Endless symptoms, endless questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Endless symptoms, endless questions

Over the past almost year I have had pain in my right knee that IS NOT joint pain.

The kicker is that this same knee is the one part of my body that has suffered the most in terms of falling on it or twisting it. It has happened to varying degrees at least a half dozen times.

About one year ago I did both in close succession. First twisting it stepping up onto a curb and losing my balance and a few weeks later a bad bout of vertigo caused me to fall directly on it.

What is bothering me is this. I would expect pain in healing etc...but after it had healed and I was pain free from the injury, a new pain appeared along with weakness.

It's a burning, searing pain that feels more like its in the ligaments or muscle and not in the joint. The pain is especially bad when I'm on my feet and hills and stairs are my worst enemy because of both the pain and weakness. I'm forty-four years old and when it's bothering me I need to support myself to climb stairs, and avoid hills, which is hard to do where I live when walking my dog.

This pain also fluctuates in the sense that for weeks at a time its really bad, and then fades but is still there and as of yesterday it is gone. This has happened before and the pain always comes back. It might be a couple days or more but it always comes back.

Anti-inflammatory meds don't work, nor do pain relieving creams including Live Relief, Aleve and extra strength Advil. The pain and weakness is causing me to compensate and my hip on the same side is causing me grief too.

On a side note that may or may not be related I have issues with my right arm from shoulder to fingertips as well. Thus far without further diagnosis of other symptoms my Nurse Practitioner has determined tendonitis in my shoulder and suspected early signs of carpal tunnel in my forearm.

They too are pains and issues that come and go in duration and severity and it too becomes worse with movement.

I am in Limbo. EEG results (suspected focal seizures, and anomalies in the left temporal lobe) lead to MRI in May so hoping for more info after that. I'm not jumping to conclusions, this has just been the best forum considering how varying all my symptoms and flares of pain etc...are.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You may want to get an appt with an orthopedic Dr. Why I say this is because after many repeated falls and injuring my ankle, I found out I had a torn ligament requiring surgery. The pain was not constant, but was more severe after walking lots. This may not be your situation and it could be a tendon problem or a meniscal tear, but an appt with an ortho couldn't hurt.

Check this out - it refers to damage b/c of age or disease, but can occur with injuries.

"A ligament is a strong price of fibrous connective tissue that connects two bones together to form a joint. They help to provide support and stability to a joint during movement. X-rays do not show injuries to a ligament, but can show fractures associated with a broken bone. However, one exception is a stress x-ray, which can demonstrate instability of a joint and imply that the ligament has been torn to allow a joint to have non physiologic motion like a shoulder dislocation or a torn ligament in an ankle sprain. An MRI is the best radiographic study to confirm the diagnose a ligament injury. An MRI uses magnetic wave to show normal and abnormal tissues like ligaments, muscles, cartilage, tendons, bones, and fluids like inflammation, water, blood or infection.

When ligaments are damaged due to aging or disease, the joint may lose the support, stability and or the normal movement of the joint. Consequently, the unstable joint may develop secondary changes such as swelling, deformity, dislocation, loose bodies, or arthritis which can be seen on an x-rays. To learn more about ligament damages seen on x-rays, visit with your orthopaedic surgeon."

https://www.anationinmotion.org/orth...e-show-x-rays/

I hope you can find out what's going on!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you

That has been a consideration on my mind as well. Here I have to see my own PCP first and if a referral is required she will do so.

Thank you for the information.

Comment

Hi LibraAngel74

Spasticity may also be a consideration.

I get it around my left knee at times, but it doesn't last very long. It happens sometimes while walking, and feels like my leg will give out. If I stop and stand for a moment, I can then feel the muscle loosen up.

"Spasticity may be as mild as the feeling of tightness of muscles or may be so severe as to produce painful, uncontrollable spasms of extremities, usually of the legs. Spasticity may also produce feelings of pain or tightness in and around joints, and can cause low back pain. Although spasticity can occur in any limb, it is much more common in the legs."

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...oms/Spasticity

In any case, hopefully your doctor can figure it out, and you find relief.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
        X