No announcement yet.

Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Shashi, the website is mentioned is very professionally run. I also had a chat online, they assured me that they are supplying to people in India, I have ordered one bottle (getting another one free) on a trial basis, I'am more worried about the customs part in India. Fingers crossed. Will post feedback.

Comment

Just today recieved the capsules. Impressive, in 9 days flat I recieved the box from Puritan, from US to India. Really impressive, faster the Amazon,the capsules are a combo of 200/400 instead of 200/1000 as Shashi suggests, however will try this first. Shashi is there a 200/1000 combo in Puritan's site? How do you order it?

Comment

mahiyar, I'm glad you received your order from Puritan's Pride okay. That was fast indeed!

I checked and didn't see a 1,000/200 combo. I usually just buy them separate. It costs more that way, of course, but I've decided that I'd gladly give up other things to keep this feeling of being normal.

I hope they work for you. Let us know.

Hugs,

Lisa
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

? for Shashi

Hi there! I upped my dosage of L-carnitine to 100mg as you suggested and then ran out. Went to get more when I noticed there are 2 kinds - Acetyl L-carnitine and just L-carnitine. I asked for help from the nutritionist and was told ALC was more helpful for memory and the plain LC for energy! The bottle of the LC says " carnitine releases fatty acids allowing them to be converted into energy" It also says it supports heart, lung and circulatory health.

All so good!! But, I am confused now about ALC vs LC in regards to combating fatigue. Any thoughts?
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha, all of the studies I saw for MS and chronic fatigue syndrome were with acetyl L-carnitine. I'm not sure what the difference is or if it would matter. You could do a Google search and see if there would be more benefit of one over the other.

Hugs,

Lisa
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

jury's back!!!!

I've been taking these everyday and boy what a difference! Today my DH yelled at me for doing to much (pruning and raking). Funny, I feel great and he fell asleep right after dinner! Thank you Shashi for posting about this!

Comment

Two years ago I was dx with MS. The fatigue was overwhelming. I tried admantadine, nothing but headaches. I tried 4-AP and it helps with the mental fatigue but very little for the physical. I then got my D checked and started anti-depressants. I had about 3 decent weeks and then I had a flare that knocked me on my butt again. Fatigue was horrible and started getting worse.

Two months ago I got a Cpap machine and it took care of my "falling asleep driving" but did very little for my general fatigue.

Two weeks ago I could barely walk to my mail box to check the mail without being exhausted. During a rant on these boards someone suggested I try that I try these two supplements.

Three days after I started I was able to do 20 minutes of aerobics. I'm up to 50 minutes of step aerobics a day and I've lost 7 pounds in two weeks. I've made a good start of getting caught up on my two years worth of housecleaning. I still have some fatigue but that could be from two years of no activity. My only hope is that it lasts.

Long story short, it worked wonders for me and I hope it works as well for everyone.

Ruth

Comment

Hi! I just found this thread, this is so great you all having wonderful results! I've been taking ALA alone, wanted to try it out. I read about it in another blog. So far it's been about 1 1/2 weeks and I do feel like I can do more. Of course like today I pushed myself and now I want to go to sleep and it's not even 9pm yet. I'm wondering if I take the combo if I will feel better. There are so many doses available. Be well everyone!

Comment

Shashi, you talked me into it. Snaged a bottle of 200mG combo pills today and will start the experiment tomorrow AM. I'm going to try just the suppliment first without Amantadine to see if there's a difference. I'm planning to give the ALA/AC at least two months, switching between the suppliment and the Rx every couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
                      Shashi, you talked me into it. Snaged a bottle of 200mG combo pills today and will start the experiment tomorrow AM. I'm going to try just the suppliment first without Amantadine to see if there's a difference. I'm planning to give the ALA/AC at least two months, switching between the suppliment and the Rx every couple of weeks.

Hi Bob698.

Keep in mind that the therapeutic dosage of ALC when taken for MS fatigue is at least 1,000 mg (2,000 mg was actually used, but I started lower.) I just want to be sure that you're taking enough to be effective.

Let me know how it goes.

Hugs,

Lisa

Comment

One might consider taking ALCAR an hour or so before meals, my understanding is that amino acids compete for intestinal absorption and also compete for brain blood barrier crossing. Also one might also consider using R-lipoic acid instead of ALA, R-lipoic is reported to be the active fraction of ALA.

Ran

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                          Hi Bob698.

Keep in mind that the therapeutic dosage of ALC when taken for MS fatigue is at least 1,000 mg (2,000 mg was actually used, but I started lower.) I just want to be sure that you're taking enough to be effective.

Let me know how it goes.

Hugs,

Lisa
                          I know, what I'm taking now are 400mG ALC/200 mG ALA caps. I'm going to increase as time goes on to see how it effects me and will also be stepping up the dosage with and without Amantadine. So far, I'm only out $4 from the local Bentonville's Revenge.

Comment

WHere to find

Bronson Labs is usually the cheapest to find it combined in one pill. I have ordered from them for about 3 and a half years.

Acetyl L Carnitine w/Alpha Lipoic acid is basically the same stuff as Juvenon you can google.

It has studied in the aging process and with very good results.

Comment

WebMD video re ALA

I found a WebMD video that specifically discusses the use of ALA for MS fatigue....and the subject in the video is an MD with MS herself! webmd.com/video/ms-treatment-study

You might have to play around with the site; there are other videos there plus advertisements for yogurt!

On another note, today I bought Nature's Bounty ALC400/ALA200 and will begin taking it tomorrow. For those of you with a Kroger store nearby they are currently offering buy one, get one free for all Nature's Bounty supplements.

Comment

Hi Shashi,

A BIG thankyou!! I started the supplements two weeks ago (just one tablet at this point) and I have really been feeling the difference.

You might be the worlds biggest fan of anti oxidants, but right now I am yours!

Thanks again for your generous recommendation!

Di

Comment

Working...
                                X