm doing.

Comment

Roo - you should report him. What a terrible doctor.

Comment

very low Vit D levels too

I have been diag w/ MS since 12/08 - and my neuro recently said I should be tested for my vit D levels - which came back at 13 - she also has me taking one 50,000 dose once a week for a year she said - however I am getting it checked next week to see if the first few months have helped to elevate it. I sure hope it did!

I guess it is more common than I thought in those of us w/ MS - I wonder why???

Comment

I was diagnosed almost 2 months ago....while in the hospital my primary doc came in, plops down and says, "what is going on with your vitamin D level?" I replied, "I don't even know what Vitamin D is!" Anyway, it should be over 30 and mine was 8 so I have been taking a pill once a week that is 50,000 i.u. I am going tomorrow to have my level tested. And hopefully I will be able to start the chewable over the counters!

Comment

Originally posted by kate8103 View Post
                  I was diagnosed almost 2 months ago....while in the hospital my primary doc came in, plops down and says, "what is going on with your vitamin D level?" I replied, "I don't even know what Vitamin D is!" Anyway, it should be over 30 and mine was 8 so I have been taking a pill once a week that is 50,000 i.u. I am going tomorrow to have my level tested. And hopefully I will be able to start the chewable over the counters!
                  Are you taking D2 or D3? I ask because the D3 form is more useable by the body.

Also, I'm afraid the chewable OTC tablets aren't such a good idea. Vitamin D in softgels is much better than the dry tablets.

Comment

My level is at 36 which is apparently still "low". My neuro advised me to increase my Vitamin D from 2000i.u daily to 4000i.u.

Comment

You want to get your levels up quickly. More flairs occur with low levels of VitaminD. My conservative doc started me on 5000IU per day, which I doubled (the nurses and all the literature said this is OK). After 3 months, I went from 12 to 56, which is still lower than reccomended for an MSer.

You can get 5000iu tablets in the stores now.

Comment

Actually, if you look in the other thread, you can see tara reccomends 20,000iu per day until you get up to the proper level

"20,000/day until optimal levels are reached; 80 non-MS and 100+ for MS. Google vit D toxicity, you won't find much."

Comment

Low Vitamin D

After nearly three decades of having MS, my current neuro decided to order a Vit D test...of which I failed. (An unmeasurable, less than 3 result.) She prescribed 50,000 IU/week, for eight weeks.

I'm a sun-lover and make sure I'm in direct (unprotected) sunlight everyday (when possible) for no less than thirty minutes. Doesn't seem to help. I suspect I've probably been D2 deficient most of my life. I also strictly limit fat intake, so it'll be interesting to see how well the eight-week course works.

Comment

Tom,

go to my user page and there is a link for VitaminD. From what I understand, bringing your VitaminD level up (many say 100) will have a SIGNIFICANT effects on your MS. In that way, it's a good thing that you're deficiant. BTW, your neruo seems deficiant as well if he's just now ordering this.

You should take at least 10k per day until you get your levels up. Your doc is seems conservative and waited for most Neuros to agree that VitaminD is important before embarassing himself by prescribing it.

Look into it. It could be the best DMD you take.

Comment

I don’t know my level yet, but I’m taking 3000iu of D-3.

I also just started into works have my fluorescent lighting change to full spectrum fluorescent light bulbs. Anyone know how much D can I aspect from the change, there a three pair of 4’ lights in the ceiling in my office. Should have only one pair changed, this is all so new to me.

It was so easy I can’t believe I did not think to ask years ago, I properly will even be able to grow plants in my office.
                              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I came on to check old posts for vitamin D deficiency and, wow, it was already a topic! lol

I just started a twice weekly 50,000 iu treatment because my level was only at a 4.

Anyway, thanks for the info that I didn't have to search old posts for!!
                                Mis-Diagnosed with Parkinson's for 1 year.
                                Now being watched and tested for Neurological Movement Disorder, most likely MS.

Comment

Working...
                                X